Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 48,737 times

Advertisements

hello, everyone! I'm a 29 year old single woman who is possibly moving to savannah very soon to take a job that pays in the $50k range. i have been living in columbia, SC for the last 6 years and am familiar w/savannah in a regular touristy way (ie, i have been to savannah several times, but i have yet to see the bad side of savannah, if there is one).

here's my question: i would be working downtown in the historic area. is it a good idea for me to rent a place within walking distance of work? or would it be unsafe for me to walk home at the end of the day? on a more practical note, would the lack of parking in my neighborhood drive me nuts?

i am not naive about crime, as columbia has its fair share, and i'm used to it. i'm assuming that safe navigation of savannah is similar to columbia: use common sense and avoid the bad parts of town and you will be fine. i'm not a night owl, so being out at night isn't something i'd do often, especially alone. someone recently told me that savannah is a LOT safer than it used to be. is that true?

do you have a different part of town that you'd recommend to me? i have no children, just a small dog. my boyfriend will hopefully be transferring his job down here to join me soon after i arrive. i enjoy running, especially outside, so if there's a good part of town for that, i'm interested. i'd just love to have the views, restaurants and shopping near my home. that's the main reason i'd love to live in the historic downtown. it's so charming!!

i'm hoping i can find a real estate company that specializes in downtown rentals, as i would not be able to buy a house until i sell mine in SC, and my boyf and i have been talking about getting married, anyway. i have been browsing the internet, and the rents downtown are all over the map! i've seen $350 all the way up to $2000/month. what gives?

is renting downtown a good idea??? any help/advice would be great! thanks in advance.

p.s. charleston ain't got NOTHIN on savannah!!! there is no contest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I don't know about you, but the lack of parking would drive ME nuts! I don't even want to think about trying to have guests.

It would make sense to live near your place of work, but there are disadvantages. When it's rainy, it's too close to drive (and find another parking spot) and it's too far to walk without getting soaked.

And the running! If you really like to run, there is only one place, that's around Forsyth Park that would work for you. People do run, but it's up and down over curbs, dodging traffic at the corners....not really the best place for a dedicated runner.

yeah, the rents are all over the map. That's because the quality and size of the apartments are all over the map too. They range from dump to delightful.

Savannah has many different sections that are lovely. And would work for someone interested in running. Since you will be working in the downtown area, something close to the Truman Parkway would give you a quick drive into your work area. Places like Mayfair, Magnolia Park, Kensington Park, just to head off the list, would work just fine for you. Mayfair is also close to Lake Meyer, which has a mile and a half running track around it.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I think it would be a great idea for you to live downtown and walk or bike to work. Lots of people do. It's not that unsafe and parking is not a big deal if you know the secret places. And if you don't like it after awhile, you can find someplace else to live. But there's nothing like living downtown.

Now is a great time to find a wonderful apartment - there are more available than there are tenants to fill them. The condos everyone was developing failed to sell, so now many of them are for rent. That's probably why you're moving here. LOL

Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
If I lived downtown I wouldn't even own a car.
If mass transit was decent.
A bus, or cab (taxi) would work for me.
Sorta like up in N.Y.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area