Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 PM

450 posts, read 465,316 times

Advertisements

There are several lodges and Shriner groups in Savannah, including Solomons Lodge #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,995,875 times
[quote=CampingMom;44971723]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I feel cheated and betrayed[/QUOTE

Wow, stalk people's posts much? Geesh. We'd be foolish to focus for ONE area only in terms of finding jobs. I have to have options. Why in the world would I throw everything into it for one place and take a job that is just that. I want to be happy for the next 15 years I work. Can you tell me 100% Savannah is absolutely the best place on the planet to get a job? That if I move there without a job, I could start work the next day? No, no one can.
LOL ... sweetie I don't care if you move to Savannah or not. Seriously? As much as you've been on this forum, you obviously haven't picked up on the cynical humor of most of the regulars here I suppose.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:36 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,732,666 times
[quote=Newsboy;44980556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post

LOL ... sweetie I don't care if you move to Savannah or not. Seriously? As much as you've been on this forum, you obviously haven't picked up on the cynical humor of most of the regulars here I suppose.

You talk about lists??? Why, she didn't even put me at the top of the list of "Cynical Humor Of the Regulars"!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
You talk about lists??? Why, she didn't even put me at the top of the list of "Cynical Humor Of the Regulars"!
Yep, Pink, you're the one who should REALLY feel cheated and betrayed!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,651,637 times
Quote:
Yep, Pink, you're the one who should REALLY feel cheated and betrayed!
I guess because it's stressing me. I have never moved away from home in my 50 years. I am SO sorry and humbled that I missed the wit.

We are really leaning toward here. FL while nice like my late Father used to say was a undertaker's Gold mine. I much prefer the GA/SC areas. At least I know what critters are there and no sink holes to swallow me up while sleeping!

I head down there tomorrow from the Hudson Valley to drop off the youngest to college. Soccer season will be here soon enough.

Please give me tons of pointers-I love this area. And we've been vacationing for almost 18 years in Myrtle. But this place took my heart as I love the buildings, the history and the area which I've already visited.

Trying very hard to figure out a new niche in life. It's hard for the first time at 50 to say goodbye to everything you've ever known. It's the first time in our lives we've not had to take care of a elderly parent or child. Please forgive me for not knowing all I should, I am a beginner at finding a forever home.

And I do thank you all for all the advice and help.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM

[quote=Newsboy;44980556]
Quote:

So sorry. I am having a rough time with all this. I never wanted to leave here, but it's time and I am just scared at going out of my comfort zone. 50 years in one place is a lot. I wish I'd had the chance before to spread my wings. But my later Father had a stroke when I was 19 and Family came first as a only child. Please forgive me.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
There are several lodges and Shriner groups in Savannah, including Solomons Lodge #1.
Thank you, I may contact them this weekend while I am there for the Hubby. Do they also have the Eastern Star there?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I guess because it's stressing me. I have never moved away from home in my 50 years. I am SO sorry and humbled that I missed the wit.

We are really leaning toward here. FL while nice like my late Father used to say was a undertaker's Gold mine. I much prefer the GA/SC areas. At least I know what critters are there and no sink holes to swallow me up while sleeping!

I head down there tomorrow from the Hudson Valley to drop off the youngest to college. Soccer season will be here soon enough.

Please give me tons of pointers-I love this area. And we've been vacationing for almost 18 years in Myrtle. But this place took my heart as I love the buildings, the history and the area which I've already visited.

Trying very hard to figure out a new niche in life. It's hard for the first time at 50 to say goodbye to everything you've ever known. It's the first time in our lives we've not had to take care of a elderly parent or child. Please forgive me for not knowing all I should, I am a beginner at finding a forever home.

And I do thank you all for all the advice and help.
First day of schools in Savannah-Chatham County is tomorrow, and because this is the first year that the school district has not out-sourced the bus system -- THAT is the big news story. All the TV stations are doing stories about it, including one that focused on the dispatch center and another on technology (all the buses are outfitted with GPS computers that constantly track location, traffic conditions, speed, gas consumption etc). Another station at 6 pm tonight went on a trial run ride with one of the bus drivers so he could show them all the hazards they encounter daily. Quite interesting.

Of course, I thought of you. If I can find links I will share.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
First day of schools in Savannah-Chatham County is tomorrow, and because this is the first year that the school district has not out-sourced the bus system -- THAT is the big news story. All the TV stations are doing stories about it, including one that focused on the dispatch center and another on technology (all the buses are outfitted with GPS computers that constantly track location, traffic conditions, speed, gas consumption etc). Another station at 6 pm tonight went on a trial run ride with one of the bus drivers so he could show them all the hazards they encounter daily. Quite interesting.

Of course, I thought of you. If I can find links I will share.
Saw buses running now that I am here. Talked to quite a few people regarding the Chatham district. They told me to run. I maybe looking into Effingham County Schools. I can always work my way up from driver into the office. And I talked to two different tour companies today that run the buses and both were very interested in me because of my background. So very positive on those ends for job hunting for me. I can definitely get work here in both schools or the hospitality/tour bus end. Huge bonuses there.

I look tomorrow at 5 different homes. One that's REALLY caught my eye is further out in Springfield. Very much like the area we both grew up in. Now to see if that's an area to consider-Guyton/Rincon are two others. That being said, some of the locals I talked with told me to really also consider to going over into SC too-the tax benefits they said. So I'll be going through there this weekend on the way back north to check out areas there too.

I do really love all of what is offered here. I think the area in a whole is a good fit. Now other questions about how is health care around the area? We aren't getting younger you know. I've heard about expansions on that side too. if worse comes to worse, hubby worked for a durable medical goods company for four years and was certified in liquid oxygen and transfill stations. Something to keep open minds about in terms of jobs for him

That's it, the weather is very nice by the way. It had been raining for DAYS up our way and in inches before we left.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM

***Update***

I went to see 5 houses this weekend. Liked three out of the 5. Two were in the Coffee Bluff/Rose Dhu area. One over by Lake Meyer and one in Springfield. The later is way further out than I'd like, but they don't build homes like what I saw any more as the house was built in 1900 and completely restored.

It's official. We are going to move to the Savannah area. I have three job prospects and that's good news. One supervisor told me to see them as soon as we are settled.

So the push is on to get out of the Hudson Valley before we see snow. The Kaitydids started here about 4 1/2 weeks ago, that means 10 weeks til the first frost. That's early and doesn't bode well for the winter here.

Savannah here we come! Thanks for all your help. Now to get information on insurance, car registrations/titles, who supplies the electric and how much that is per kilowatt/natural gas pricing. And anything else I know I am going to not think of since it's been over 25 years since our last move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area