Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:49 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,732,666 times

Advertisements

Haven't been called out a bit and no need for sorry. I deal with Uber and their policies as stated and what is put on my Amex account. I'm not interested in listening to ppl that signed up with Uber and now throw their parent company into the toilet bowl. Last week I used Uber 5 times and every time they were respectful and thankfull for the trip. For example I went from my house to 1790 for cocktails. No more than 2 1/2 miles. Fare was about 7.75. Driver had no problem. If fact
Asked me if I was going to be around later for another trip somewhere.

On the other hand I have had six years of $33 fares from the airport to the house when it is now about $21.
Called out? I don't think so. Cry babies at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Lets take a look at "tips being included"

we will use savannah yellow cab's fare estimator on their website and uber's in app Estimate.

trip from 1 E Bay st to 12000 Abercorn.

Yellow cab: $36
Uber: $15-$21

You still tip the yellow cab, but somehow think the uber at 1/2 the price has a tip included?
And that's my problem?? Bet you're voting for Bernie. Right? I fully expect for you to come back at this a few more times and blah blah about the moral ethics or some other crappola. Count me out for a response.

Read the whole chapter on economics in a free society before you go to another level that is not used in this society. You'll reduce your frustration level.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,995,875 times
Wait. Are we arguging that you SHOULD tip your Uber driver? Or that it's not necessary because it's already included?

I forgot ... :-)

Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,467,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
And that's my problem?? Bet you're voting for Bernie. Right? I fully expect for you to come back at this a few more times and blah blah about the moral ethics or some other crappola. Count me out for a response.

Read the whole chapter on economics in a free society before you go to another level that is not used in this society. You'll reduce your frustration level.
No need to respond! I have better things to do than argue with someone who tries to belittle a person when they were wrong about tipping. Very classy!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,436,231 times
I drive for Uber in Atlanta but have family in Savannah. Be nice to visit and work awhile when i'm in the area.How is it?Is there high demand for drivers or is it slow most of the time,

Old 05-24-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wait. Are we arguging that you SHOULD tip your Uber driver? Or that it's not necessary because it's already included?

Basically a discussion about what is the policy of Uber regarding "tip included" or not.
The first time I used Uber ( out of state) I tipped the driver. When I mentioned this to my son who uses Uber on a daily basis he said that it was incorrect and followed up with sending me a link to a statement from the CEO of Uber. In that statement, which I'm sure anyone can find on line, he stated quite clearly the tipping process.

It is my strong opinion the system to set up to be "cashless" and in my own experience now with Uber extra tips have NEVER been mentioned prior to the poster that brings that idea here.

I encourage y'all to do your own research on line. In the meantime I think I know the what Uber drivers expect but as always I'm willing to learn if I'm mistaken.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Newboy it call being cheap. Its really no argument! Lol, I hope to never receive a request from that person. Who in the world need a statement to give you permission to tip. I personal tip anyone that provides good service.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 AM

23,563 posts, read 44,263,596 times
As many horrible taxi experiences as l've had in my lifetime, l can't see why anyone would be overly concerned about Uber.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 AM

47 posts, read 51,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Basically a discussion about what is the policy of Uber regarding "tip included" or not.
The first time I used Uber ( out of state) I tipped the driver. When I mentioned this to my son who uses Uber on a daily basis he said that it was incorrect and followed up with sending me a link to a statement from the CEO of Uber. In that statement, which I'm sure anyone can find on line, he stated quite clearly the tipping process.

It is my strong opinion the system to set up to be "cashless" and in my own experience now with Uber extra tips have NEVER been mentioned prior to the poster that brings that idea here.

I encourage y'all to do your own research on line. In the meantime I think I know the what Uber drivers expect but as always I'm willing to learn if I'm mistaken.
From https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609...5-b9c7de5ec073 Uber's website: (sorry - may not be permitted to post hyperlinks yet)

Quote:
Do I need to tip my driver?

The Uber app cannot include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.

Where available as a vehicle option, uberTAXI is an exception. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required. As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.
So, is it encouraged? No. But as you can see, tipping IS accepted and NOT included. That goes back to the history of Uber as I mentioned in my previous post. For some reason, Uber is trying to buck the entire service industry. I don't know why. Please remember that drivers have zero input in Uber's policies and rates.

I don't want to create animosity between drivers and riders. That's not the point of my posting here. I'm certainly not out to get Pink Caddy or to "call him out". But the statement was initially made that on Uber, tipping is included. That's just not true at all. You can feel free to make your own decision, but let me please express my frustration after taking a nice couple from the airport to a nice downtown hotel, loading their bags, opening the door for the Mrs. letting them ride in my personal very clean, odor-free, smoke-free, mechanically sound car, providing a safe, comfortable ride while engaging in conversation (if desired), pointing out landmarks and things to do, unloading their bags from my trunk, opening the door for the Mrs. again, only to watch them tip a bell hop for 5 minutes of putting their bags on their cart while saying, "Thanks! 5-stars buddy!" I can assure you that 5 stars were not reciprocated.

Just ask yourself - if Uber is so much cheaper than a cab, and Uber is taking 25% of that cheaper fare, what sort of money do you think the driver is making?

Last edited by tiktok4321; 05-24-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok4321 View Post
From https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609...5-b9c7de5ec073 Uber's website: (sorry - may not be permitted to post hyperlinks yet)

So, is it encouraged? No. But as you can see, tipping IS accepted and NOT included. That goes back to the history of Uber as I mentioned in my previous post. For some reason, Uber is trying to buck the entire service industry. I don't know why. Please remember that drivers have zero input in Uber's policies and rates.

I don't want to create animosity between drivers and riders. That's not the point of my posting here. I'm certainly not out to get Pink Caddy or to "call him out". But the statement was initially made that on Uber, tipping is included. That's just not true at all. You can feel free to make your own decision, but let me please express my frustration after taking a nice couple from the airport to a nice downtown hotel, loading their bags, opening the door for the Mrs. letting them ride in my personal very clean, odor-free, smoke-free, mechanically sound car, providing a safe, comfortable ride while engaging in conversation (if desired), pointing out landmarks and things to do, unloading their bags from my trunk, opening the door for the Mrs. again, only to watch them tip a bell hop for 5 minutes of putting their bags on their cart while saying, "Thanks! 5-stars buddy!" I can assure you that 5 stars were not reciprocated.

Just ask yourself - if Uber is so much cheaper than a cab, and Uber is taking 25% of that cheaper fare, what sort of money do you think the driver is making?
Nice response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: