Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

A question to the OP and anyone else who wants to chime in....

How did you dispose of your defective CFL bulbs?

But please don't post the EPA's guidelines, I am aware of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'll have to have you ship me some when my stash runs out
Would gladly do it but within the bill is this little gem:

Quote:
“HB 2510 would affirm that an incandescent light bulb that was manufactured in Texas and remained in the state would not be subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of the U.S. Congress to regulate interstate commerce.”
Now we would never think of breaking any laws, now would we? <wink.<wink>

Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Would gladly do it but within the bill is this little gem:

Now we would never think of breaking any laws, now would we? <wink.<wink>
It's a sad day in the U.S. when you can't ship a lightbulb out of state
I can see the charge now, transporting an incandescent light bulb across state lines

Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:

Most people will just toss them in the garbage, which is where the problem lies.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
It's a sad day in the U.S. when you can't ship a lightbulb out of state
I can see the charge now, transporting an incandescent light bulb across state lines
Or, you can buy incandescent bulbs in your own state.

Quote:
Most people will just toss them in the garbage, which is where the problem lies.
Unfortunately, yes. I won't be surprised to learn that people have been irresponsible and careless about throwing such things as the old fashioned thermostats in trash either. Education and convenience would go a long way from alleviating this problem. It takes me a good 40-45 minute round trip drive (and mostly highway) to get to a facility to dispose off such things. That itself would discourage a lot of people.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Where do you think the maintenance workers toss the big long fluorescents in supermarkets and chain stores?I see them curb side for reg trash day pick up.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
Quote:

They go into the trash can.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
I started swapping to CFL's when they first started becoming readily available. I can't remember exactly what year it was but it had to be around 2002 or 2003 or maybe a little earlier. They range in age from that time up to about a year old and I have only had to replace a couple of the very first one's I installed in heavily used lights. I have had very good results with them and they use much less electricity.

All of mine are name brand, either GE or sylvania and I haven't had any issues some of you are reporting. If yours are going bad quickly you most likely have an electrical issue you your home's wiring or your incoming power is susceptible to surges or higher than normal voltage. No one I know that already uses CFL's has had any problems.

As for Texas passing special legislation, Federal law always trumps state and local law so if the Government/EPA wants to push it; they will just cut some federal funding to Texas until they comply and that will be that. They could also put pressure on the manufacturers or fine them depending on how the federal law is written. I don't really see GE giving the feds the finger just to sell a few cheap bulbs in Texas. It will be interesting to see how that all sorts out.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
As for Texas passing special legislation, Federal law always trumps state and local law so if the Government/EPA wants to push it; they will just cut some federal funding to Texas until they comply and that will be that. They could also put pressure on the manufacturers or fine them depending on how the federal law is written. I don't really see GE giving the feds the finger just to sell a few cheap bulbs in Texas. It will be interesting to see how that all sorts out.
Obviously you missed the following in the article:

Quote:
“HB 2510 would affirm that an incandescent light bulb that was manufactured in Texas and remained in the state would not be subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of the U.S. Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Since 2005 in my house. Most bulbs are from then. If I were having the problem as you claim to, I wouldn't be replacing the dead old ones with new.
Claim to? Sheesh, what is with people always having to insinuate something? But I'm not the only one with problems with CFLs, Wired Magazine has a long article in it's latest issue about LEDs and their growing popularity, mainly because people just don't like CFLs...here, from Wired.

But problems of dimming, flicker, and light color remained. And manufacturer claims of bulb lifetime and quality were wildly exaggerated. Consumers didn’t understand that CFLs burn out rapidly when they’re not allowed to rest at least 15 minutes between being cycled off and on, or that they’d overheat and fail if they were used in recessed ceiling canisters; they weren’t told that there was no standard definition of what a 60-, 75-, or 100-watt incandescent replacement actually was.

They also discuss shoddy CFL manufacturing and that CFLs are horrible, flickery, ugly, and unreliable....here you go - The Future of Light Is the LED | Magazine

Last edited by Dockside; 08-23-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology