Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I totally get you with the weight thing. I started working out and watching what I ate in August. I was consitently losing 2-3 pounds a week right up until Novemeber. In Novemember I only lost 7 lbs, and since then its been a battle. Then this week back to 2 lbs down without an increase in effort or a change in diet. There were weeks where the scale would not move even thought I was counting calories and working out. I don't think I lost a single pound in February.

But yay, back on the up swing. And it sounds like you've made up your mind, just need to nudge.
I've lost 65 lbs since January 2012. I've found that I have some lulls where I don't lose anything for 2 weeks-1 month, and then it starts going down again. Just reset and refocus, and it should start up again (I fall off the wagon occasionally ).

OP, we've been snowed on in Denver all week. People from around the country laugh at us because we get snow this late. It was in the low teens a few nights ago, overcast and snowy during the day. It ain't all roses and sunshine, so be prepared to love snow 8 months a year, because, ahem, there are 8 in which it can fall (the rest of the time it's sun, T-storms, or tornado warnings, AKA summer ).

Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
OP, COnsider Colorado Springs, (Much better QoL than Denver, and excellent access to recreation)
Also ABQ/SF, NM, and SLC, UT area.

Your symtoms are pretty accurate for some fomr of Clinical Depression.
30+ yrs in PNW I haven't felt any 'better' about living in the drizzle. (I came from Colorado, never had issues there TMK, but AGE... is a problem with accentuating your minor health issues.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
I moved here 25 years ago from a desert city. The first winter (i.e. November through June) I moped around the house. For the next 20 years I almost enjoyed the clouds. The last few years are approaching intolerable. Like someone said above, the saving grace is my plan to move. It's not just the overcast and gray, it's the cold too. I'd rather have 30F and sunny than 40F and overcast. We spend $400+ per person to fly to somewhere with better weather during a week's vacation. Last "summer" we drove all the way to Eugene OR before the overcast finally gave way.

The Seattle area is excellent, worth spending a decade or more here. If you're thinking of moving here, just know that one day you might have to leave to stay sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your symtoms are pretty accurate for some fomr of Clinical Depression.
My symptoms match, and while it may by definition be depression, it's definitely caused by the overcast and cold. When I move to a sunny warm spot the symptoms vanish.

Last edited by Jalhop; 04-19-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 PM

257 posts, read 608,812 times
My symptoms seem to vanish with sun. Doesn't matter if it's cold. I was in the mountains xcountry skiing and snowshoeing plus for the sun, felt fantastic after.

@David Aguilar, I'm an endurance athlete, don't normally have any weight issues, not really an issue with focus, SAD does something with melatonin/seratonin etc levels to where you CAN'T focus, and finally don't care.

No, I don't think it would be rosey, that's why I chose Seattle over Denver. I had a friend in Boulder who talked about the snow last week, said it melted in two days because it was 60 and sunny in the afternoon. But I also moved from the Midwest, extremely cold - colder than Denver, and I also grew up just southeast of Lake Michigan and so 1-3 feet of snow wasn't uncommon, and it wouldn't melt until spring, then in the summer, HOT as Denver but HUMID, with not much cooling off at night. Yes, I was hoping to get away from living in the snow, but I do love snowsports, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, in college I used my cross country skis or snowshoes to get to class sometimes. I don't mind snow that much if there is enough to do snowsports in, in Cincinnati there was just enough to get in the way but not enough to do anything with it but slip and fall.

I'm still considering N. California (again) as well, or seeing if I could work it out to do "something" to help me stay here. I really don't know, the good part of this whole situation is I CAN move, I don't have kids or a relationship or a job holding me back. I am just tired of thinking of moving - again - because I was really looking forward to starting my life!

Heck, maybe I should move somewhere internationally, LOL.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
I'm still considering N. California (again) as well, or seeing if I could work it out to do "something" to help me stay here. I really don't know, the good part of this whole situation is I CAN move, I don't have kids or a relationship or a job holding me back. I am just tired of thinking of moving - again - because I was really looking forward to starting my life!

You don't need a visa for N. California.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 AM

51 posts, read 77,145 times
I've lived in Seattle for 5.5 years now, and I just accepted a job in San Diego. I'm telecommuting and traveling (as needed) from here until the end of June when I'll move the family down. Over the last 3 weeks, I've been traveling to SD, Burbank and Oakland, and I can tell you that the sunnier/warmer weather makes a HUGE difference. My wife and I decided after 5 years that we couldn't take the weather here any more because it's so depressing. It's the darkness, the cold, the gloom and the drizzle/rain. I'm an outdoors type of guy who likes to go hiking, biking, golfing, walking, etc, and I just can't do that here without wearing a frickin' slicker. Plus, my 2 young boys don't feel like playing outside ever because of the weather. The weather here was bad when my kids were babies, but it's getting way worse as they get older because they're stuck inside. I love so many things about Seattle and it's so beautiful when it's sunny, but there's just not enough sunny days to make it worth it for us.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,862 times
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sorry to go off topic but I feel theres folks here who can commisserate. Right now it is snowing and sleeting and we already have some ground coverage of snow. As in April 20th, and it is taking turns snowing and hailing. Gray Gray gray blah, I'm ready to go insane.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
... I'd rather have 30F and sunny than 40F and overcast. We spend $400+ per person to fly to somewhere with better weather during a week's vacation. Last "summer" we drove all the way to Eugene OR before the overcast finally gave way.

The Seattle area is excellent, worth spending a decade or more here. If you're thinking of moving here, just know that one day you might have to leave to stay sane.

.. When I move to a sunny warm spot the symptoms vanish.
Consider other options for SUN. I have been jumping on Hobo Airline (Spirit) $28-$52 one way to SAN DIEGO from Portland. At least 10 x this winter. I take SWA to San Antonio or Austin for $89 when they run their sales.

Columbia Gorge is usually sunny and warm east of Hood River. Walla Walla / Blue Mtns is a nice road trip and break from rain. SO is Moscow, ID or Sandpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
My symptoms seem to vanish with sun. Doesn't matter if it's cold. I was in the mountains xcountry skiing and snowshoeing plus for the sun, felt fantastic after.

...why I chose Seattle over Denver. I had a friend in Boulder who talked about the snow last week, said it melted in two days because it was 60 and sunny in the afternoon. ....I was really looking forward to starting my life!

I would not do DEN, but Colorado Springs is nice. Boulder is a bit spendy. Those 60 -70F days in winter in Colorado are GREAT. I rode my bike everyday except 3 the last yr I lived in Colo.

Definitely consider an international destination.!!! (you will probably need to for affordable healthcare). Our family has lived in Asia and Europe, and I certainly hope my kids get jobs / education overseas at some point. They both love to travel and been to several countries this yr. I am in Singapore today, bit warm, but the food and parks are GREAT. Next week it will be Thailand, last week was China and Hong Kong.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debyne View Post
I've lived in Seattle for 5.5 years now, and I just accepted a job in San Diego. I'm telecommuting and traveling (as needed) from here until the end of June when I'll move the family down. Over the last 3 weeks, I've been traveling to SD, Burbank and Oakland, and I can tell you that the sunnier/warmer weather makes a HUGE difference. My wife and I decided after 5 years that we couldn't take the weather here any more because it's so depressing. It's the darkness, the cold, the gloom and the drizzle/rain. I'm an outdoors type of guy who likes to go hiking, biking, golfing, walking, etc, and I just can't do that here without wearing a frickin' slicker. Plus, my 2 young boys don't feel like playing outside ever because of the weather. The weather here was bad when my kids were babies, but it's getting way worse as they get older because they're stuck inside. I love so many things about Seattle and it's so beautiful when it's sunny, but there's just not enough sunny days to make it worth it for us.
Not to mention, OP, that the rain/overcast tends to grow moss in the lawn and on the roof, and can cause extra home maintenance issues, compared to some other parts of the country. If you were going to buy a home eventually.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-20-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Lots of people from the Upper Midwest move the Northwest, particularly Seattle region. MPLS gets a good deal more sunlight and daylight than Seattle in the Winter and it is a much lower latitude, relatively speaking, if you don't mind the colder weather. I've looked at position openings in the Seattle area in the past, but I don't do very well with several weeks of dark cloudy weather so I knew it wasn't going to be a good fit...
I much prefer snowy and cold conditions with a variety of clear and cloudy days so I'll stay in the Upper Midwest for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area