Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times

Advertisements

Could someone please help me find a good Mexican restaurant in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I have tried about 20 places using various sites/recommendations of locals since I moved here and they have all been disappointing. The only decent place I have found was down in Centralia (and that is too far to travel for dinner!). I'm used to the type of Mexican food they have in Colorado and am wondering if that just isn't available in this area. Suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Tacqueria El Estacion in Burien is quite good. Muy Macho in South Park is quite good. And The Del Rio in White Center is good. These are all in places with fairly substantial Mexican populations and aren't catering to American tastes. Within Seattle and Bellevue? Senor Moose in Ballard is pretty good. And the small chain called El Rinconsito is pretty good.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM

84 posts, read 245,811 times
This should give you a start.

Go to Mamas. I moved here from Socal, so I know what I'm talking about. I know good Mexican food. I'm also half Mexican. Check it out. Mama's Mexican Kitchen

Also, this new place Poquitos in Capitol Hill was really impressive. VivaPoquitos

If you've tried 20 places with no luck then I'm assuming you either live in a rural part of WA or you are really picky, because downtown/capitol hill/queen anne have a lot of great Mexican places. Colorado has horrible Mexican food by the way. Nothing like AZ or CA. Maybe you are used to more of a Tex Mex or Sonoran style food?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 AM

259 posts, read 554,255 times
ok, I have to ask... is the Mexican food in Colorada like it is in Mexico or is it more TexMex?

The best Carne Asada I've had in the area is @ El Paraiso Mexi Grill :: Mexican cuisine

As far as most authentic there is a food truck El Ray Taco Truck - Tulalip, WA that we love as well.

These may be to far north for you though. But if you are in the area, stop by and see what you think! Going farther north Mt. Vernon has a large mexican community and some good mexican food as well.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM

84 posts, read 245,811 times
^ all of those places are not in Seattle by the way.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I'll second Ira's recommendation of Muy Macho in South Park and the El Rinconsito chain. Also, the taco bus on Rainier (a bit south of Mt. Baker) is good. My favorite is the taco truck at the corner of Rainier and Graham in a gas station parking lot (yes, you'll have to venture into the 'hood') - run by a young family; like eating at their home.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I would guess that I am used to a less than authentic style of Mexican food, Deckard. I know that what they have in Colorado is the same as what I have had many times in southern California but very different than that found in New Mexico (although that was good). I haven't spent enough time in Arizona to tell you how that compares.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
You said you wanted like the Mexican food in Colorado, and Deckard states that " Colorado has horrible Mexican food, by the way".
So, Deckard is probably not guiding you to the type of Mexican food you are looking for, he's telling you that you prefer Mexican food that is horrible, and that he knows better.
I've never eaten Mexican food in Colorado, but have eaten at La Tarasca in Centralia. The places I mentioned are closer to La Tarasca in style than a place like Mama's. I'm not Mexican, but enjoy Mexican food very much, especially in places full of Mexicans. Mexican places full of tall blond customers named Sven might be the places to avoid.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I don't know how the Mexican food is in Colorado... but I know of a popular Mexican place in Newcastle that maybe you might like? Its called Tapatio's and I personally have yet to be disappointed.

Tapatio Mexican Grill | Family Mexican Restaurant Bellevue, Seattle, Renton, Newcastle WA

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

195 posts, read 377,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Could someone please help me find a good Mexican restaurant in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I have tried about 20 places using various sites/recommendations of locals since I moved here and they have all been disappointing. The only decent place I have found was down in Centralia (and that is too far to travel for dinner!). I'm used to the type of Mexican food they have in Colorado and am wondering if that just isn't available in this area. Suggestions anyone?
I haven't been yet, but a friend highly recommended "OOba's"
She recommended the one in Woodinville, but they also seem to have a location in Bellevue
Ooba Tooba Mex Grill - Bellevue, WA

Like i said, we haven't checked it yet but it came very highly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area