Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 AM

165 posts, read 507,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
"We just got a puppy to join us in our new adventure and are wondering if there are any beaches nearby to take her to run. We will keep her on a leash but love to be by the water."

In a word...
Nope!
Savannah is not really "pet friendly".
A dog park on Tybee...
And a drive to Hilton Head will give you some space.
But other then that, you are pretty much confined to your yard.
Or a few walks around town.
On a lead.
If they are willing to keep the puppy on a leash and clean up after it (both of which are reasonable requests for a city, I think), Savannah is pretty pet-friendly. I see people all over downtown with their dogs...on River Street, in the squares. There's even one square with a pet fountain in it. I can't speak for the islands, as I'm rarely there and never there with a dog, but downtown is one of the more pet-welcoming cities I've seen personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
As a former and part-time dog owner, I have no problem with dog rules like that. Even the no-dogs-at-at-the-beach rule. Sorry. I don't like dogs on the beach - most owners wouldn't know responsible if it bit them on the a**.

And yes, virtually every outdoor cafe downtown usually has a few patrons who bring their pets. I'm fine with that, in general. Downtown is very pet friendly.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I would say it's very pet friendly. You would only have to remember what Savannah was like before they enacted the leash laws. There stray,hungry dogs everywhere and doogie doo all over.

I think that a city that cares that it's pets are taken care of is more pet friendly than one that doesn't seem to give a hoot.

Our beach is used just about all year around. If everyone picked up after little Fido, I'm sure they would be welcome to run on the sand. However, not all owners do this and it's not fun to step in or clean off the Kiddies. If it's above the high tide level, it will stay there a good while, hiding in the sand, just waiting!!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
That's pretty much what I said.
It sounded like this person was thinking about a romp on the beach, or in the park.
I applaud leash laws.
I'm Voice for Pets, remember?

I know that Savannah is pet frinedly.
I know that pets are allowed just about anywhere in the city.
I just meant having a romp with your pet, is all.
Off lead.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM

10 posts, read 28,585 times
Ellie,

We are looking at leaving Santa Rosa, Ca and relocating to Georgia. We are a lesbian couple with three children. I really am glad to have seen this post. If you can contact me I would love to talk to you. I also am looking at going back to school and getting a PhD and it was the cost of living that made me took into Savannah. My email is the same as my post name at yahoo. Thanks, because my children are 5, 11, and 12 I fear I must take these post seriously and nothing is worse for a child than being rejected based on something they have no control over. Thanks and thank to all of you on this forum who tell it like it is. It has helped me so much.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorrae9 View Post
Ellie,

We are looking at leaving Santa Rosa, Ca and relocating to Georgia. We are a lesbian couple with three children. I really am glad to have seen this post. If you can contact me I would love to talk to you. I also am looking at going back to school and getting a PhD and it was the cost of living that made me took into Savannah. My email is the same as my post name at yahoo. Thanks, because my children are 5, 11, and 12 I fear I must take these post seriously and nothing is worse for a child than being rejected based on something they have no control over. Thanks and thank to all of you on this forum who tell it like it is. It has helped me so much.
Thanks Taylorrae. I've contacted you as requested. Please keep checking in as I imagine other people may reply to your questions.

I'm not sure what it's like to be a parent and don't have much experience with the reactions of kids about non-traditional families. Georgia, for the most part, is quite socially conservative, though there are a few cities, like Savannah, that are less so.

I recommend looking at Athens, Atlanta, or even Gainesville and Tallahassee, FL as better places to earn your PhD. Our colleges only offer a few degree programs at that level, though I imagine you've already looked into that. The cost of living in all of those cities, except for Atlanta, is more in line with Savannah, too.

Large college towns tend to have more liberal populations than other cities and probably more accepting peer groups for your kids.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,592 times
Default Did you do it?

So how is it going? Didi you make the big jump?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM

47 posts, read 145,913 times
I absolutely love Savannah. I don't live there but I am trying. The deal is that I want to live in the historic district because I like to walk and not drive everywhere. The problem is jobs. The amount that white collar jobs pay versus the cost of prime housing does not match. I believe you have to come from money to be able to live in that area, if I can find a job there that pays what I need, I am there.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

27 posts, read 69,882 times
...The amount that white collar jobs pay versus the cost of prime housing does not match.

gdaddy - Can you elaborate please?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence1 View Post
...The amount that white collar jobs pay versus the cost of prime housing does not match.

gdaddy - Can you elaborate please?
You gots to have money to live here?
Depends what you want v what you need.
I know plenty of people that work "everyday jobs" and still are able to enjoy all that Savannah has to offer.
As my friend Mick usta say...
You can't always get what you want...
But you get what you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area