Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamsden View Post
1. LA
2. Boston

Savannah has it's issues, but compared to larger metros the driving here isn't that bad. The one issue though is rain. A little rain around 4:30 and I-16 becomes a parking lot. I've had conversations with people about this some from the area and some not and the conclusion I've drawn is:

1. Because vehicles are not required to be inspected in Georgia many are on the roads that shouldn't be including many with poor tire tread. I can honestly say on a daily basis driving in from Richmond Hill I see cars that I know would not pass a typical vehicle inspection in states where they are required.

2. The driving test here isn't tough enough. I remember when I lived up north I had to parallel park in real busy downtown traffic, park on a hill and drive on the interstate during rush hour. I also took drivers ed in the 9th grade at school. From what I've been told about the driving test here my 10 y/o son could pass it. Also, where I use to live you had to wait to get a license until 17 unless you took drivers ed. If you took it and passed you could get a permit at 15 and you license at 16. This motivated most all kids to take drivers ed.
I can agree with you on what you stated about Savannah drivers. However, I'm not so sure about LA drivers being worst. Their congestion is definitely the worst in the nation, hands down, however their driving habits aren't the worst. Out of all the places I've been, I will say this, the best drivers I have experienced (habit wise) are located in and around the Great Lakes region and up in Canada. The nicest drivers you'll encounter! (On a positive note) Especially in Ontario around Toronto.
Now, the worst drivers I have encountered IMO would be in places like Mobile, Alabama, Chattanooga, Tennessee, and South Floridians are well known for their very rude driving behaviours. I would also like to say, even though we might not be the worst, we're certainly not far from being the worst here in Savannah. The lack of common courtesy is why. Mainly those who refuse to get in the right lane and let faster vehicles behind them pass. This, in turn, creates unnecessary congestion.
I guess you could say the drivers here are rude or they just don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,631 times
I respect someone who is driving in the left lane and passing someone- regardless of what speed they are going. If I am doing the same and someone is tailgating me I just slow down out of habit because it is annoying me. Overall, I think a few MPH difference does not really make any difference, as long as people are all going about the same speed- everyone will get to where they want in a decent time. It's when idiot drivers going really fast or really slow tailgate or dont conform to normal drivers cause accidents which makes EVERYONE wait.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 AM

If that person in the left lane would have just simply moved into the right/slow lane where they belonged, they wouldn't have the problem of being tailgated! Although tailgating is wrong and nobody should do it, doesn't mean some drivers won't still do it anyway. Its common courtesy and the law to move over and let the faster driver pass you on the left... instead of slowing down and casing a bottleneck (which tends to happen frequently because of slow drivers who poke around in that left lane)

Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Unfortunately, on streets like Montgomery Cross Road, if you don't drive in the left lane, you won't be able to get into it to make a left turn when you want to. The drivers just won't let you in regardless of when you turned on your turn signal. Most drive the speed limit. It's the people that drive about 5-10 mph over the limit that are the big problem. They don't even seem to know that there is another lane. They certainly don't have the ability to watch the traffic in it and respond accordingly.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroknoppix View Post
At least this is my opinion and not based on statistics.

I never experienced road rage until I moved to Savannah. Every day on my way home from work I'm amazed at the reckless abandon you people have for other motorist on the road. If you want in front of me, use your turn signal and I'll be more than happy to slow down and let you into the lane. You don't have to cut me off without any warning.

You would think that the cops would be issuing tickets left and right in this moldy sponge of a town. Like a month ago when that giant F350 decided to cut through three lanes of traffic on Abercorn by the Savannah mall stop light going on to 204. Only when he got into the turning lane did you flip his blinker on. Slamming on my brakes didn't **** me off nearly as much as noticing there was a cop right behind me to witness it and he did nothing.
That is because some cops drive just as bAD....

Old 03-06-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutthis2015 View Post
That is because some cops drive just as bAD....
You joined JUST to comment on a post that is 6 years old?!?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM

334 posts, read 625,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Nice rant!
But I've seen worse drivers.
Much worse.

Ps: Turn signals are an extra cost option when you buy a vehicle down heah.
you've never driven in LA, Anaheim, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, or Cape Coral/Ft Myers fl, or raligh NC in this case. its the problem of the GOP voted down the HUGE infrastructure bill to make Obama look bad. talk about cut of the nose t spite the face! LOL. I have lived in NC where the infrastructure is kept up with and it is SO nice ! It makes a big difference in life in general for everyone. Ga has a higher tax state, and I'd love to know what it does with all the money? Looking around Savannah I'd say not much.
Savanah Ga is a classic example of the super rich get richer and the rest of us get crumbs. hence a HUGE homeless population that basically has to fend for its self. the 17 overpass cul-de-sacs are a camp ground for these poor lost folks. its a there but for the grace of god , moment each time I have to see it.
The crime in all but the richest of the neighborhoods is off the chart, and let NO ONE tell you other wise. lots of gun violence , poor people, drug people, and ptsd people .
Pooler, I have never heard a unkind word spoken about the place, except the schools aren't great. but I understand they are getting better. lots of tract homes and new building subdivisions of every kind. I suggest ( IMHO) staying away from the vinyl siding, or at least doing a little unbiased research as it can cause a plethora of problems. Builders use it because it is Minimum code and cheap!

Effingham co gets a bad rap because of rural Guyton as far as I can tell. lots of meth labs out there . and now , taking a cue from breaking bad, they have gone mobile. If Ga. would legalize weed this problem would go away over night. Many of these cookers are farmers trying to support themselves, ex- farm workers too. What corporate America let happen to the small farmers is a sin... for all of us), BUT, now there is a whole foods in Savanah! so we have been saved! LOL)
Also, I think there was a bad murder in Rincon... but I need to do more research for the facts and details on that. I am in research mode as we are trying to decide between Hardeeville SC ( schools not a problem , retired) and Rincon. The biggest difference seems to be much more bang for your buck house wise in Rincon, but SC has less taxes, and easier access to healthcare and a good hospital.
I would love someone to explain to me why a home all brick is under 300K in Rincon but would be 400K in SC??? although SC is home of the vinyl siding... (man, people shouldn't take the word of the salesman, do your own research people. that vinyl siding is crap., really.)

Old 03-07-2015, 02:03 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Public service message: Meds are to be taken at the dosage prescribed. OD- ing can result in an mind altering state that will severely impact thought, writing, driving etc.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:48 PM

334 posts, read 625,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Public service message: Meds are to be taken at the dosage prescribed. OD- ing can result in an mind altering state that will severely impact thought, writing, driving etc.
I went off subject to see if I could provoke a response. if you know the answer to any of the questions posed above. I be grateful for a response. otherwise... I can take meds as prescribed ... LOL.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I went off subject to see if I could provoke a response. if you know the answer to any of the questions posed above. I be grateful for a response. otherwise... I can take meds as prescribed ... LOL.
Did you ever solve the problem of yer mother not showering? (You posted it...not me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area