Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,443 times

Advertisements

Moving to Seattle with 3 cats. They all go in and out. Looking for a neighborhood as close to Seattle University (border of Downtown and Capitol Hill) as possible, but more important that my cats can go outside--aka looking for a quiet, low traffic neighborhood where other cats also live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Many neighborhoods do have possums, raccoons and coyotes. They may be more a menace to your cats than cars

Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Many neighborhoods do have possums, raccoons and coyotes. They may be more a menace to your cats than cars
Not to mention bobcats and bears. I have seen a large coyote in Magnolia, and there have been coyote sightings all over Seattle. Probably not as many as the eastside, but I wouldn't suggest an outdoor cat anywhere in the state. Maybe time to make it an indoor cat?

Seattle does not have any traffic-free streets, either.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
If you have cats, don't move in my neighborhood on Capital Hill. I have a koi pond in my backyard that's attracting ALL of the damn cats on the hill. There should be a 'cat leash law' for cris sakes, just like there is for dogs. Me thinks I detect animal discrimination.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM

42 posts, read 146,572 times
It's easier to turn outdoor cats into indoor cats when you change their environment. My cats used to go outside. But when we moved I didn't let them out at all because I was sick of them getting all dirty and having to buy the expensive flea medication. They've been indoor cats for 10 months now and they are just as happy as they were before. They don't EVER beg to go outside anymore. My boyfriend's mom did the same thing, and her cat was outside 24/7. It's like they totally forget they were outdoor cats when you move them into a different house.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,443 times
Wow! I am surprised no one has anything positive to say about outdoor cats in Seattle. I have a few friends who live there and let their cats in and out with no problems. I am just new and don't know the different neighborhoods or what they are known for.

Making my cats indoor is not an option for me... we've tried. They need to be able to go outside. I'll just have to keep looking!

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahen View Post
Wow! I am surprised no one has anything positive to say about outdoor cats in Seattle. I have a few friends who live there and let their cats in and out with no problems.
No problems for them or their cats, perhaps. But as a dog owner who faithfully picks up after my dog all the time, I get a little disgusted when she snarfs up a cat turd before I know what she's doing, and paying the resulting $250 vet bill when she then proceeds to get sick and needs sub-Q fluids to undo the dehydration. And even though I'm an entomologist and pretty hard to gross out, I really dislike digging in my garden and finding a cat turd infested with wriggling maggots. If I let my dog poop all over the place I could be given a ticket if I were caught not cleaning up after him, but cats do it in people's yards all the time and their owners are somehow not responsible. Then there's the bird feeder that attracted cats to the birds who ate the seeds that spilled on the ground, and after cleaning up several bird carcasses, I took the feeder down.

I have a cat myself - but she stays inside.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM

42 posts, read 146,572 times
When you tried to make them indoor cats were you in the same house? Because yeah, if you don't change their home environment it is very difficult to make outdoor cats into indoor cats. I just thought I would put that option out there.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahen View Post
Wow! I am surprised no one has anything positive to say about outdoor cats in Seattle. I have a few friends who live there and let their cats in and out with no problems. I am just new and don't know the different neighborhoods or what they are known for.

Making my cats indoor is not an option for me... we've tried. They need to be able to go outside. I'll just have to keep looking!

Thanks for the feedback!
Cats are known for disappearing, especially in the foothills area where they are killed and eaten by larger predators. Just being realistic. There are predators in the city, as well. Sear Seattle U there are fewer natural predators and more manmade ones (cars).

Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,819 times
From experience, outdoor cats do not live long in WA. Coyotes get them, even in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area