Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 17,932 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there who has lived in Pooler and Alpharetta, Roswell or suwanee? We are trying to scout out some areas for retirement and wonder what the differences are between the Savannah burbs and the Atlanta burbs. I would like your opinion as to the pros and cons of both regions. We would like to live in a safe area with sidewalks close to shops and restaurants. Thank you in advance for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
We are retired and live in Pooler. There is not a lot of walkability here, and no real central downtown. It is a nice safe community with excellent services, but you need to drive to shopping and restaurants.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Thank you for your input

Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM

450 posts, read 462,439 times
It will really depend on what you are looking for. Atlanta is a large modern city with a huge metro area with over 5 million people. Alpharetta specifically is is a nice city with some larger companies and around 65,000 people. Pooler is much smaller around 25,000 and is just starting to see a lot of business growth. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. Pooler is close to the N/S I95 and E/W I16. It is close to the coast and Savannah which sees 14+ million visitors annually and Charlston is about 100 miles N for a change of pac. Alot of golf in the region. No major sports teams if that is an interest. Alpharetta has access to Most major sports teams and is closer to the "mountains". Pooler and the Savannah area are a slower pace and more affordable than Alpharetta. I personally love the Pooler area versus the Atlanta area. Both will be a good choice but you will need to decide what you are looking for in retirement.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
The weather / climates in Savannah and Atlanta (north Georgia) are completely different. Do you want to live on the SE coast where it's hot and humid much of the year, with relatively mild winters, or in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (north Atlanta suburbs) where there are 4 distinct seasons and freezing temps / occasional snow is the norm in winter?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Being a retiree myself, my choice would be Savannah. I think as you get older, your world gets smaller. Sure Atlanta is a large and vibrant city with a plethora of amenities, but after 60, how many of them do you really take advantage of? I joked with a friend of mine that my Comfort Zone has shrunk to a 2 mile radius. If there are two or three good restaurants and a Publix within it, I'm good. A place like Wilmington Island (suburban Savannah, Newsboy's 'hood) would be perfect for me.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I agree with Lovindecatur. There is something to do every weekend here in Savannah, but after awhile just knowing you COULD do it is enough.
I could not stand the idea of Atlanta traffic. Savannahians complain about traffic, but it is only mildly frustrating in comparison.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
If you are going to retire down here and buy a house, look at Hilton Head/Beaufort before Pooler. The reason I saw this is all related to taxes the drive into Savannah is either the same is or slightly longer. There are also downtown areas which are much more walkable. Pooler is a driving subdivision only.

South Carolina and GA income taxes are the same.
Sales Tax 1% lower in S.C.
Auto Registration Fee is 7% of sales price in Ga.
Property Taxes are about 1/2 of what they are in GA. due to the really good homestead exemption tax in S.C.

One other option would be to look in St. Augustine FL. Has everything you are looking for with lower taxes overall.

Atlanta is a completely different area 3 and a half hours from here and the climate is completely different and it's a huge city.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:24 PM

53 posts, read 48,380 times
Speciaty healthcare options in Pooler/Savannah area are very limited for some things, if that's an issue for you. My wife needs to see a neurologist but there's only one large practice in the area and they're booked solid.

Forget walking anywhere in Pooler, unless maybe it's to the neighborhood pool (if you have one). You'll often find yourself taking the interstate to get from one part of Pooler to the other, just to save a minute or two.

To put it another way, my wife says "why would you ever move to Pooler?" We're trying to leave there and go somewhere near a larger city.

If you want somewhere with some walkability (or at least alternatives to cars) you might look at Peachtree City. Golf carts and bicycles are legitimate means of transportation for many daily activities, and you can safey walk to things depending on where specifically you live. I grew up there but can't really speak too much to what it's like now; we visit family but don't stick around much.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Thank you all so much. I'm so grateful for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area