Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

A very good friend of mine sent me this info about our U.S. Navy's newest high speed attack ship called Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) and they can go to speeds of 44 knots (51 mph) as they will be used primarly to hunt down and kill the pirate boats that are attacking commercial shipping off the coast of Africa.

The Littoral Combat Ship | LCS

Go Navy !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
I like the sleak and stealthy design, combined with lethal weaponry.; along with the mission module concept for a changing world and/or enemy. Here are some additional links.....
Littoral combat ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:080428-N-3625R-002.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) < U.S. Navy in the Yahoo! Directory

YouTube - General Dynamics - Independence Littoral Combat Ship 2 (LCS 2) [480p]

YouTube - Littoral-Combat-Ship-Sea-Trials

YouTube - USS Independence (LCS 2) underway for builder's trials PITTS.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
WOW!! Is that ever a different kinda "boat".

It's so unlike anything I've ever seen (and my Dad was 20yr Navy) that even that single deck gun looks outta place!

I'd bet John Paul Jones would freak out at the sight of this "boat"!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
WOW!! Is that ever a different kinda "boat".

It's so unlike anything I've ever seen (and my Dad was 20yr Navy) that even that single deck gun looks outta place!

I'd bet John Paul Jones would freak out at the sight of this "boat"!
Heck i trip out seeing the constant advances as i was in the Navy during the 80's as i'm stoked to see how advanced it's become since Prez Reagan along with Sec of Defense Weinberger along with Sec of the Navy Lehman first started the 600 ship armada in 1981 .

http://en.wikipedia.org/The 600 Ship_Navy

Go Navy !!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
These have been in development for quite a while already.
They are really sleek ships and they look like they'd be fun to be on- give those pirates what-for!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Heck i trip out seeing the constant advances as i was in the Navy during the 80's as i'm stoked to see how advanced it's become since Prez Reagan along with Sec of Defense Weinberger along with Sec of the Navy Lehman first started the 600 ship armada in 1981
Yep President Reagan kept my mighty busy during the 80's. I worked for the Navy (civilian) installing test instrumentation for sea trails of new and modified classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
... It's so unlike anything I've ever seen (and my Dad was 20yr Navy) that even that single deck gun looks outta place!
I was talking to an officer on a Spruance DDG-963 class destroyer and noted the difference between WWII destroyers which bristled with gun turrets and this new ship which only had two 5" guns. He said "Yes there's a difference. These new ones don't miss." Automated and computer controlled, they load and move extremely fast.

(image is public domain) USS Yorktown (CG 48) fires its 5 inch gun at a target drone during a gun exercise.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
It does look like a fun ship to be on, but since I know that an aircraft carrier can at least go that fast I bet this thing is a rocket in the water!

(I know they won't ever publish the actual top speed for security reasons)

Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Yep President Reagan kept my mighty busy during the 80's. I worked for the Navy (civilian) installing test instrumentation for sea trails of new and modified classes.

I was talking to an officer on a Spruance DDG-963 class destroyer and noted the difference between WWII destroyers which bristled with gun turrets and this new ship which only had two 5" guns. He said "Yes there's a difference. These new ones don't miss." Automated and computer controlled, they load and move extremely fast.

(image is public domain) USS Yorktown (CG 48) fires its 5 inch gun at a target drone during a gun exercise.
Talk about a difference of a couple of years can make as when i first joined in 1981 most of the surface ships were the Steam Turbine propulsion systems although most subs were Nuke and i believe so were most Carriers and by the mid 80's they had been mostly converted to the modern Gas Turbines.

A shipmate friend of mine who was a Machinist Mate gave me a tour of one of the engine rooms (i was in navigation) and so i asked him why there were so many brooms all over the engine room and he said it was because the PSI in the steam lines is highly pressurised and if a pin hole leak were to ever occur it would cut in half what went across it including steel and so they would use the broom handles to sweep the steam line to determine where the leak was as you couldn't see it but you would hear a high pitch whine in the general area in which they could then isolate it and make repairs once they shut the steam off feeding that line. He said it would cut a person in half if you walked across it if the leak was at waist level.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Here's a link on how modern high pressure jet cutters work; I can imagine the pressure and steam/heat combination could prove quite lethal to anyone in it's path.
Water jet cutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - KMT Waterjet Systems; Water Jet Cutting Applications

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM

I should have stated that they had never had any high pressurised ruptured steam lines back then but that they were trained in case it ever did happen. I imagine it was a worry during WWII when ships were getting hit with torpredos and bombs and even undirect hits could have had enough concussion to rupture the lines back then.

Back to the high speed ships as i remember back then reading on 'Navy Times' about the hydroplane boats/ships that were supposed to come out in the 1990's that were supposed to also be super fast but i wonder what ever became of the program to develope them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology