Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times

Advertisements

Why not be snowbirds and live in the Seattle area say May though Sept and somewhere warm the rest of the year? I'm only 43 at this point but that is what I plan to do very soon (I have a work from home job I can live anywhere). You can't beat the PNW from say May to Sept anywhere in my opinion with the hiking in the Cascades, Islands, Vancouver, cultural activities in Seattle, etc... Florida humidity is not that bad Dec-March. But I still personally am not crazy about Florida because it's a bit to generic, full of chains and cookie cutter feel. Key West is the only place that doesn't have that generic feel and is quirky and unique like I like.

I also like Tucson (Saguaro Nat. Park is one of the most beautiful deserts in the U.S.), Santa Fe (but probably too cold in winter), Hawaii. I like SE Asia too (Chiang Mai Thailand mostly) but it's kind of too far for me to operate my business. But many ex pats go there. Many ex pats go to Costa Rico (and increasingly Panama and Nicaragua too). I have heard some good things about Argentina, Uruguay, and Ecuador too.

For me the front runners for winter living are probably Arizona and Hawaii (international is just too tough for me to pull off). I could never, ever, ever live in Arizona 12 mos a year though. I would have to out of that place mid April at the latest as I can't stand the intense sun and heat. Also, the Seattle area is much prettier and has far more culture then Arizona, so I would anticipate my returns to the PNW come April. I would personally live in the PNW April though October. As I do not mind the springs up here as it gets warmer and the leaves and flowers come out, even though still overcast. It's just Nov-Feb that is the hardest to take up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
My cousin and a friend retired in Sedona. Sedona seems to be a popular place to retire these days. Most seem like warm dry climates, so they migrate to Arizona, New Mexico or even San Diego and Southern California.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM

260 posts, read 768,742 times
If you lived in Ashland, you would get the four seasons (summer being a bit warmer than here and winter a bit colder but not the harsh weather associated with the PNW or Arizona). You would be in the middle of both places and be able to take short vacations in both locals without having to buy two homes to maintain.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the San Diego area - very nice climate - not too hot in summer, very mild winters. That's where we will spend winter time (upon retirement).

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM

506 posts, read 958,614 times
Arizona sounds good. The warmer, dry weather would be a nice change from the NW grey skies and drizzle. On top of that it snows there too in the Tuscan region. If I had to relocate in the SW, it would be there. The SW would be a nice change of scenery from the NW.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
I like to hike so I like the winter hiking in Tucson. Saguaro National Park to me is the prettiest desert in the U.S. It's a very colorful desert and very alive. Great Mnt Biking there too. The town of Tucson itself is OK but not super attractive and has a lot of rougher run down, dingy looking areas. In terms of the Southwest I would take the city of Santa Fe in a heartbeat over Tucson. But the key months you would want to escape from Seattle (Nov-March) it would still be cold in Santa Fe (but very sunny). So Tucson over Santa Fe ONLY for the winter weather. Santa Fe has much more culture and overall more interesting place. Univ Arizona sports in Tucson would be a good thing for me as I would try to get season tickets to mens college basketball

San Diego is a pretty good option too.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It also depends on where the kids and grandkids are, hopefully we can stay within a couple of hours of them.
This is how I feel. Even though I have 4 kids, and there is no guarantee that they will end up living near each other, I'd love to retire near family. My children only have 1 set of grandparents and they live far away. I wouldn't be happy just seeing my grandkids 1-2x per year. I want to be a hands on grandparent. So I'm going wherever my kids are If they end up in different cities, then I guess I'll have to float between cities

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Lived in Albuquerque many years...so far remaining here...climate similar to Denver, more definite 4 (3 months each) seasons, not as cold in the winter, and definitely not as hot (or as long) as southern AZ. Most days are sunny and the mountains right out the back door give ample opportunity for hiking and winter snow activities. City usually gets only approx. 4" of snow at a time and it is gone within a week. My main dislikes are windy dusty days in the spring. However...we have relatives in the western WA area and were considering it for a retirement location. Also the auto traffic situation you would find less congested than the Sound area.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM

385 posts, read 1,113,228 times
A lot of people on my side of the country retire to the western North Carolina mountains--Asheville, Blowing Rock, Highlands.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I'm rather fond of Bisbee, Arizona. It doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer as Phoenix or Tucson since it's got a high elevation. It's beautiful, old, quirky, full of characters, and much more to the left politically than most parts of Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area