Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:19 AM

89 posts, read 86,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Never been to SCC but from what I heard it was rather political and convservative..is it not so?
I would like to hear more about that myself if anyone attends/attended. We are not completely against a more conservative atmosphere (it is church after all) but we are also turned off when political issues get thrown into the mix of the service or are a prominent part of the culture.

That probably came out odd - not quite sure how to phrase it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Never been to SCC but from what I heard it was rather political and convservative..is it not so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
I would like to hear more about that myself if anyone attends/attended. We are not completely against a more conservative atmosphere (it is church after all) but we are also turned off when political issues get thrown into the mix of the service or are a prominent part of the culture.

That probably came out odd - not quite sure how to phrase it.
I have never known SCC to get involved in anything political, but I'm not a member ... just an observer and occasional attendee. I'm pretty sensitive to these things and nothing they've ever done publicly has rubbed me the wrong way, unlike quite a few other churches (and politicians) in town. I have a REAL problem with the heavy-handed politics played by many so-called "ministers" in the black community, for example. As a Protestant, I've also been quite appalled at many of the positions taken by the Catholic Church, of course, and the denominational split between Espisopalians and Anglicans. Not that any church is perfect, but that people for some reason think evangelical Christians are the only crazy ones with misguided agendas. They're all a bit screwy if you ask me.

Faith is simply a personal relationship between yourself and a higher power. When you start to apply ritual and rules and group speak to something personal, that's a recipe for trouble and where all our misunderstanding and conflict over "religion" comes from.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM

94 posts, read 114,831 times
I went to a Savannah Christian service in downtown once. It reminded me of the Buckhead Church cult. Churches like that are often labeled as liberal for allowing gays to walk through the doors and put money in the offering plate. I don't really consider that to be liberal unless they have or welcome uncelibate gays in leadership positions.

I went to an event sponsored by Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church - I don't know how big the church is but they had enough money to host a fairly expensive event, bringing a Sundance documentary to Savannah pre-release and also bringing the producer and some the cast members for a Q&A afterwards. There appeared to be a ton of gays dressed in church garb at the event who appeared to be members of the church.

Not trying to make this a gay topic, but I think how a church treats gay/trans people is the best indicator of how liberal or conservative it is.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:59 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPlanner View Post
I went to a Savannah Christian service in downtown once. It reminded me of the Buckhead Church cult. Churches like that are often labeled as liberal for allowing gays to walk through the doors and put money in the offering plate. I don't really consider that to be liberal unless they have or welcome uncelibate gays in leadership positions.

I went to an event sponsored by Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church - I don't know how big the church is but they had enough money to host a fairly expensive event, bringing a Sundance documentary to Savannah pre-release and also bringing the producer and some the cast members for a Q&A afterwards. There appeared to be a ton of gays dressed in church garb at the event who appeared to be members of the church.

Not trying to make this a gay topic, but I think how a church treats gay/trans people is the best indicator of how liberal or conservative it is.
Asbury UMC is the most liberal church in Savannah and pretty much regarded as "the gay church" so ... yeah. They also emphasize the arts and free expression of faith, which attracts much of the city's creative class. You won't hear hellfire and brimstone preached at Asbury, or even any evangelical gospel for that matter really. It serves a purpose and has place by engaging a segment of Chrisitians who've been disenfranchised by mainstream churches.

But ultra-liberal churches make me as ununcomfortable as ultra-conservative ones.

To each his own.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

But ultra-liberal churches make me as ununcomfortable as ultra-conservative ones.

To each his own.
We'd love to find what we would consider in the middle of the ultra spectrum you describe above Newsboy!

Hoping it won't take us too long once we get settled.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:23 PM

47 posts, read 51,591 times
I've attended SCC a couple of times. Here's my two cents worth.

The Good
A church doesn't get this big by accident. It's a good church with a lot of good programs. They are pretty conservative in their beliefs but have open arms out for everyone.

The Bad
My son is 10. He accepted Christ and was baptized when he was 4. I'm pretty sensitive to those that believe that's too young, but I can assure you it was a decision he made, and to this day he knows the decision he made and why. But when asked in Children's Church that question, he answered, and was told to step aside because he wasn't old enough to come to that decision on his own. Thus, he wasn't allowed to enjoy communion.

So, we probably aren't going back.

There is a church on Tibet Ave called Savannah Progressive Church - an interesting name for a Primitive Baptist church.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok4321 View Post
I've attended SCC a couple of times. Here's my two cents worth.

The Bad
My son is 10. He accepted Christ and was baptized when he was 4. I'm pretty sensitive to those that believe that's too young, but I can assure you it was a decision he made, and to this day he knows the decision he made and why. But when asked in Children's Church that question, he answered, and was told to step aside because he wasn't old enough to come to that decision on his own. Thus, he wasn't allowed to enjoy communion.
That is terrible!

Did any of the adults who denied your son communion come speak to you when you picked him up or did they just send him on his way?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Are you sure you are in a biblical church communion should always bring you closer to Jesus and not take you away. Some prefer the letter of the law and not the spirit.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPlanner View Post

Christian are supposed to love everyone equally regardless of orientation. We don't have to agree with the lifestyle but are commanded to love everyone. Henceforth the measuring stick is a love for everyone and not just gays.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 AM

47 posts, read 51,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
That is terrible!

Did any of the adults who denied your son communion come speak to you when you picked him up or did they just send him on his way?
They just sent him on his way. You'd think that if it were that important, they'd want to communicate this with the parents.

I sent an email to seven staff members the very next day. I hadn't heard back in a full week, so this Monday I sent a 2nd email. I almost immediately received a response saying sorry....for not getting back with me sooner and they'll talk about it with the senior pastor. It's Wednesday and I haven't heard any resolution, but I don't expect to hear back until at earliest some time today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area