Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,863 times

Advertisements

Manly/tough-guy/douchey type of guys generally don't fare too well here. In fact (with the exception of maybe Belltown) you are going to be looked at like a complete freak acting like a meathead. I see very hot women with complete nerds here every single day. Seattle is definitely the type of city where the nerds are the cool ones and the "bros" are the outcasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
Women here are highly educated, so they are typically seeking the same. Or at least an avid reader. However, the intelligent male who ALSO has a beefcake physique and is able to fix things or build with his hands is a true rarity here. That man would have his pick of women. A loud, opinionated guy wearing a gold chain would not go over here like it does in Pittsburgh, for instance (I have no idea if you are that guy).

I'm not sure you would be interested in the women here. Have you tried the SE? There are a lot of very pretty women there who love strong men. Blue collar is much more appreciated, and translates to hard-working, rugged, and a man who can take care of his family. I would totally go for someone like you if I weren't married. But I grew up in the SE.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 10,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Manly/tough-guy/douchey type of guys generally don't fare too well here. In fact (with the exception of maybe Belltown) you are going to be looked at like a complete freak acting like a meathead. I see very hot women with complete nerds here every single day. Seattle is definitely the type of city where the nerds are the cool ones and the "bros" are the outcasts.

Whoa, whoa....whoa.

tough guy/douchey? Gee thanks.. I don't remember including those adjectives in my self-description but since you felt the need to lump it all together and hurl the stereotype my way, so be it. Spoken like a true nerdlinger hating on a "bro" for no good reason other than I am not cut of the same cloth.

And I wasn't aware that being masculine meant I was an automatic meathead. I have read books my entire life, and most likely have a larger vocabulary than most who would post against me in the Seattle forums.

But let me not continue to qualify myself to those who would otherwise detract and judge me outright based on a genuine question simply asking if the rough-and-tumble blue-collar type could get on well with the ladies out yonder as an exception to the rule.

Again, whoa. I come back in here and this is the kind of response I get? Maybe...just maybe, the brawny guy is being repelled because the nerds don't want him to swoop in and romance their women away from them..

As the lady says..brawny and -with- a thinking mind? Lookout. Double trouble.

I wasn't hating or was going to hate on nerds until they started hating on me in here. Okay nerds..fine. ROFL.

The funny part is, I can easily glean from the tone of this thread, that as a "bro" I have a far greater open-mindedness about who I would hang with, and who I wouldn't stereotype based on a few variables.

I've had countless geeky, nerdy aloof friends, and that's with me being the polar opposite. I can see those same folks in Seattle would never even condescend to -think- about having a friend like me. Okay. Good thing for me is, this thread wasn't about me making guy friends. It was about the ladieeeessss (muah!).

Lesson here? The nerdy ones are -not- always the ones who have the greater capacities or the greater minds. Now that's an erroneous stereotype if ever there was one(if ever a wiz there was!).

..There's something that cannot be taught in any book. It's something you learn from being open to all sorts of people, regardless if they seem utterly obtuse to your own disposition. It's called wisdom.

Thanks. I don't need or want any further responses to my querey after seeing this here. I'm good..got what I need.

Seattle, here I come.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Lol, excuse my typo. You have me wondering now, are Californians more obsessed with wealth than PNW folk? I know money is all that matters here. I'm just wondering if it's the same up north?
You will always have people who care only about money in any major city where there are flourishing industries and hence lots of well-off men to choose from. That's just the way it is. In the small Midwestern town where I came from, women don't care about a man's money as much because simply put, none of the men have money (mostly laborers and farmers). Everyone is working class in that town, whereas in Seattle there are varying levels of income and of course many people are aspiring for the top.

To the OP: it really depends on what type of woman you're looking for. I mean, I guess the logic would be like anywhere else in that you attract the same people as yourself? But I don't know what you are like and if there are that many women like you here. If all else fails, there are plenty of loser single moms in this city who are desperate for male attention and will settle for a fast food worker. I know a really ugly guy who is also partially disabled and walks with a limp, so he collects SSI and supplements the rest of his income with minimum wage part time. He has a really beautiful, bubbly cheerleader type girlfriend from Tacoma. At first, I couldn't understand this. Then I found out she has two kids, and it all made sense. Her stock obviously dropped, as far as eligible men are concerned, after the first kid.

On a side note, I've noticed too many people misuse the word "douchey" when they see a guy who is just physically fit and attractive. When I think douche, I think spiked hair, fake orange tan, tight Armani or Afflication t-shirt, with funny looking head poses in photos. But I've heard people refer to men who are simply cute Brad Pitt yuppie types as douchey, and I have the feeling it's out of jealousy.

Last edited by skidamarink; 05-20-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,863 times
Take it for what it worth, bro. You asked for a generalization and I gave it to you. Seattle city proper can be a pretty icy place for dating as compared to the East Coast and you may be in for a bit of a shocker as women/men here are GENERALLY the complete polar opposite socially than on the East Coast. There are definitely blue collar areas around the Puget Sound where women would go nuts over a brilliant alpha such as yourself. I would definitely look into those areas as opposed to Seattle city which is GENERALLY infested with artsy, hipster, super left type women who GENERALLY much prefer the same in a dude. But, if that is your type then you will be in heaven here. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Take it for what it worth, bro. You asked for a generalization and I gave it to you. Seattle city proper can be a pretty icy place for dating as compared to the East Coast and you may be in for a bit of a shocker as women/men here are GENERALLY the complete polar opposite socially than on the East Coast. There are definitely blue collar areas around the Puget Sound where women would go nuts over a brilliant alpha such as yourself. I would definitely look into those areas as opposed to Seattle city which is GENERALLY infested with artsy, hipster, super left type women who GENERALLY much prefer the same in a dude. But, if that is your type then you will be in heaven here. Good luck!

Fair enough. Thanks man.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
On a side note, I've noticed too many people misuse the word "douchey" when they see a guy who is just physically fit and attractive. When I think douche, I think spiked hair, fake orange tan, tight Armani or Afflication t-shirt, with funny looking head poses in photos. But I've heard people refer to men who are simply cute Brad Pitt yuppie types as douchey, and I have the feeling it's out of jealousy.

So true nowadays. The latter you described is the -actual- douchebag type a la' JZ Shore TV show.

Lately it seems, any guy who looks like he lifts heavy or puts a certain effort into his masculine appearance is dubbed a douche and that's just so not fair. People just love to hate and tear down. Makes them feel better about themselves and their own shortcomings I would guess.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Having lived in Portland Oregon previously....

I always felt that the men in the PNW were basically the way they were, because that's the way the women liked them.

A 'Manly Man'...is going to be perceived as a meathead type, who doesn't read books, watches too much sports, and leans on the sexist side. Generally, that will repel most PNW women.

Besides there are more than enough 'going hiking or kayaking' types or 'going to the gym' types who also read, stay informed, and everything else.

Do books on survivalist training, reloading ammo, hunting and tactical gear count?

P.S. I lived in Portland and the town has (or use to have) a lot more meatheads than Seattle.. Trust me..

I will say the meathead capitol of the West Coast probably goes to Boise. I am decently built, but I didn't feel muscular walking through downtown Boise at night. Those bouncers were some of beefiest I have ever seen. Boise is a total jock town and the girls are big into the plastic Southern California-look. Many look like they hadn't read a book in years..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Do books on survivalist training, reloading ammo, hunting and tactical gear count?

P.S. I lived in Portland and the town has (or use to have) a lot more meatheads than Seattle.. Trust me..

I will say the meathead capitol of the West Coast probably goes to Boise. I am decently built, but I didn't feel muscular walking through downtown Boise at night. Those bouncers were some of beefiest I have ever seen. Boise is a total jock town and the girls are big into the plastic Southern California-look. Many look like they hadn't read a book in years..
Caucasians in large northern coastal cities tend to be less physically attractive than the Caucasians in the Midwest or South. Physically fit and healthy, yes. But not much else. I don't know if Boise is a college town, but generally speaking any city that centers around a major state university with a good football team is going to perpetuate that kind of culture. The South is especially known for it's flashy and beautiful women, I don't know about the men. It's partially because of traditional gender lines that are hard-set in those areas. I tend to find the more educated the population, the less noticeably attractive people are. It really is a regional culture thing that influences how much effort people put in their appearance. Climate is obviously a factor as well.

Look at Macklemore. You know men in Seattle don't have much going on for them in the looks department if women here are calling THAT one hot.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,960 times
In Seattle proper and parts of the Eastside, I suppose you could say there are more nerdy and shy men. However, I would not say that about the Greater Seattle Metro. Tacoma, Everett and most places in between have plenty of overtly masculine, "macho" men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area