Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM

33 posts, read 138,172 times

Advertisements

Savannah is a great place to live. I should know, because I've lived there twice (once right out of college, and again 10 years later). I never had any problems whatsoever with crime, etc., but I had enough sense to avoid the 'bad' areas (anywhere near Martin Luther King Dr, or some areas in historic district after dark).

Savannah has lots of nice shopping, some beautiful scenery, plenty of historic sites, and a so-so beach (Tybee Island). It is many cities in one, and it has something many modern cities do not: character. It was the first the capital of Georgia, and visiting the historic district is much like stepping back into time. Savannah is much more than River Street (although you should definitely visit it).

The most dangerous thing I saw was tourists gawking at the sights on the "circles" in the historic district as they drove, and nearly running down pedestrians. I lived on the "southside" and in Thunderbolt (15 mins to beach or downtown), and liked both areas. In general the Southside or the islands have less violent crime than downtown or the east side, but property crime can happen anywhere (I never had a problem). Just use common sense, such as locking your vehicle and keeping valuables out of sight. Don't tempt the teenage punks!

Anyways, don't be afraid to give Savannah a shot. Most of the people are friendly, yet mind their own business. Don't go to places at night you don't know well without a companion. You will find that 90% of Savannah is pretty safe, once you get to know her.

The one caveat... probably the public shool system. It has a bad reputation (some of it deserved), so do your homework or consider private schools if your budget allows. Also remember that Savannah is home to a military base (and another one not far away) and a few colleges, so residents come and go. There are not as many "tech" jobs as Atlanta, but pay for professionals is okay. There are always retail jobs available if you just need something temporary.

Would I live in Savannah again? YES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM

737 posts, read 2,464,672 times
Default @ Thunderbolt_Guy

@ Thunderbolt_Guy...

You said it all.
And quicker then I would have.
Common sense, plain and simple.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
As my friend Mick usta say...
You can't always get what you want...
But you get what you need.
Just Plain Al,

I think I know your friend Mick. Me and Mick go way back. But you left out an important piece of what he says. The part about trying. Its an important thing... the trying part. Mick told me it was meant to motivate even after failure. OK, not really, but thats what I got out of it!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 AM

737 posts, read 2,464,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Just Plain Al,

I think I know your friend Mick. Me and Mick go way back. But you left out an important piece of what he says. The part about trying. Its an important thing... the trying part. Mick told me it was meant to motivate even after failure. OK, not really, but thats what I got out of it!
Haven't seen Mick since the early 70s.
Back up in N.Y.C.
So I guess I can't really call him a friend anymore. More like former friend.
But the trying part was the most important thing I got from it too.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
Question Moving from Duluth (the Minnesota one)

I received a job offer in Savannah. The family is uprooting, rebooting and going to give the Southern lifestyle a try. I hope it was the right decision. It will either be the best or worst decision we've ever made. We will miss life on Lake Superior (very beautiful), but after living our entire adult lives up here, we are truly sick of the bitter cold. Average annual temp < 40 degrees, > 180 days a year of temps dipping below freezing...gardening is futile...you get the picture. At least if your car breaks down in Savannah you won't literally die. I'm assuming no one down there plugs their car in at night eh?

My first question: If we absolutley HAD to send our kids to a public middle school (at least for awhile due to financial considerations) what would be recommended? I have it narrowed down (based on my research) to Coastal Middle School and Richmond Hill. Any insights, suggestions?

Uffda...too much to do....

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,228,198 times
You won't get into the Richmond Hill schools unless you live in that area. You could have a good drive to your job depending on where it was.

Coastal Middle School serves the Islands area. And again, you should plan on living in that school area. The Busing areas change from year to year and they might be at Coastal one year and somewhere on the west side, the next.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM

726 posts, read 3,609,471 times
I spent January '76 in Duluth

Oglethorpe, DeRenne, and Mercer have a countywide open enrollment
Oglethorpe Charter is my first choice
Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools
Then DeRenne Honors
DeRenne Middle School, Savannah, GA (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/Middle+Schools/Derenne+Middle+School/ - broken link)
Mercer Renzulli Schoolwide Enrichment Academy
Mercer Middle School - Homepage
Mercer Middle School - The Renzulli Model

In 2010 there will be a new middle school in Godley Station

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+(Magnet)/secondary.htm - broken link)
Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+(Magnet)/secondary2.htm - broken link)

Savannah Arts academy is the best College Prep High School in SE Georgia
Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

then there is Georgia Virtual Academy K-8
http://www.k12.com/gva/

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Betcha Eh View Post
I received a job offer in Savannah. The family is uprooting, rebooting and going to give the Southern lifestyle a try. I hope it was the right decision. It will either be the best or worst decision we've ever made. We will miss life on Lake Superior (very beautiful), but after living our entire adult lives up here, we are truly sick of the bitter cold. Average annual temp < 40 degrees, > 180 days a year of temps dipping below freezing...gardening is futile...you get the picture. At least if your car breaks down in Savannah you won't literally die. I'm assuming no one down there plugs their car in at night eh?

My first question: If we absolutley HAD to send our kids to a public middle school (at least for awhile due to financial considerations) what would be recommended? I have it narrowed down (based on my research) to Coastal Middle School and Richmond Hill. Any insights, suggestions?

Uffda...too much to do....

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 02-03-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
Default Any recent trends...good, bad, ugly, otherwise?

Thanks Bgnzsvnh.

You picked a great month to be in Duluth, MN....January.

Tired of life below zero....

This January has been one for the record books...as far as being below average temps. We were treated to a high of 17 one day last week... I wore a sweatshirt outside...feeling warm! Crazy!

Fortunatley, I'll be living in an apt. down there while the kids finish school in MN. I'll have plenty of opportunity to scout things out, talk to the locals, recon neighborhoods, sit on some bar stools, etc. before we purchase a home (unless we rent for awhile until things truly "bottom out."

I am sure it will be a fantastic time to buy!

How is Savannah fairing in the Great Downturn relative to other areas?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM

726 posts, read 3,609,471 times
Savannah fairing well in the Great Downturn, smaller houses are being built and sold, larger houses may need to be converted into duplexes as Lenin did after their Revolution!

Tonight we may hit the upper teens here in West Chatham:
Tonight: Clear, with a low around 17. Calm wind.
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 58. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph.
Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 29. Calm wind.
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph.
Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 39. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 71.
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 41.
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 32.2°N and Longitude 81.22°W (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=CHS&llon=-81.504583&rlon=-80.967083&tlat=32.337917&blat=31.800417&smap=1&mp= 1&map.x=142&map.y=57 - broken link)

Here is a list of Private schools in the area:
http://www.seda.org/files/uploads/ED...%20Schools.pdf

Savannah Christian Prep and Savannah Country Day School

Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM

28 posts, read 82,913 times
The place to look in Savannah is 4-5 blocks South of Forsyth park and around the southern end of Forsyth Park. This is where the middle class can afford to buy and live in a very nice neighborhood. I really like Park, Duffy, Henry, and Anderson Street. If you are worried about crime, try to stay within 3-4 blocks from Bull Street and it tends to be better on the East side than West, but if you stay within these blocks you will be very happy living in Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area