Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM

182 posts, read 711,582 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think the realtor was trying to steer me toward the condos downtown. I threw out Ardsley Park without knowing anything about it because I have heard nice things about it. I'm not even sure where it is or what it really looks like.
I live in the 'burbs now, and its def something I want to get out of. So the realtor talked about condos and Ellie, your description is exactly what I was thinking. An entire house sits for sale, but each floor is divided into a condo and asking for 200k...for 900 sq ft! I just cant do it. Knowing that I am only a few yrs out of outgrowing it.
I will find a happy harmony. I refuse to get priced out of this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Just another note about Ardsley Park. Parts of it are for small, and poorly kept houses. Other parts of it are big mansion types with a few inbetweens. The area is poorly defined and tends in places to blend in to Parkside and other areas. The problem with it and similarly located places, is that the northern edge is a good target for hoodlum types for residental breakins.

I think that my favorite place, if I didn't live where I do, would be the Majestic Oak community on Laroche Ave. Beautiful and unusual. Very convienent location.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
The mansions in Ardsley are over 500k and the poorly kept homes people want 300k and up for them due to their location.

We have the same type of neighborhood here in Cincinnati called Hyde Park, the difference is the shopping and nightlife located within Hyde Park. Also the crime is a lot lower there as well. An interstate, and a park border it helping this out. The homes run from around 300k to over a million there as well. Gamecock43 if you came to Cincinnati I could get you in a Victorian for under 200k in an up and coming neighborhood here or if you felt brave in a mansion for around 300k, but you would be dealing with some rift raft in the old jewish quarter. We are talking 5,000 square feet and up.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
We have the same type of neighborhood here in Cincinnati called Hyde Park, the difference is the shopping and nightlife located within Hyde Park. Also the crime is a lot lower there as well. An interstate, and a park border it helping this out. The homes run from around 300k to over a million there as well. Gamecock43 if you came to Cincinnati I could get you in a Victorian for under 200k in an up and coming neighborhood here or if you felt brave in a mansion for around 300k, but you would be dealing with some rift raft in the old jewish quarter. We are talking 5,000 square feet and up.
Yes, but isn't it freezing a** cold in Cincinnati? People are obviously paying for something or they'd all be moving up there in droves.

You've obviously not heard about the bumper sticker yet.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM

awww...thanks for looking out Bellhead! I am absolutely against snow. Grew up in MA and cold weather just makes my life worth unliving.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
It snowed in Savannah around Christmas in 1989. We are still talking about it. LOL

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM

miracles like that- I dont mind. LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,831 times
[quote=gamecock43;3941185]awww...you guys are too nice!
I will look at the site, I might end up spending all day on the site!
And thanks Ellie for looking at the house. The high wire fence doesnt scare me to much if the house is sitting empty and filled with construction materials, but that gives me a clue to be more aware than ever to check out the neighborhood closely. I want to be sure I can go to New England for the holidays and feel secure knowing my house is ok!
What you said about the city just experiencing a price correction makes sense to me. In FL we have been in a price correction for just over a year now, with about 50% of the houses that were put on the market in the beginning of the housing fall now in forclosure. Realtors are using the 'forclosure' status as an incentive to buy and post a 'forclosure' sign right on top of the for sale sign.
So I have been surrounded by a failing market and assumed the rest of the country in general has been the same way. But FL was hit the hardest with the market boom, and would be the first to fall, and fall the hardest. I need to be patient. But I am still all set up to look when I come to Savannah in July, so I will look and get educated.
And I'm lucky to be in shopping in a price range that is my 'forever home' rather than 'starter home', but I guess a starter home would have taught me alot for this process.
I really appreciate you guys going out of your way like that, and I value your opinion being a local and having a first hand perspective.[/QUOTE

older houses are great until you get inside..I love to see them in magazines but everytime I go into one I get turned off by: smell of mustiness and or mold...the disgusting basements, existence of any asbestos..heat, linoleum, roof...lead paint, wallpaper(and what's underneath!!)and the thought of how many termite treatments it's had with some pretty nasty chemicals...if you have any tips I'd love to hear them...new construction is so generic and boring ..and who wants to live in a cookie cutter subdivision? been there done that as they say..lol

Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM

older houses are great until you get inside..I love to see them in magazines but everytime I go into one I get turned off by: smell of mustiness and or mold...the disgusting basements, existence of any asbestos..heat, linoleum, roof...lead paint, wallpaper(and what's underneath!!)and the thought of how many termite treatments it's had with some pretty nasty chemicals...if you have any tips I'd love to hear them...new construction is so generic and boring ..and who wants to live in a cookie cutter subdivision? been there done that as they say..lol

Alot of people have said that to me, but I just dont feel that way.Older houses are a piece of history and make you feel a part of something bigger than yourself. You are sharing in the dreams of the past. You are able to take something old and recycle it so it works in todays society and has life again. And the small sacrifices you must make like lack of closets or tiny bathrooms are just reminders of how people used to live, and how spoiled I am today.

I read your other post about buying new construction reproductions 12buttons and that is a good idea for many. It certaintly adds to the charm of the city and there are a few that you cant even tell the difference (in RE ads), but for me personally, it's like a knock off purse. It looks the same, but theres some tell-tale sign that it's fake and then you just are reminded everyday that you didnt get the real thing.

I dont buy knockoff purses, but I have never dropped $500 on an authentic purse either, I tend to by hybrids of lower cost real purses by buying Guess? or Bebe brand- and thats what I will do with a house for me. I will sacrifice in some areas to get the real thing, but it wont be quite as cool and impressive as the more expensive, grander homes.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 PM

37 posts, read 134,257 times
gamecock43 I feel the same way. I love older houses I find myself saying, "Oh sure I can repair that wall that is falling down and you know I really only wanted one bathroom in a 3500 sq foot house!!!" And then realizing that I probably should want a few modern aminities!! LOL
But the old houses just call my name, and my husband is just as bad!

What about 1004 Park??? Who needs intact walls????????

Alice in Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area