Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 AM

140 posts, read 298,941 times

Advertisements

Since this has been covered to death how about we discuss the "airplane on a conveyor" question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 AM

591 posts, read 866,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've asked Math PhDs, Math Masters, and dozens of engineers.

Only three people said 288 (my 6th grade daughter, her teacher, and this chick at work with a masters in math). All the engineers, the math PhD said 2. (I said 2 myself.)

Think about that. Think about sitting around a conference room table at a technical meeting and a bunch of America's best and brightest immediately think the answer is 2. Think about potentially bad designs based on this very common yet simple error. Mind Boggling.

Almost everyone sees the division sign as separating a numerator of 48 and a denominator of the product of 2 and 12. But that's not what that equation translates to.

Google, Matlab, and Excel will all provide 288.

All I care about is Excel says 2. Case Closed.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
By pasting "48/2(9+3)" in Excel, it gives me 288. How are you getting 2?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
I got 288 in Excel, Matlab, and Google.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
KISS people, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Just write out all numbers in fractions. Do that and you can't mess it up. Otherwise, it is simply an issue of order of operations to which people are violating when they get 2.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,738 times
I started reading the beginning of this thread and got fed up with how so many people were attacking others when they came up with a specific answer (for example if you answered 2, 288 whatever you're an idiot).

Everyone for the most part is coming up with different answers because we were taught different ways of how to handle this equation. I bet you poll 400 Math teachers from Elementery, Middle, and HS all on this question and the disparity of answers you'll get is what we see on this thread.

Other than in math class, I don't ever see coming across this equation for something practical in real life and if I did, that equation wouldn't look like that...there would be more parentheses or something to distinguish it better so there's no ambiguity.

And if you come across it in math class...which likely the is the only place you'll come across this then, if you want to get credit for doing it right, you do it the way your math teacher taught you...otherwise if you think the teacher is wrong then more power to you....you just won't get credit for doing it your way whether it is right or wrong.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I started reading the beginning of this thread and got fed up with how so many people were attacking others when they came up with a specific answer (for example if you answered 2, 288 whatever you're an idiot).

Everyone for the most part is coming up with different answers because we were taught different ways of how to handle this equation. I bet you poll 400 Math teachers from Elementery, Middle, and HS all on this question and the disparity of answers you'll get is what we see on this thread.

Other than in math class, I don't ever see coming across this equation for something practical in real life and if I did, that equation wouldn't look like that...there would be more parentheses or something to distinguish it better so there's no ambiguity.

And if you come across it in math class...which likely the is the only place you'll come across this then, if you want to get credit for doing it right, you do it the way your math teacher taught you...otherwise if you think the teacher is wrong then more power to you....you just won't get credit for doing it your way whether it is right or wrong.

If people were taught any other way than the correct way (as is easily shown with converting everything to a fraction or using the order of operations), then they were taught wrong.

There is no other way to do this. There is simply the right way, and the wrong way.

Now certainly, you can object to the form it is in and say it is misleading to which confuses people if they are used to seeing things a certain way, but that doesn't change the fact that they are doing the equation wrong. There is no room for compromise here, this is an issue of logical order and process to which by doing it the wrong way is completely invalid.

The problem here is that people are forgetting that a whole number is simply a ratio of value, a faction in itself. When one applies such to the equation, it can not be done wrong.

48/1 * 1/2 = 48/2. Understand?

Now break everything apart in such a fashion and only do simple steps.

48/1 * 1/2 * (9/1 +3/1)

48/1 * 1/2 * 12/1 Multiply the numertors and denominators across (simple fractions).

596/2 half of 596 is 288.

There is no other way to do this. The reason people get 2 is because they improperly multiply a numerator with a denominator violating the most basic principals.

It can never be two, ever.

The reason we follow a precise aspect of an order of operations is not because it is some stupid formula process we do, but because it is a proof of process to which follow the basic principals to which the numbers exist in relation to each other.

There is no compromise here. Everyone getting 2 is wrong here, not because I say so, but because it is shown so by the very basic math.

Here is a site that gives a basic explanation of the order of operations using many examples:

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

Here is also the definitions and examples of various properties and processes

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq....glossary.html

Last edited by Nomander; 07-27-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,879 times
This is stupid and annoying

Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times

Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 AM

452 posts, read 310,787 times
It's whatever 24*12 is. WAIT let me get my calculator...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology