Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times

Advertisements

It still needs to be checked for side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,452 times
Here I was, ready to thrash this snake-oil idea. I looked up SRT1720. Seems that there may be something to it. Usually, I consider the BBC as the most credible news source.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I like all the research with Resveratrol especially it's influence on the Sirt-1,2 Genes for enhanced longevity but.....i'm not sure if it can really help in obesity like the study here suggests. I really like to see more large scale clinical studies.

Thanks for posting that for us Brian.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
It's called good ol' fashioned exercise, physical activity and proper eating habits.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
It's called good ol' fashioned exercise, physical activity and proper eating habits.

I agree. Nothing substitutes for exercising will-power to eat right and exercise.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

From what I've read, some people need help above and beyond exercise and good eating habits. Possibly there are some kinds of genetic disorders. It's recently been shown that fat cells can increase in number. I used to think that the number of cells stayed the same.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,885 times
Default Fat-burning stuff possible

Where have you been CHILDREN? Want to burn off the fat with virtually not being able to do any exercises? Ah, I thought so, well go to the health food store they might sell this now at the grocery stores. VIRGIN COCONUT OIL, yeap, that is right, take one to two tablespoons per day, see what happens in one week, wow my pants are falling off my waist you will be saying try it for thirty days. COCNUT OIL is very good for you all, try it

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,724 times
I've struggled with my weight since puberty and I agree with Brian.Pearson that it could be some kind of generic disorder. I tried lifting weights and running. I got up to 10 miles per day, 6 days a week, ate VERY healthy and still had trouble losing enough weight. Weight Watchers helps but only to a point. I lose weight on WW, but not enough to reach the weight I should be for my height. Whether I run and eat healthy, or go on WW for years, I just can't seem to reach the ideal weight for my height. No one in my family was ever obese including myself, but most of the females were a good 15 to 20 lbs overweight, same as I, and it's been with me since grade school. When you're only 5' 1" tall, 15 to 20 lbs really shows up on a very small frame. Maybe I should try that Virgin cocont oil. I wonder if there are any studies about this stuff.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
Where have you been CHILDREN? Want to burn off the fat with virtually not being able to do any exercises? Ah, I thought so, well go to the health food store they might sell this now at the grocery stores. VIRGIN COCONUT OIL, yeap, that is right, take one to two tablespoons per day, see what happens in one week, wow my pants are falling off my waist you will be saying try it for thirty days. COCNUT OIL is very good for you all, try it
If only it was that simple .

While i do like coconut oil and believe some of it's virtues for good health especially skin and hair etc.i need to see science with these claims as fat only leaves the body because of the Cell Mitochondrias (Cell Powerplants) burning it off as a fuel source and coconut oil by it's self won't fire them up magically so you can eat fast food galore and yet be skinny by just adding coconut oil.

Also being in the Bodybuilding and Fitness industry since 1985 when i was a tall and skinny weakling (6 foot 3 and 140 lbs) i've met and seen every kind of body and how they either lost weight or in my case build muscle etc..Trust me when i say i have a grasp as to what works and what doesn't.

Yeap if only it was that simple .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 11-18-2008 at 05:34 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,738 times
The best ''Fat burning stuff'' on the market is .....Drum roll.....................TREADMILL supplemented with a calorie deficit, and your really cooking!.....Yea ...If it only came in a pill??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology