Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,236 times

Advertisements

We are going to FLA in a couple of weeks and were going to stay in/near Savannah on the way (we have a 10 month old baby) and maybe spend an afternoon and evening.

Can anyone recommend where to stay? We saw a couple of cheap hotels in Pooler? Is it a nice area? Hotels okay or no good?

Or should we just stay in the historic district (I can cash in some rewards points for the Doubletree or Hampton Inn)?

Can someone share a "to do" list of things to do/see while we are there? Places to walk to? Places to eat?

Share some insider info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
I would strongly suggest you cash in some of your rewards points and stay in the historic district. Though Pooler and the surrounding areas around 95 are nice and cheap, they are too far away to really enjoy Savannah to its fullest. Of course you could drive the extra 20-25 minutes from there but you do NOT want to drive once you're in the historic district. It is done so much easier and better walking.

While you are here, I would suggest taking a trolley tour of the city first to get your bearings. Find a map of the district to help you out. After that, take a walk along River Street, City Market (If you're a Paula Deen fan, she's got a restaurant called The Lady & Sons located near City Market. If you aren't, I wouldn't bother eating there.) If you aren't a fan, there are other better restaurants to eat at such as The Olde Pink House, Vic's on the River or 45 Bistro inside the Marshall House (which is a sort of boutique hotel located on East Broughton Street. If you don't mind spending $130-$180 this is the PERFECT place to stay while in Savannah also; the oldest hotel in SAV)
Bull Street is one of the most scenic streets downtown. I would suggest walking this street to Forsyth Park where there is a beautiful fountain and a lot of places to have a picnic if that is your desire.

There are so many more things I could list but you get the idea.
Have fun and enjoy Savannah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area