Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,951 times

Advertisements

DH is flying to Seattle for an interview this week, and we're trying to determine if relocation to Seattle would be the right choice for our family. We currently live in the Houston area (so MUCH lower cost of living), and neither of us have ever been to Seattle. I'm a SAHM to 2 girls ages 4 and 1. I'm trying to get an idea of budget and life style changes if we were to relocate. We're considered rather liberal for where we live, but I imagine there we'd seem more moderate (a very welcome change). We're also a pretty "crunchy" family, at least by Houston standards. The more green and liberal minded community would be a wonderful change for us.

We have a list of location ideals, but I'm not sure if such a place exists, or how expensive it would be to live there.

We would ideally like to rent a house meeting these qualification. Where would you look?

-with 3+bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms, 2000+sqft and a yard
-allows our 3 indoor cats
-in a neighborhood with other families with children
-where DH could commute to South Lake Union in under 30 minutes (his commute is currently 60-90 minutes each way, via park and ride or driving)
-where DH could use public transportation for his commute
-where we could feel safe walking our neighborhood after dark
-where we could own only one car
-in a somewhat family geared area with nice parks, libraries, kid activities, etc
-with nearby homeschooling, charter school, and/or alternative schooling options
-in a good public school district
-somewhat near a Unitarian Universalist church
-with easily accessible health and farm fresh food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I'd suggest the Magnolia, Ballard or Greenlake areas of Seattle. You didn't mention budget, what you are looking for in these areas is going to be about
$2,500-$3,000/month rent. Ballard has a great farmer's market.

There are plenty of options on the eastside but not with a 30 minute commute (that really doesn't exist here any more) and the rent would be about the same. To get the rent below $2,000 would mean at least an hour commute, and losing some of the other requirements you have.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Thank you bisjoe. That's just the sort of information I'm looking for. We have the option of staying in the Houston area, which would likely be the better financial picture. We're trying to determine what sort of offer he would need for us to live in an area like I described. If he'd have to do a longer commute for housing we could afford, we're unlikely to relocate.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Going the other way is a lot easier for the same salary.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 AM

282 posts, read 806,828 times
I would really suggest a visit here before you move. I'd also highly recommend that you do your homework before coming here.

Without knowing your background and what you're used to, Seattle will likely be a big change from Houston.

A few key points to keep in mind:

- Can you handle dark, gloomy, and wet weather? At least 2/3ds of each year will be like this. Don't visit in the summer, visit in the winter so you really understand. In the summer it's heaven on earth.

- Seattle will be much more liberal than Houston on a wide array of issues. However, most people don't wear their politics on their shirt from what I've noticed as well. You will also not find the same amount of religious penetration as you're likely use to in Houston.

- Cost of living (as you said). Make sure that the pay increase covers your real expense, especially if you want to buy a home (owning is much more expensive than renting here). Property taxes are also high here.

- On the positive side, I do think Seattle is a much more beautiful part of the country than Houston. The hard part is that it's hard to see a lot of with with the fog/rain/gloom.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 AM

166 posts, read 442,971 times
At this moment buying is actually cheaper then renting because no one is buying, so rent has gone up. When that changes I don't know, but coming up with down payment and finding a bank to give you a loan is a headache in itself. Trying to find a landlord that will take 3 cats without costing an arm and a leg is also a headache.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. We did not set out this job search planning to relocate, but an opportunity in Seattle came along, and we're seeing where it goes. If he gets an offer, we'll do a quick trip there as a family before accepting it. I'm trying to do my homework now to figure out what sort of offer would be worth considering at all.

I am concerned about the gloomy weather. However, the not wearing their politics on their shirts and less religious penetration would be an amazingly welcome change for our family. We often feel very isolated, and sometimes almost threatened, by the mindset here.

DH and I both grew up in the Baton Rouge area, and spend a school year in North Carolina. We've been in the Houston area for almost 8 years now. No doubt about it, the climate and geography of Seattle would be a HUGE change for us. We'd also be moving completely across the country from all of our family, who are still in the Louisiana area.

We own a house here, which we'd sell if we relocated. The houses here are MUCH cheaper. Our 15 year old 2000sqft 3bed 2.5 bath house in good shape in a nice area is worth under $200K. Even if we wanted to move there and buy a house right away, I can't imagine we could come up with a reasonable down payment right away on a house we'd want to buy there. We'd definitely be renting for at least a year, likely longer.

We're far from settled on accepting an offer if he does get one.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Definitely different home prices, more than double that much for the same house here. Do not come visit in July or August, you will stay for sure, and that weather only lasts 2 months.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM

82 posts, read 142,964 times
I think you could find an ok house in one of the north seattle neighborhoods (green lake, ballard, phinney) for 2k no problem. I've been perusing craigslist for similar houses lately and they're out there. Keep in mind they are the "rental type" houses and often not quite as nice as one you would buy, but still just fine.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Two of your needs may conflict - 30 minute public transportation commute to South Lake Union and good public schools. The better public school districts are outside of Seattle ... which would make it difficult to use public transportation to SLU in under 30 minutes (more like a minimum of one hour each way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area