Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times

Advertisements

So I'm researching places to retire. I'm thinking of jumping ship on the workplace in 2 years and a researching some areas that are on my "wish" list.

1) Has to be near a beach
2) warm in the winter. Now that doesn't mean 70 degrees from Jan-April and I fully expect a few snowy days but want to leave behind the brutal North east winters.
3) would like it to be accessible to a city. I enjoy eating out, museums and diversity.
4) since I'll be retired, traffic is not a huge turn off. hopefully time is some thing I'll have a lot of. the same goes for school systems. no school age kids

what are some pros and cons. feel free to throw in any thing else I should be considering that I may not have mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
How near the beach? Walking distance, or a short drive? Assuming you have the budget to buy on Tybee, for me, being able to walk on the beach every morning would not be enough to compensate for the sense of being trapped that I would feel, because of there only being one road on and off. I also would not like the crowds of strangers parking anywhere they feel like, and always being in my way.

Your needs might be met better by Wilmington, or Whitemarsh areas. Very close to Tybee, but not right smack in the touristy area. There are plenty of homes on the water, but not a sandy beach.

Savannah is a fun, lively place to be. Great restaurants and always something going on. I've seen snow once, but one year, it got down to 17 degrees. The thing is, it was probably 60 the week after.

Check out Beaufort, SC and Hilton Head also. Not as much culture as Savannah, but still close enough to come to Savannah often.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM

89 posts, read 86,446 times
Tybee isn't in our budget but even if it was we are planning to move no more than a 30 minute drive away. We spent 5 days on Tybee last November and it was a lot of fun but by the time we left, the novelty had worn off. We love Tybee but living there just isn't for us.

Lots of places within short distances from the Historic District as well as Tybee - two places we plan to enjoy often.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,141,494 times
If we're talking beach accessibility, affordability is the Elephant In The Room. How much are you willing to spend for island living?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
...."near beach". Define "near" to help us out

Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
...."near beach". Define "near" to help us out
thanks guys. sorry for the lack of information.

Near beach is within 40 min drive. my budget for housing is 500K-600K without a mortgage. If it's anything like the shore up north I recognize that close beach living is out of my budget. lol around here that's million dollar range.
don't really want a huge house.
I am investigating Savannah but like other transplants the crime rate is daunting.

any other areas you suggest would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,141,494 times
You might also consider St. Simons Island, about 1.25 hours south of Savannah. You're no more than a few minutes from the beach anywhere on the island, and while it's a community of about 14,000 it has an impressive array of restaurants and other amenities. Plenty of retired folks there, too.

St. Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

Here's a link to Zillow showing options there in your price range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...48_rect/10_zm/

Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
thanks guys. sorry for the lack of information.

Near beach is within 40 min drive. my budget for housing is 500K-600K without a mortgage. If it's anything like the shore up north I recognize that close beach living is out of my budget. lol around here that's million dollar range.
don't really want a huge house.
I am investigating Savannah but like other transplants the crime rate is daunting.

any other areas you suggest would be greatly appreciated

Your're going to be safer the closer you are to the water. Know why? It has been my observation that young punks, on drugs, with shag pants around their hips instead of their waist, can't swim. They stay away from beaches and slink down in cars with their hats on backwards and operate in the dark. Swim? Nope, no time for swimming. They afraid of sharks.

Find a nice home with-in blocks of a beach!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM

370 posts, read 326,220 times
Hilton Head, aka, the Yankee quarantine zone, might be more appropriate for OP.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,537,442 times
I've lived in Charleston SC and visited Wilmington NC often. There are island communities around both cities that you can live in pretty much in your price range. In NC you can range all the way up the coast, on the mainland side anyway, and find nice affordable homes. Search on a real estate website for your ideal. C-D supports realtor.com, I prefer the Z site. see what suits you. You could range up to Washington ,NC or even Newport News, VA
Here's a sample near Morehead City, NC
104 Coral Bay Ct,
Atlantic Beach, NC 28512
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area