Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to read the whole thing, but as an engineer, here's my thoughts.

48÷2(9+3) = 2

The reason...
÷ = What's to the right of it is the denominator
(9+3) is assumed to be in the denominator because it's shown multiplying 2 in a way that is commonly used in algebra 2(9+3).

If (9+3) were in the numerator, the equation should have been written this way
48(9+3)÷2 or this way (48÷2)(9+3)

As an engineer, I've taken LOTS of math classes.
and you are never going to find a book that shows that equation in that way implying that
48÷2(9+3) = (48÷2)(9+3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Actually it's 288. It's a very simple elementary problem. You do what's in parentheses first, then divide the other, then multiply 24(12)... VERY simple. Let's not argue over common sense.
By doing that, you kicked the (12) that was multiplying 2(12) to the numerator.
48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) <= At that point, there's nothing saying that (12) is in the numerator.
Instead, by saying that (12) is multiplying 2, it says that it is in the denominator.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 PM

874 posts, read 1,649,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) <= At that point, there's nothing saying that (12) is in the numerator.
Instead, by saying that (12) is multiplying 2, it says that it is in the denominator.
Hmmm, I think you could have just said multiplication before division... then it would be 48 / 2 x 12. I forgot order of operations. The answer is 2 then.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Hmmm, I think you could have just said multiplication before division... then it would be 48 / 2 x 12. I forgot order of operations. The answer is 2 then.
Multiplication does not come before division -- they are in fact the same operation. (More accurately, one is the inverse of the other; but one does not take precedence over the other.)

Rather, what's causing most of the commotion is the use of the "÷" symbol. There's a reason why this symbol is not used in algebra. This thread is a perfect illustration of that reason.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
I didn't want to read the whole thing, but as an engineer, here's my thoughts.

48÷2(9+3) = 2

The reason...
÷ = What's to the right of it is the denominator
(9+3) is assumed to be in the denominator because it's shown multiplying 2 in a way that is commonly used in algebra 2(9+3).

If (9+3) were in the numerator, the equation should have been written this way
48(9+3)÷2 or this way (48÷2)(9+3)

As an engineer, I've taken LOTS of math classes.
and you are never going to find a book that shows that equation in that way implying that
48÷2(9+3) = (48÷2)(9+3)
The question posed by the OP has made the circles in many other online Forums. If you search Engineering Forums, you will find it there, too. And, you will find those "engineers" arguing the case for 288 and 2 as well.

Quote:
I agree that (12) "should" be in the denominator, as I pointed out in an early post, but as Drover mentions, it is really about how one reads the division sign.

As I also mentioned in an early post, this is a typical are you smarter than a 5th grader question. Look at it like this: in elementary school, we learn the basic functions of the English language, yet ask a college educated adult to pick out the adverb in a sentence and you will find them scratching their heads. Even though they [may] have better command over language use and rules, such a fundamental building block no longer holds concern since the impetus on proper structure and syntax has become second nature that the basics have long been forgotten.

Yet, a 5th grader who is fresh from the study of fundamental English language rules would be in a better position to recall such a thing since it is still fresh.

Dover is correct. The ÷ in basic arithmetic would indicate this to be a simple left-to-right order of operations (after the parenthesis, of course), which would give the answer of 288. However, as pointed out, the ÷ is not used in algebra for that very same reason. The / sign also indicates division, but using / would place the (12) with the denominator, so you get 2; which is why in another early post I said that you can get both answers depending on how you read the question. I, like many, see ÷ as /, yet honestly the question posed uses ÷, so I suppose I will concede that by pure usage of the division sign, this is basic left-to-right arithmetic, not algebra, and the answer is 288....although I want it to be 2

Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I didn't read through all 23 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has already been said, but IIRC from high school math class, there is an easy way to remember the ORDER OF OPERATIONS. Just remember the following phrase: Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sallie

Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplications
Divisions
Additions
Subtractions

48/2(9+3)

Parentheses: 9+3 = 12

48/2(12)

Exponents: doesn't apply

still 48/2(12)

Multiplication: 2*12 (which = 24)

48/24

Division

48/24 = 2

We now have our answer (obviously the last two components also don't apply here since there aren't any).

The only way I see this coming out to 288 is if it were written as follows:

(48/2)*(9+3)

24*12 = 288

This is as I seem to remember, any equation written as such: 2(12) is a multiplication of 2 and 12, and multiplication comes before division in the order of operations.

However, I did plug the equation into a spreadsheet (it made me put the multiplication symbol between the 2 and the opening parentheses) and it did come out to 288. So either I missed something, or there is a special exception to the rule here somewhere?
Your error is the bolded part. Multiplication does not have a higher precedence than division.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Dover is correct. The ÷ in basic arithmetic would indicate this to be a simple left-to-right order of operations (after the parenthesis, of course), which would give the answer of 288. However, as pointed out, the ÷ is not used in algebra for that very same reason. The / sign also indicates division, but using / would place the (12) with the denominator, so you get 2; which is why in another early post I said that you can get both answers depending on how you read the question. I, like many, see ÷ as /, yet honestly the question posed uses ÷, so I suppose I will concede that by pure usage of the division sign, this is basic left-to-right arithmetic, not algebra, and the answer is 288....although I want it to be 2
This part is wrong. Obelus and Slash are interchangeable in math. There is no problem with the operator symbol.

The issue here is that the way the expression is written confuses people and causes them to make a simple, yet not so obvious mistake and result in the answer 2.

Iit has been argued) that the expression is ambiguous. If you take into consideration that many people have weak math skills, then it can be argued that the expression is poorly written for many to understand properly. But the expression in itself is not ambiguous.

For example, in C, one could write x=++a+(c++)-(++b) and it would be completely legit, yet confusing to most people.

The expression is just confusing. Not incorrect; Not ambiguous.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 PM

208 posts, read 476,476 times
[left](48 ÷ 2) * (9 + 3) = 288[/left]

Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,940 times
This is still going on

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times
.[deleted]

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-20-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology