Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
So, being a native of Southern CA, I took a fair number of trips down to Tijuana. Everyone in SoCal knows if you're going to TJ, you park on the US side of the border, and walk over, catching public transportation in Mexico.
Three ways to go that I can think of from Seattle:

Train: I have not done this, but plan to mid-summer for an event. Station isn't terribly far from downtown Vancouver, and cost is modest from Seattle. Ups include not having to deal with vehicles. Still customs, of course. Obvious down is mobility options to points in Vancouver. Still, I'll try it once and see how it goes.

Drive: face Blaine border xing, or Sumas to the east. American guards are surly but then again so am I, so it works out OK. Lines can be nasty if caught at the wrong time. There used to be a rash of break-ins to cars in Vancouver, dunno where that is these days. I never had trouble in maybe five trips past ten years, but anecdotally I can point to friends who have (specific instances). I wouldn't leave a car parked outside for any long period of time, by-reputation, nor leave valuables in it, but that goes for most to all big cities. Seattle included.

Fly: airport security and customs, same surly bastages on both sides of the border. Same distance limits as train, though the airport is quite a bit further out and shuttle to downtown is necessary (extra money). I've done it twice and seems about equal bother to driving, from Seattle, in terms of time and money. No point doing this from Seattle, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM

307 posts, read 560,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
So, being a native of Southern CA, I took a fair number of trips down to Tijuana. Everyone in SoCal knows if you're going to TJ, you park on the US side of the border, and walk over, catching public transportation in Mexico. I believe this is because the rate of car theft is really high, and the corruption of the police is legendary.

I'm just wondering if there's any concerns with driving into Vancouver (not the police corruption, but the risk of a car being stolen).

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I want to go up and visit Canada after I get our passports.

Thanks!

V. =)
I concur with comments from others about driving in Vancouver, BC. I live in Blaine...right at the border with Canada. Canada is even safer than the U.S. when it comes to driving and parking your car...or for anything else, for that matter. I've been to TJ also...no comparison at all to Vancouver, BC. Don't assume that just because it is a "foreign country" that it's bad. I have taken my car on assignments to Japan, Korea, Germany, The Netherlands...and driven all over Europe...even in Paris...never even given a thought that my car might be stolen. I would be more afraid to park my car in Seattle..or Los Angeles! Have no fear...you're safe in Vancouver. Come on over and just enjoy the trip. If you take I-5 from southern CA head north, all the way until it ends...you're in Canada. Stop by Blaine at the Tourist Information Office and pick up some excellent brochures on Canada. They're free. Canada is just a couple of minutes from that office.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM

68 posts, read 217,326 times
As long as you don't leave valuables visible or park your car in the downtown eastside. It will be fine. Vancouver does have a high car theft rate, but thats because of people acting stupid like leaving their cars unlocked or parking in a bad area.
The problem is finding parking. That is why people decide to park in the downtown eastside. Don't risk it. You may save a few bucks for not paying for parking, but its not worth it. If you don't mind spending about $8 you can get full day parking. Or if you are lucky, get free parking in the west end. I think it is 2 or 3 hour max though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area