Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,988 times

Advertisements

Recently accepted a job in Savannah and know absolutely nothing about the city. I'll be working near St Joseph's hospital. I'm a 50 something single woman and although I'm concerned about safety, I would like to live in an area that has the flavor of what Savannah has to offer.
Any suggestions? I will likely be renting for awhile until I get more familiar with things-the rents do seem high during such a down economy. Are they negotiable?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM

50 posts, read 196,604 times
What part of Savannah are you thinking about when you say "Flavor of Savannah"?
If you want Historic, and walking, and the like, there is really only 1 Savannah and that is the Historic District. But if you just want to be "close" to it and work, then you can probably do well in Ardsley Park which is like Dead Center between the Hospitals (the 2 big ones) and the Historic District. Ardsley is quaint and while only a 100 years old historical, it is still quite lovely (especially south of Victory & North of Washington, but even South of Washington and North of Columbus is generally quite nice so long as you are E. of Bull and W. of Waters. The closer you are to Abercorn the better.

The big negatives of Ardsley is that it really doesn't have its own business district (though there is some stuff along Habersham South of 63rd) it is very central to the E. Side shopping district along Victory and the shops just south of DeRenne along Abercorn.

From my place in Ardsley to the Historic District is about 10-20min. depending on where exactly and time of day.

-- dave

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I second the Ardsley Park suggestion although I'm certain it doesn't take nearly 10-20 minutes of driving to get to the historic district from there... maybe if you were riding a bicycle. Its more like a 5 minute drive.
Anyway, back to the topic. As for renting, if you are concerned about safety and want to get your feet wet in Savannah, so to speak, I would suggest looking at apartments on the islands. There is a lot to choose from out there. If not, Pooler is also a good choice.
Ardsley Park would be my first choice though if you are looking to buy and be close to all of the amenities of Savannah AND be a 10 minute drive from work.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
There are a good many apartment complexs near the St Jo. hospital area. I think your best bet would be to rent in one of these until you settle in your job, then look around to find what you really like. There are all sorts of price ranges. Some have the pool/club house atmosphere, some are just a plain jane place to hang your hat and sleep.

If you will be actually working at St. Jo, and there's a chance that you might be transferred to the Candler facilities, you might find something in between the two hospitals more convenient.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I agree with Padgett2. Unless you know your way around, just rent something near work till you get a feel for the area.

And yes, glancing at some of the listings, rents seem higher than they should be. Problem is that some people paid too much for these properties and now need to cover their mortgages. You can try negotiating because I've heard there's a glut of rentals these days.

If I were working that far out on the southside, I'd be looking in some of the older existing neighborhoods off of Derenne Ave., Waters Ave, and so forth.

For the money, homes in the eastern, older section of Habersham Woods that connects to Waters, or Kensington or Bacon Park might provide you with a central location and safety. Also Edgefield, Mayfair, Fairfield, and Olinheights neighborhoods may have homes that would interest you. These aren't historic neighborhoods but they are older, well-established and centrally located. Use a local realty company that also does property management and you may be able to find a small single-family home for the cost of an apartment.

I'm going to repost Bolinha's google map to help. Google Maps

Last edited by ellie; 01-18-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I agree with Padgett2. Unless you know your way around, just rent something near work till you get a feel for the area.

If I were working that far out on the southside, I'd be looking in some of the older existing neighborhoods off of Derenne Ave., Waters Ave, and so forth.

For the money, homes in the eastern, older section of Habersham Woods that connects to Waters, or Kensington or Bacon Park might provide you with a central location and safety. Also Edgefield, Mayfair, Fairfield, and Olinheights neighborhoods may have homes that would interest you. These aren't historic neighborhoods but they are older, well-established and centrally located. Use a local realty company that also does property management and you may be able to find a small single-family home for the cost of an apartment.

I'm going to repost Bolinha's google map to help. Google Maps
Very well said, IMO. I concur.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
"Ardsley Park would be my first choice though if you are looking to buy and be close to all of the amenities of Savannah AND be a 10 minute drive from work."

Was down there last evening.
Nice area. I really like it.
Lot of homes for rent, or sale.
Just South of Victory.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
LOL. I'm nitpicking, of course, but I don't know when Ardsley Park (proper) has been 10 minutes from St. Josephs, unless it's during the dead of night. Say 20 minutes to be safe.

In the Savannah mentality you may as well say St. Josephs is in N. Jacksonville. Usually I allow a half hour from downtown to Armstrong, which is just past there. Keeps my blood pressure normal that way.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
"LOL. I'm nitpicking, of course,... "
This is nitpicking:
Attached Thumbnails
On my Way to Savannah-002_2.jpg  

Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM

50 posts, read 196,604 times
Elie, I'd never argue w/ you, but where do you think St. Joseph is? I was thinking Waters & DeRenne.
I'm in "Ardsley Park" (I realize official Ardsley is bet. Victory & Washington, where the "Crescent" is) @ E. 51 & Waters, and it takes me 5min. to get to St. Joseph/Candler. I know there is another St. Joseph down deep into Southside. "Lifeparttwo" Which St. Josie you workin' at?

-- dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area