Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:20 PM

11,415 posts, read 24,524,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
I am concerned about getting a job. I know the job market is not strong to begin with, but I have a masters degree and figured since I have savings, I can afford to accept a lower paying job than other cities would offer, but I DO need a job.
I feel better reading this than I did before about your prospects. Good jobs are hard to find these days. The fact that you're taking a deep breath and looking at what you will be faced with sounds like the way to approach this situation.

Many of us are faced with potential layoffs in otherwise stable professions. You'll have to study the job market carefully and try to get something lined up before you move.

Maybe start another thread about employment here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,228,198 times
You really need to rent a year before you decide where and what to buy. The different areas in Savannah appeal to different types of people. One well kept secret of the very best place to live is where I live. And I'm not telling!!!! On second thought, a family member has one for sale here, but it's a little over your upper price range.....and worth it! Waterfront, access to a good dock, plenty of land, trees etc.

Today's paper had an article featuring the complaints about property taxes. While the prices on homes have dropped a good bit, the tax assessments are based on what the property was selling in 2007. Hopefully, there will be a correction. Some of the valuations are just ridiculous. Especially those in those "desirable" areas.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,133 times
Gamecock,
My husband and I are also looking at Savannah to move. We are visiting in July as well. It will be about 2 years before we move though because my husband has to finish graduate school. I hope the economy will turn around a little before then.

We also love the old houses in town but are worried about the schools. We have an autistic son that will be 14 when we move. I have looked into private schools but they are very expensive. We may have to look outside Savannah for better schools. I have read that Richmond Hill and South Effingham have good schools. It's hard to know where we will fit best. We plan on renting for a while before we buy to hash it all out.

Anyone have any advice about schools?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM

My feeling about the schools in your case is that you would be better to have him in one of the Chatham-Savannah schools. It has many different Special Education programs available for children with different handicaps. I really don't know if the Richmond Hill or South Effingham schools would have as much. I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone can give you more exact information.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 49,080 times
Gamecock.....
you could offer a lower amount because the house HAS been on the market for awhile. I saw that months ago and it's still listed. I too am thinking about moving there and buying property but of course much lower in budget than that price. I am unsure about the crime and stuff and whether or not I would be able to find stable renters or roommates but still I can't get it out of my mind despite the fear of moving to a crime ridden area. sigh...why does it have to be that way?

anywho....find out about lowering the listing price because it's been on th emarket for so long. they may be willing to negotiate as well as desperate to sell it. ??

good luck!
the house is gorgioso!@

Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM

182 posts, read 712,520 times
I am still holding out and hoping to get into a dream home in Savannah. My fiance and I talk in circles about where we would like to live, Savannah being the only city we agree on. It has everything we both like. Last weeks disapointment has soured me on house hunting a bit, but once my enthusiasm returns, so will my optimism.
I am now looking in the next price bracket above my budget. I am just not quite resigned to a condo yet. Nor am I resigned to living in a high crime area. I will find a happy harmony at some point. My fiance and I are planning to make another trip in September. He has a hard time believing me - he needs to see it for himself. Maybe we will luck out. Maybe I will take a self defense class and feel ok ~ :P
Damania~ are you referring to that huge, georgeous victorian on Barnard I was talking about a few months back? That house went under contract, I dont know what the final agreed price purchased for. It's still listed for sale, but I know its under contract because the realtor who sold it has an ongoing blog about it.
I am just trying to find the middle class in Downtown Savannah. Either they live in the burbs? or in the condos? Or in Ardsley park? Ahhh...I'll figure it out. Now I'm intrigued...Savannah has me mystified right now, and I like the challenge of figuring this city out.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Don't concentrate too much on Ardsley Park. There are parts of it that have a few problems.

There are many areas in Savannah that are worthwhile if you don't find what you want in the Historic District. There's Mayfair, Magnolia Park, Kensington Park, Isle of Hope, The Landings (a bit pricey) Talahi Island, Dutch Island, Wyley Island, and a zillion more. Don't overlook Wilmington or Whitemarsh Islands. Look at the newer subdivisions with the Old Savannah Look. All of these are where the middle class live.

When you get here, just drive around. A good place to start is Abercorn Street. Drive all the way out until you get to I-95. Do the same thing with Bull Street (it becomes White Bluff Road) Crosswise on Derenne, Eisenhower and Montgomery Cross Road. You may like the Windsor Forrest or Halcyon Buff areas.

What I am saying is the are a multitude of great places to live once you give up on living in the Historic District. The Baldwin Park area may be one that interests you. It's being rebuilt. A lot of young professional couples have moved in there too.

I wish that I were able to meet everyone that wants to move to Savannah and just drive them around. I think that most of them would be very suprised at what's available.

Don't worry about getting lost while you drive around. Just head north. Sooner or later, you will hear a splash and you'll be in the Savannah River.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

182 posts, read 712,520 times
Lol...ok, I look forward to my next house hunting trip. For now I am focusing on helping my down payment grow by managing my money and increasing my no spend days so that Savannah will be in my near future sooner.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM

11,415 posts, read 24,524,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
I am just trying to find the middle class in Downtown Savannah. Either they live in the burbs? or in the condos? Or in Ardsley park? Ahhh...I'll figure it out.
Virtually no one wants to live in the downtown condos. That's why there are so many available. Developers divided up every house or building they could get their hands on, turned them into condos, priced them for maximum profit, and most are sitting empty. No, the middle class rarely lives in downtown condos.

The middle class can barely afford the nicer places in Ardsley, though I have friends who live there. They are on the upper end of middle class, I suppose. Or maybe living in $500,000+ homes is what you consider middle class? If financed and including tax & insurance, that would require approx. $60,000/yr. just to keep a roof over your head. Triple or quadruple that to estimate the income needed to warrant such an expensive home and you'd have to earn $180,000 - $240,000/yr. A healthy two income couple could cover it, but I'm not sure that's exactly middle class.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,628,907 times
The houses in Ardsley are charming, but the ones we looked at had a lot of age to them. People are still in the 2004 flip mentality where you buy a house spend $20k in paint and landscaping, put a new roof on, hardwood floors, and resell it for a $100k. The ones we looked at the plumping was original, the rooms are closed in and not very open, and the bedrooms are small. The rehabbing which had been done was not done by professionals a lot of times, but by mom and pops you can tell the difference. Kitchens which should have been gutted have had a coat of paint slapped on the cabinets and new granite countertops. Which makes the home nicer but not a 100k nicer. Also the lots are very small. The community is charming and is very close to everything which is the bonus. After seeing this my wife decided to just build again and get what we wanted in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area