Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

278 posts, read 636,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Um, I don't want to get eye****ed on the way to the grocery store.
Yeah of course! Who in their right mind would want to share a flirty, silent and harmless moment with someone you'll never see again in a non disrespectful way. Which is exactly the weird mentality many other seattleites have: don't look at. Don't talk to me and don't act like exist.

Believe it or not it feels good to make eye contact with a member of the opposite sex (or same sex if you go that way) and share a smile. Sorry if you haven't experienced it or take it as some sexist insult.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
I just need paper towels and milk, not a one night stand.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM
K8K

6 posts, read 9,941 times
Default Ewww

I am so confused and a bit creeped out.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Yeah cause that's exactly what it entails... Youre proving the Seattle stereotype with your responses. "don't bother me". That's such a sterile and frigid mentality.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8K View Post
I am so confused and a bit creeped out.
Not sure why you're confused or creeped out. Are you tellin me that you've never made eye contact with a guy you thought was cute and gave him a smile? Or anything of that nature? If not dunno what to tell you except that it's a fairly common occurrence in places other than Seattle where people make eye contact because they're interested in the people that surround them and don't ignore their existence. And for some reason you two are focusing solely on the flirtatious eye contact I mentioned. I'm the one confused by you.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Sterile and frigid? That's pretty harsh. I just wanted some toast for breakfast.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Lol you refuse to engage in actual discussion and instead your pattern of posting on most threads is of self satisfying one liners. I'm more interested in why you feel the way you do than your tales of made up grocery store visits. Your age, culture and personality have a lot to do with your mentality. Not your objective when you leave your home. People are capable of focusing heir mind on multiple things other than their mission to get food at the store.

Also I'm not calling you frigid and sterile but the rather the mentality of "leave me alone". If you DO constantly have that mentality then yes, that's what I think you are.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM

82 posts, read 142,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
You nothing about me my dear lady. I count my blessings every day.
Interesting that posts on an info board set you off.
I told the truth about Seattle.
I was neither being harsh nor kissing up. Eight years is long to know.
The Seattle Chamber of Commerce has their own website - go there if you only want positive, filtered information.

Not a lady Chuck. And it sounds like you're the one set off about Seattle. Maybe just leave Seattle in the past eh? Too bad you're still hung up on it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Lol you refuse to engage in actual discussion and instead your pattern of posting on most threads is of self satisfying one liners. I'm more interested in why you feel the way you do than your tales of made up grocery store visits. Your age, culture and personality have a lot to do with your mentality. Not your objective when you leave your home. People are capable of focusing heir mind on multiple things other than their mission to get food at the store.

Also I'm not calling you frigid and sterile but the rather the mentality of "leave me alone". If you DO constantly have that mentality then yes, that's what I think you are.
No, I'm just introverted. And I'm sick of people confusing this trait with being cold, mean inhuman, frigid, sterile, rude, aloof and autistic.

As for the lack of eye contact, I picked that up living in DC while traveling alone as a single female on the subway every night. I find it serves me well in Seattle when waiting for the bus in the International district, dodging panhandlers in Pioneer Square, walking past LaRouche Idiots(tm) in Pike Place and avoiding the leers of drunken frat boys in Belltown. But I say hi to my neighbors and I'll say hello if I pass you while hiking on Rattlesnake Ledge.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 08-01-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
No, I'm just introverted. And I'm sick of people confusing this trait with being cold, mean inhuman, frigid, sterile, rude, aloof and autistic.

As for the lack of eye contact, I picked that up living in DC while traveling alone as a single female on the subway every night. I find it serves me well in Seattle when waiting for the bus in the International district, dodging panhandlers in Pioneer Square, walking past LaRouche Idiots(tm) in Pike Place and avoiding the leers of drunken frat boys in Belltown. But I say hi to my neighbors and I'll say hello if I pass you while hiking on Rattlesnake Ledge.
As a male who's lived in some pretty tough areas, I've figured out that making eye contact is a good thing to do in many situations because it shows that you're aware of your surroundings. Shuffling past people looking down as you go is much more apt to send a message that you can be messed with than walking with your head up high and making eye contact with people in a benign, unthreatening way.

Can't blame you on the panhandlers, LaRouche tools, and drunken frat boys, though. It's not like you have to make eye contact with everyone you walk by, but it's kind of nice to do it with people who, like you, are generally normal and agreeable folks.

Again, I actually did make eye contact and exchange a brief greeting quite frequently in Seattle. Maybe it was my shoes? Maybe it was my hair? The main difference in this regard that I found in Seattle was that there were way more people in Seattle who would look at you but then look away, seemingly terrified, if your gaze caught theirs than elsewhere (most people down here will just smile politely back if this happens), and a large number who visibly avoid eye contact and seem unnerved by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area