Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM

144 posts, read 304,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't see that rushing approval of a procedure will change. Why will procedures not still work, even if the actual physical testing will be different. The part where you find its passes and go to the second part, where you make a target group and follow them for five or ten years is about time and how can that change? The human organism is a deeply complex being and you can NOT speed up time to see if it does unsuspected harm. Models can predict, but only predict. It is not about how fast technology goes by.
Actually once virtual reality technology has reached a certain point, the element of time and the passage of it can be manipulated, so that at least theoretically, we could simluate the seriously LONG term effects various procedures will have on a human.
As far as people not rushing out to merge with machines. Once upon a time personal computers, cell phones, and the internet were not in high-demand by the general public. These things all advanced over time and gradually became more and more regular normal parts of peoples' everyday life. Such will be the case as technology continues to advance. We won't become cyborgs overnight, merging in various ways will seem normal, by and large, just like when you walk by someone on the street talking to someone via a bluetooth device in their ear, 40 years ago you'd have thought they were strange or insane. Cell phones and computers today are tools that we control, yes, so too will we control how our intelligence is enhanced, and how our bodies are improved. These advancements will still be tools and augments to ourselves, not some alien invading force we have no control of. Your in denial that people with technological medical enhancements aren't cyborgs and that's not merging with machines, it IS. You discount it only to make yourself feel better that this trend has not already started on a mass scale. Your stuck on the idea of what the definition of being human IS. This will be an evolving definition. All this technology is coming, there is no stopping it, those who reject it all outright will be the ones that get left behind and become obsolete, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In several years, smartphones could come equipped with a microchip that lets users peer through boxes, walls and other objects.
This doesn't seem harmless. See through boxes? Could ruin surprising someone with a present. See through walls? Major invasion of privacy issues. We'll have hordes of teenage boys using it up against girls' locker rooms and bathrooms.

Found this very interesting 20 minute documentary called Transhuman, about living forever and about how people will alter themselves. Some really interesting stuff in there, if we can change our very molecular structures and incorporate animal genetics into ourselves, there could someday be people with real wings that can fly like birds, or people who have skin like a marble table, if they so wish, changing their entire structure and form on a whim just like we now flick on and off a light switch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PAj2yorJig
How do you embed youtube videos here?
I think they cover head transplants in that video so that was interesting you posted about that Joseppie. A scientist quite awhile ago, and I had no idea this had been attempted, actually transplanted the heads of monkeys and the monkey still lived, but only for a time. Fascinating that this was an early attempt that one day could be perfected with humans, allowing for body switching or perpetual existence.

Last edited by NeonHellLights; 07-23-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
Actually once virtual reality technology has reached a certain point, the element of time and the passage of it can be manipulated, so that at least theoretically, we could simluate the seriously LONG term effects various procedures will have on a human.
As far as people not rushing out to merge with machines. Once upon a time personal computers, cell phones, and the internet were not in high-demand by the general public. These things all advanced over time and gradually became more and more regular normal parts of peoples' everyday life. Such will be the case as technology continues to advance. We won't become cyborgs overnight, merging in various ways will seem normal, by and large, just like when you walk by someone on the street talking to someone via a bluetooth device in their ear, 40 years ago you'd have thought they were strange or insane. Cell phones and computers today are tools that we control, yes, so too will we control how our intelligence is enhanced, and how our bodies are improved. These advancements will still be tools and augments to ourselves, not some alien invading force we have no control of. Your in denial that people with technological medical enhancements aren't cyborgs and that's not merging with machines, it IS. You discount it only to make yourself feel better that this trend has not already started on a mass scale. Your stuck on the idea of what the definition of being human IS. This will be an evolving definition. All this technology is coming, there is no stopping it, those who reject it all outright will be the ones that get left behind and become obsolete, not the other way around.

This doesn't seem harmless. See through boxes? Could ruin surprising someone with a present. See through walls? Major invasion of privacy issues. We'll have hordes of teenage boys using it up against girls' locker rooms and bathrooms.

Found this very interesting 20 minute documentary called Transhuman, about living forever and about how people will alter themselves. Some really interesting stuff in there, if we can change our very molecular structures and incorporate animal genetics into ourselves, there could someday be people with real wings that can fly like birds, or people who have skin like a marble table, if they so wish, changing their entire structure and form on a whim just like we now flick on and off a light switch.
I think they cover head transplants in that video so that was interesting you posted about that Joseppie. A scientist quite awhile ago, and I had no idea this had been attempted, actually transplanted the heads of monkeys and the monkey still lived, but only for a time. Fascinating that this was an early attempt that one day could be perfected with humans, allowing for body switching or perpetual existence.
How anyone can compare an airplane, laptop and cell phone to having half your brain removed and replaced with tech is beyond me.

Also, perhaps the reason cell phones and PCs weren't as common was due to their cost.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%

Quote:
I don't disagree. I just don't think we can stop it. Then what happens when its in our google glasses or contact lenses? No one will even know you are doing it.

Quote:
This is how you do a youtube video. I hope it makes sense:

[youtube the address here of the video behind the = sign[/youtube]

Have this [] on both sides of the youtube. Not having it was the only way to show you.

All in one line

As far as living forever I have been giving this a lot of thought. And while I still say what is forever because we can never say I have done it I've lived forever I can now say that I want to live forever. My reasoning is there is so much to see and do that I don't see how I can ever get bored and if I do get bored then I imagine I can have myself live lives and while I am living that life not realize I have lived for as long as I have but block those memories out and while I am there think that is the only life I have had. I can conceivably do this forever over and over again because since I think this is new every time I will not get bored. I hope this made sense as I was not sure how to explain it.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-23-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
How anyone can compare an airplane, laptop and cell phone to having half your brain removed and replaced with tech is beyond me.
Because its the same thing just more advanced. Here is a example. At one time computers took up an entire buildings, then an entire room now they fit in our pockets and later they will be the size of blood cells. Its all technology just more advanced as time goes on. Although I will admit that it can be surreal to think that the computers that will be the size of our blood cells and fit in our bodies in the next 10-20 years will have more processing capability then the supercomputers of the 1960's that took up entire buildings or even all of NASA when they went to the moon.

Quote:
Also, perhaps the reason cell phones and PCs weren't as common was due to their cost.
This is part of the reason just like today we have limits on what we can do with the technology and one of the reasons is cost. For example the largest supercomputers can simulate the brain but the cost is so expensive that the general public cant afford them. However by 2019 the cost will be about 1,000 dollars so the general public can afford them. Then you will see it become common place. However I say that is only part of the reason because if you go back to the 1990's no matter how much money you could spend the technology was not there to build computers that could simulate the human brain.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-23-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Because its the same thing just more advanced. Here is a example. At one time computers took up an entire buildings, then an entire room now they fit in our pockets and later they will be the size of blood cells. Its all technology just more advanced as time goes on. Although I will admit that it can be surreal to think that the computers that will be the size of our blood cells and fit in our bodies in the next 10-20 years will have more processing capability then the supercomputers of the 1960's that took up entire buildings or even all of NASA when they went to the moon.

This is part of the reason just like today we have limits on what we can do with the technology and one of the reasons is cost. For example the largest supercomputers can simulate the brain but the cost is so expensive that the general public cant afford them. However by 2019 the cost will be about 1,000 dollars so the general public can afford them. Then you will see it become common place. However I say that is only part of the reason because if you go back to the 1990's no matter how much money you could spend the technology was not there to build computers that could simulate the human brain.
Where is the evidence supercomputers will cost $1,000 in 2019? Also, I don't think any supercomputer has simulated the human brain 100%

According to this article from 2011, IBM has only managed to simulate 4.5% of the human brain:

IBM Simulates 4.5 percent of the Human Brain, and All of the Cat Brain: Scientific American
Supercomputers can store more information than the human brain and can calculate a single equation faster, but even the biggest, fastest supercomputers in the world cannot match the overall processing power of the brain. And they are nowhere near as compact or energy efficient.
Nevertheless, IBM is trying to simulate the human brain with its own cutting-edge supercomputer, called Blue Gene. For the simulation, it used 147,456 processors working in parallel with one another. IBM researchers say each processor is roughly equivalent to the one found in a personal computer, with one gigabyte of working memory.
So configured, Blue Gene simulated 4.5 percent of the brain's neurons and the connections among them called synapses—that's about one billion neurons and 10 trillion synapses. In total, the brain has roughly 20 billion neurons and 200 trillion synapses.

