Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 PM

242 posts, read 235,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please let me know which company's seismic logs you're reading so I can make sure I don't own any of their stock...

lol geologists read logs not engineers, go back to school son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince40000 View Post
lol geologists read logs not engineers, go back to school son
"Son", my brother was a petroleum engineer with Dresser for 30 years and free-lanced as a log analyst after retirement. He worked with geologists that worked at locating promising formations. At 67, it's probably a tad late for me to return to school. I already have all the degrees I need anyway, thanks. So, you're telling me that as a petroleum engineer you've never had to interpret a seismic log? What then do you do exactly? Sales engineer? Take prospective clients on deer hunts?

Fes up: I'm guessing you're probably still in school studying to be a Petroleum Engineer, taking the required geology, and don't really know as yet what a Petroleum Engineer actually does on the job.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-27-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,899 times
It's 288 FINAL!

Order of Operations

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
It's 288 FINAL!

Order of Operations
Correct! You get an 'A' on the pop quiz.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince40000 View Post
no thanks my millions as a petroleum engineer mean i dont need small change back.
and yea the correct answer is 2, sorry to shatter your world view
It's such a shame, maybe I should get things wrong so I can get a big paycheck?

Nah, I have a better idea.I will be right, and laugh at your answer. Again, it's simple math.

Because multiplication and division carry the same weight, you perform the addition inside the paren, and the rest of the equation from left to right.

48/2*(9+3)

24*(12)

3rd grade math.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Son", my brother was a petroleum engineer with Dresser for 30 years and free-lanced as a log analyst after retirement. He worked with geologists that worked at locating promising formations. At 67, it's probably a tad late for me to return to school. I already have all the degrees I need anyway, thanks. So, you're telling me that as a petroleum engineer you've never had to interpret a seismic log? What then do you do exactly? Sales engineer? Take prospective clients on deer hunts?

Fess up: I'm guessing you're probably still in school studying to be a Petroleum Engineer, taking the required geology, and don't really know as yet what a Petroleum Engineer actually does on the job.
I feel for you, In my 2nd ½ century of life I am probably a bit long in the tooth to go back to school also. <G>

And here we are trying to educate some of these young puppies in something that we learned 45-57 years ago..

Damn we had good teachers!

Last edited by Darkatt; 09-27-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,636,710 times
Gotta love this thread. Everyone who was taught a different convention from you is a moron, an idiot, a hopeless example of everything that is wrong about the education system, etc. The facts are that some people are indeed taught a different approach to solving these sorts of equations. The system that I was taught was that multiplication "attached" to parenthesis is carried out before other multiplication and division. Some people were apparently taught a strict left to right approach which leads to a different answer. Obviously the problem here is not that half the rest of the world is too stupid to do basic algebra, but that the expression is ambiguous and can be approached in different ways. The way to fix this is to add more parentheses so that it is clear which way it is intended to be solved, not to ridicule other people for having been taught a different approach than you.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Gotta love this thread. Everyone who was taught a different convention from you is a moron, an idiot, a hopeless example of everything that is wrong about the education system, etc. The facts are that some people are indeed taught a different approach to solving these sorts of equations. The system that I was taught was that multiplication "attached" to parenthesis is carried out before other multiplication and division. Some people were apparently taught a strict left to right approach which leads to a different answer. Obviously the problem here is not that half the rest of the world is too stupid to do basic algebra, but that the expression is ambiguous and can be approached in different ways. The way to fix this is to add more parentheses so that it is clear which way it is intended to be solved, not to ridicule other people for having been taught a different approach than you.
The problem in people's minds is expresseD as this

___ x(9+3)

vs

___
2(9+3)

The problem is within the actual writing of the equation, is it actually
2(9+3)

or (2(9+3))

The end result however, is after careful study of the problem, we must understand that due to not having a 2nd set of paren to encompass the 2*(9+3), that it is simple multiplication, and because multiplication carries the same weight as division, being the inverse to each other, have equal status in this equation. Since both have equal status, and neither are significant in having a paren to establish a precedence in order of operation, operation is performed from left to right.

If we look at the problem differently,

48÷2(9+x) =

we get 24(9+x) Now we find X=3, and the completion of the equation = 288.

The question of is it
___ x(9+3)

vs

___
2(9+3)
Is answered by the fact that there are no second paren, establishing that the 2*(9+3) has a higher order of precedence. Since it doesn't it has to be be performed left to right, Order of operation.

Last edited by Darkatt; 09-27-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well looky looky, there are links. So we have web sites expressing opposing opinions. Hence the YEC website's opinion analogy. Still no 'official' ruling body.
In case you missed it, the first three links are to your posts where you adamantly say the answer is two - in response to your post that it's too ambiguous to solve.

Theeeeen, just pointing out your copy-pasta. Luckily I have a script that checks people's posts for copy-pasta and provides me a list of source websites (if applicable) so I didn't need to hunt it down.

Quite amusing that you'd use a Tripod-based website as fact, while refuting .edu websites.

The good thing is, anyone willing to actually read/comprehend will see that your "evidence" is a single website posting an opinion piece referencing a now-removed posting from the AMS that merely says what they do to make printing look pretty without rhyme or reason. Then of course, a horde of google results that point to this single opinion piece touting it as absolute fact.

Unless you can provide more links and not just copy-pasta thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Yes, to you, I have know that all a long. As for me I'll stick with two. It's a better convention. I think you are getting it.
First two, then ambiguous, then two. Are we flipping pancakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
The system that I was taught was that multiplication "attached" to parenthesis is carried out before other multiplication and division.
And here's the fun of the debate: People were taught different systems. You were taught the above method; I was taught strict order of operations. The thread shouldn't be about telling people they need a refund on their tuition, touting degrees and money as signs of intelligence, or "grading" each other's work.

It's in discussing why we were taught different conventions and actually understanding the concepts behind them.

So my question to you is simple: Why do you think you were taught to give multiplication attached to parenthesis a higher weight than other forms of multiplication.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,636,710 times
Quote:
So my question to you is simple: Why do you think you were taught to give multiplication attached to parenthesis a higher weight than other forms of multiplication.
Why do I think they taught it that way? I'd guess that it was the system used by the approved textbook. Why do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology