Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:41 PM

89 posts, read 86,766 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Savannah and are looking to find some churches we can visit to hopefully find a place we want to attend once we have moved.

We have been to Savannah Christian Church on 2 different visits and did enjoy the services however having had a bad experience at a large church we also want to look into smaller churches.

If anyone can share personal experiences they've had attending SCC (good AND bad) that would be great.

If anyone can recommend something other than SCC, that would be great as well.

We are left-leaning Christians.

Non-denominational is good but we're open to trying a denomination just not of the Catholic faith. Like I said above, smaller than SCC so maybe no larger than 650 would be good. Contemporary preferred over traditional but again, a traditional, specific denomination won't be ruled out simply because of those two things before a visit.

We're also looking to move into a neighborhood somewhere between the 2 malls so a reasonable distance from around there is best.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,732,666 times
Just curious and for my continuing education...what is a "left leaning Christian"?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Just curious and for my continuing education...what is a "left leaning Christian"?
Christ following liberal - basically.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:41 PM

50,469 posts, read 64,328,280 times
Some people are not aware that most Christians are not right wing evangelicals.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
Christ following liberal - basically.

Still, clear as mud to me (the expression and your response). Sorry don't mean to be snarky.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM

ETA: Not the right forum to discuss my question. Forget it. I'll figured it out on my own. I get the picture. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,995,875 times
Savannah Christian has multiple campuses, including one on the east side off Truman Parkway that may be more size-suitable for you. They are a MEGA CHURCH by definition but do embrace a more lenient / middle of the road theology (gay and lesbian members are welcome for example). For being the biggest church in town, they keep a fairly low profile -- all the while doing a lot of good work, such as inner city mission projects, that don't get a lot of publicity.

On the whole, churches in Savannah lean more toward the liberal side than you'd find in much of the south. The white Savannah establishment (natives / politicos / business leaders) are almost exclusively Catholic or Espicopalian or (more recently) Anglican. And of course, there's a black church on every corner.

There are some large Southern Baptist congregations in the surrounding suburbs (Richmold Hill, Ricon and Statesboro FBC are all quite large FYI) but you'll be hard pressed to find similar in the city proper of Savannah, or really Chatham County. There's no shortage of non-denominational churches from small to large, and several are quite diverse and contempory. Just explore around.

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-26-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,286,501 times
See... www.savannahoffthebeatenpath.com/Churches/religion.htm
Thankfully News is right Savannah is fairly progressive and so are some of the churches here.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 AM

Thank Newsboy! On our next "recon trip" to Savannah (we come down about once a quarter) we'll be heading to the smaller East Campus for sure. We were heavily involved in our last church (husband was on staff) and were pleased with the services we attended at the SCC main campus compared with our experiences - both as contributors to the service and attenders.

I'm hoping to also hear negative experiences to help balance things so we can then see for ourselves as we continue our visits with open eyes - if that makes sense. I've read some things in reviews that are concerning but of course one takes online reviews with a grain of salt.

SavannahLife - I did see that site as well, thank you!

No church will ever be perfect of course but we're hoping to eventually find a church home that doesn't raise what are for us, red flags.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,286,501 times
Never been to SCC but from what I heard it was rather political and convservative..is it not so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area