Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
i lived in seattle for 3 years, and it was the absolute safest place i've ever lived, bar none. people will say there are areas that are so bad, but they really have no idea how good even the bad areas are.
i lived in tampa, fl - 2 blocks from our apartment some gangster shot a cop and the helicopters were chasing him, and they were warning people to stay in their houses until he was caught.
i also lived in watsonville, ca -2 hrs south of SF -- a teenager got stabbed by some gangsters directly outside my condo. our downstairs neighbor who was a nurse had to keep pressure on his wound til the police came.

nothing ever happened near us in seattle. nor to any of the family we have that have been there for 20+ years.
MOST of the west coast is pretty darn safe when compared to other areas of the country. I lived in Seattle for over 30 years, you can be lulled into thinking nasty stuff does not happen there, trust me....it does:

Seattle police officer killed; search on for shooter | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

A Seattle police officer was shot to death and another officer was wounded late Saturday night as they were sitting inside their patrol car in the city's Central District neighborhood.
The officer who died was a veteran of the department, and the woman who was wounded is a student officer in training, Assistant Police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
hell yes there are ghetto parts. I laugh at whoever thinks there is none in Seattle.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
hell yes there are ghetto parts. I laugh at whoever thinks there is none in Seattle.

What a typical American think of a ghetto... no we really don't have that. Go to St. Louis, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Boston... and come back and tell us that Seattle has it. It doesn't.

What we have are run-down neighborhoods filled with some poor people; where the Seattleites have the notion of it being completely full of (more than average) crime-- but a lot of times, statistics doesn't bear that out.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM

SOUTHEND- Seattle, WA | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/northwestgangs/5603686290/ - broken link)

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

84 posts, read 229,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
MOST of the west coast is pretty darn safe when compared to other areas of the country. I lived in Seattle for over 30 years, you can be lulled into thinking nasty stuff does not happen there, trust me....it does:

Seattle police officer killed; search on for shooter | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

A Seattle police officer was shot to death and another officer was wounded late Saturday night as they were sitting inside their patrol car in the city's Central District neighborhood.
The officer who died was a veteran of the department, and the woman who was wounded is a student officer in training, Assistant Police
of course bad things can happen anywhere, i'm just saying they're less likely to happen in seattle.
where i lived in CA all the kids at the local schools had to wear either black, white or gray so that nobody was wearing gang colors.
there are places where occasionally bad things happen, and then there are places where bad things are a lot more likely to happen.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
I think most people think a bad neighborhood is one that is not predominately white ... very sad. And, be aware the referenced police shooting in the CD occurred two years ago. I agree with those who say the 'ghetto' parts of Seattle pale in comparison of ghettoes in other large cities.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
SOUTHEND- Seattle, WA | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/northwestgangs/5603686290/ - broken link)
Oh, I'm convinced now. The Southend of Seattle must be an awful ghetto, for there is a photograph of some young black men.
If I posted a photograph of some of the million dollar homes in the southend, or some yuppies jogging in Seward Park(southend), or sipping lattes in Columbia City(southend), would you be convinced that the southend is not a ghetto?
I come from New Jersey originally. There there are cities that are full of abandoned houses and abandoned factories, places that are known for violent crimes, and where this scene continues for block after block after block. That doesn't exist in Seattle. Sure, there are gangs here. There is crime here. There are parts of several neighborhoods that are pretty run down and more crime ridden. The big difference is that here, if you walk a few blocks, it's suddenly pretty clean, respectable, and safe. Yes, even Rainier Beach, Skyway, White Center, and South Park have nice parts.
Go to a place like Camden, New Jersey, and your feet are going to get awfully tired before you find a nice part.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I lived and worked in Oakland for many years, and now work in Seattle and live on the eastside. There is nothing even close to the ghettos of Oakland
here. Yes, there are a few places where you wouldn't like to hang out at night, but I'd compare them to the better parts of Richmond or the worst parts of San Leandro or Hayward. No comparison to Oakland. I never felt that uncomfortable in San Francisco except in the old days in the Hunters Point area. Not having been around there much since 1992 I suppose it may have gotten worse but still can't be as bad as Oakland. Shootings in Seattle are actually pretty rare which is why they get a lot of publicity. Less than 10 murders in 2010, compared to Oakland at over 60 and that's after a significant decrease from previous years.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I lived and worked in Oakland for many years, and now work in Seattle and live on the eastside. There is nothing even close to the ghettos of Oakland
here. Yes, there are a few places where you wouldn't like to hang out at night, but I'd compare them to the better parts of Richmond or the worst parts of San Leandro or Hayward. No comparison to Oakland. I never felt that uncomfortable in San Francisco except in the old days in the Hunters Point area. Not having been around there much since 1992 I suppose it may have gotten worse but still can't be as bad as Oakland. Shootings in Seattle are actually pretty rare which is why they get a lot of publicity. Less than 10 murders in 2010, compared to Oakland at over 60 and that's after a significant decrease from previous years.

lol, cuz you live on the eastside.

and shootings are rare? seriously????

Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Oh, I'm convinced now. The Southend of Seattle must be an awful ghetto, for there is a photograph of some young black men.
If I posted a photograph of some of the million dollar homes in the southend, or some yuppies jogging in Seward Park(southend), or sipping lattes in Columbia City(southend), would you be convinced that the southend is not a ghetto?
I come from New Jersey originally. There there are cities that are full of abandoned houses and abandoned factories, places that are known for violent crimes, and where this scene continues for block after block after block. That doesn't exist in Seattle. Sure, there are gangs here. There is crime here. There are parts of several neighborhoods that are pretty run down and more crime ridden. The big difference is that here, if you walk a few blocks, it's suddenly pretty clean, respectable, and safe. Yes, even Rainier Beach, Skyway, White Center, and South Park have nice parts.
Go to a place like Camden, New Jersey, and your feet are going to get awfully tired before you find a nice part.

looking back, I shouldn't have used that particular link because some people such as yourself might associate ghetto with black people.

Go to the main album and it shows you all areas that are heavily influenced by gangs....and they are not all black but they are all trashy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area