IBM describes the work in an intriguing paper (pdf) that compares various animal simulations done by its cognitive computing research group in Almaden, Calif. The group has managed to completely simulate the brain of a mouse (512 processors), rat (2,048) and cat (24,576). To rival the cortex inside your head, IBM predicts it will need to hook up 880,000 processors, which it hopes to achieve by 2019.

With that amount of processors you really think it will fit in our pockets?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

The evidence that a computer that has the power to simulate the human brain will cost $1,000 by 2019 is in the mathematical models that Ray uses and the computer industry since the 1980's. Modern Marvels talks about the principal and Ray does all the time.

As far as computers simulating the human brain. You misunderstand me as I said the largest supercomputers have the capability to simulate the human brain. However so far the cost of the computers is so expensive they are not used for that like the new supercomputer in China. It has the capability to simulate the human brain but its not being used for that. As far as the article a few years ago it was not possible for even the fastest computers to simulate the human brain. However as I post computers advance exponentially and if I remember correctly last year was the first year it theoretically became possible.

With computers advancing exponentially I know that not only will it fit in our pockets in time, say 10-20 years, it will be the size of our blood cell and billions will fit in our boddies.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-23-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Exclamation Microchips That Mimic the Brain: Novel Microchips Imitate the Brain's Information Processing in Real Time

I think this article is perfect for our conversation because its just another example as to where computers are going.

This is from Science Daily News:

July 22, 2013 — Novel microchips imitate the brain's information processing in real time. Neuroinformatics researchers from the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich together with colleagues from the EU and US demonstrate how complex cognitive abilities can be incorporated into electronic systems made with so-called neuromorphic chips: They show how to assemble and configure these electronic systems to function in a way similar to an actual brain. No computer works as efficiently as the human brain -- so much so that building an artificial brain is the goal of many scientists. Neuroinformatics researchers from the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich have now made a breakthrough in this direction by understanding how to configure so-called neuromorphic chips to imitate the brain's information processing abilities in real-time. They demonstrated this by building an artificial sensory processing system that exhibits cognitive abilities.

The link: Microchips that mimic the brain: Novel microchips imitate the brain's information processing in real time

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM

64 posts, read 193,157 times
Hmm... After watching the following video,
I'm starting to think that being "Upgraded" may not be so bad...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The evidence that a computer that has the power to simulate the human brain will cost $1,000 by 2019 is in the mathematical models that Ray uses and the computer industry since the 1980's. Modern Marvels talks about the principal and Ray does all the time.

As far as computers simulating the human brain. You misunderstand me as I said the largest supercomputers have the capability to simulate the human brain. However so far the cost of the computers is so expensive they are not used for that like the new supercomputer in China. It has the capability to simulate the human brain but its not being used for that. As far as the article a few years ago it was not possible for even the fastest computers to simulate the human brain. However as I post computers advance exponentially and if I remember correctly last year was the first year it theoretically became possible.

With computers advancing exponentially I know that not only will it fit in our pockets in time, say 10-20 years, it will be the size of our blood cell and billions will fit in our boddies.
But so far from what we have seen these super computers require nearly 900,000 processors and these computers are big. The top smart phones of today have like 4 processors, you think in 5 1/2 years they'll fit nearly 900,000 processors in them to match the huge super computers of today?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
But so far from what we have seen these super computers require nearly 900,000 processors and these computers are big. The top smart phones of today have like 4 processors, you think in 5 1/2 years they'll fit nearly 900,000 processors in them to match the huge super computers of today?
I have never read how big the computers will be in 2019 that will have the ability to simulate the human brain and that cost $1,000. Since my I phone only costs $400 minus the rebate I am guessing it will be larger then that though. Perhaps the size of a desk top? Then with how computers advance exponentially sometime in the 2020's and defiantly by the 2030's the size will come down to the size of a blood cell.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-24-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology