Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,207,283 times

Advertisements

I think a lot depends on how long it's steeped too. It's easy to leave the bags in too long and then there's a bitterness.

I have a SIL that uses Luzianne's. After she pours up the first steeping, she puts the bags back in the pot, adds more water and brings it to a boil. I am here to tell you that it is gawdawful!! But her family seems to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 01:28 PM

11,400 posts, read 24,489,625 times
I try not to leave my tea steeping too long. Not only does it get more bitter, but it rapidly loses caffeine. And there's nothing better than a good ice tea pick-me-up on a hot afternoon after your nap.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,987,390 times
There is a brand called Milo's which IMO is right up there under the best sweet tea category. I haven't checked in a while, but I don't think Savannah grocers sell this stuff. (If they do, it'd more than likely be at Publix and not Kroger)

Old 10-19-2008, 06:37 PM

116 posts, read 332,312 times
I've found that I can't leave the Luzianne teabags in for more than 3 minutes for the caffeinated and 5 minutes for the decaffeinated (had a preggo friend that was always wanting my sweet tea but minus the caffeine LOL), otherwise I'd get that terrible bitter flavor you're referring to.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 PM

116 posts, read 332,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I've tried a couple of organic teas. They were good, but not exactly what I have in mind for perfect ice tea.

As far as minty tea, you could use a combination of black tea and spearmint teabags and see how that works.

I've had good luck making iced green tea with a little sugar. It's really good.
I'll try that with the mint...good idea.

The green tea sounds good, too!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 AM

165 posts, read 508,177 times
I guess I'm completely in a different mindset than most people. I like Lipton. And I don't drink tea hot...ever, so that's not why I prefer Lipton. I typically boil water, then add the boiling water to sugar (3/4 - 1 cup per half gallon) and add tea bags (2 large or 8 small for a gallon) and let steep for 1/2 hour.

Maybe you would all hate my tea, but it's what I grew up on and my hubby likes it. That's what really matters, right?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM

29 posts, read 179,950 times
Lipton is my favorite. There is of couse a better way to brew it if you have the time. Anyone heard of Sun Tea? I keep a one gallon glass container in my window sill and the slow steeping makes a very tender soft tasting tea. I only drink sweet tea (no sodas, no coffee) so you can see I go through a gallon a day. I have a coffee pot at work I make tea with but preffer the Sun Brewed tea. 1 and 3/4 cup sugar per gallon and NOTHING ELSE.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM

165 posts, read 508,177 times
My mom used to make sun tea and it WAS super-delicious. What is the criteria? How much tea and how long in the sun?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,511,315 times
If you are making a gallon and in the summer why-wouldn't-you?

Use 2/3 family size tea bags and a gallon of water. I like sun tea because it is not as strong as brewed on the stove tea but find the extra tea bags help. I allow from 2-6 hours to make sun tea, depending on type of sun available.

I have a little microwave tea/coffee pot which is good for making more than one cup of herbal tea. A milder tea suits me.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:25 PM

726 posts, read 3,606,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
I haven't tried any, but I suppose organic versions of tea would offer more for the tastebuds, as organic versions of other things (i.e. fruits and veggies) are generally more tasty. It's worth a try. I've been meaning to try a minty sweet tea...maybe I'll use an organic blend and see if I like the difference.
Aunt Jessie always used fresh mint in her iced tea, can't get more Old South than that.
We keep some mint in the garden just for tea.........

America’s only tea farm. (http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/ - broken link)

For the real do-it-your-selfer (http://www.camelliaweb.org/kb_results.asp?ID=45 - broken link)
'Olde Savannah Tea' (http://www.camelliashop.com/tea_plant_p/21504.htm - broken link)

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 10-25-2008 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area