Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicomis View Post
I know right?? And if they actually won, who would you have to feel superior to? Look, I'm not saying that it doesn't sound strange to me (fast food workers striking), but here in the deep south (fla), people working fast food jobs, and other menial jobs, are asked to do more, and put up with more, than most of your corporate clones ever do, and do it for federal minimum wage, or barely over that, and work nights weekends, holidays, etc... You don't know where people come from, or what their circumstances are. I have a college degree, 2 of them in fact, but ever since 2008 housing market crash, I went from 96k a year, wife, kid, 3 cars, a boat, and a 2 story home in an Atlanta suburb,and a smug attitude like yours to 15k a year, single dad, renting a house in Tampa, working as a freelance wedding photographer, and a telemarketer. Don't begrudge people blessings, because you can get knocked down a few pegs pretty fast. I sure as heck did.
As did I. I have a friend who has had her MBA for 3 years now. She still works retail, not by her own choice.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
15.00 bucks an hour is an excellent...in Mississippi
Move to Mississippi then! If they can't afford to live here, why are they? Another item that doesn't make sense to me. Hey! I would love to live in Hollywood Hills, so maybe they should build a cheap apartment complex in the middle of a neighborhood so I can only pay $400 a month for rent (because thats all I want to pay and I DESERVE it!!)

Its funny, Im pretty sure I am the only person on here that was in the same shoes as these strikers just 6 years ago. So I think I would know how difficult the job is and how much the poor frontline workers have to deal with. Yes, feel so sorry for them because us corporate drones (PS, I don't work for a corporation) love to count all of our money (because you know, my beautiful white yacht is sitting outside in Medina where my 5.00 million dollar house is located).

Please.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I worked at McDonalds and I can tell you what type of people work there (PS most of them are drug fronts too).

Nope. Sorry. Try again. Your anecdotal evidence does not suffice. You are stereotyping and I'm going to call you out on it.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Have you ever worked at a McDonalds in the past 10 years? No? Okay, then you know much less than I do.

PS: here is your evidence http://www.wwltv.com/news/14-arreste...176630351.html

Im not saying everyone that works for fast food is a druggie, most of them are 16 year old kids just trying to make money to spend at the mall.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Move to Mississippi then! If they can't afford to live here, why are they? Another item that doesn't make sense to me. Hey! I would love to live in Hollywood Hills, so maybe they should build a cheap apartment complex in the middle of a neighborhood so I can only pay $400 a month for rent (because thats all I want to pay and I DESERVE it!!)
Oh man. The world must be a really simple place for you. Ok I'll ask this again, let's say every single person did as you suggest, went to college and got that education. Who would then work these types of jobs? When you, with your educated bad self, go on vacation, who's gonna serve you at the airport, on the plane. Who's gonna help with your bags to your room? Here's the good part, while your on vacation would you mind doing your own housekeeping? Certainly now that everyone is educated, they are all in good jobs so there is no housekeeping staff. Better not get hungry dude LOL!

Now, someone needs to do these types of jobs that make life easier for the rest of us. You are not royalty and they are not your servants! They deserve a living wage, one where they may not need so much tax payer help to survive in the form of food stamps. And once again, 15 bucks an hour is no where near a premium wage!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Oh man. The world must be a really simple place for you. Ok I'll ask this again, let's say every single person did as you suggest, went to college and got that education. Who would then work these types of jobs? When you, with your educated bad self, go on vacation, who's gonna serve you at the airport, on the plane. Who's gonna help with your bags to your room? Here's the good part, while your on vacation would you mind doing your own housekeeping? Certainly now that everyone is educated, they are all in good jobs so there is no housekeeping staff. Better not get hungry dude LOL!

Now, someone needs to do these types of jobs that make life easier for the rest of us. You are not royalty and they are not your servants! They deserve a living wage, one where they may not need so much tax payer help to survive in the form of food stamps. And once again, 15 bucks an hour is no where near a premium wage!
This is almost sickening to read. "Who is going to do these types of jobs"? Uhh....you know 16, 17, 18 year olds or college students who have more than enough intellectual capacity to do them. Throw in 4 older managers and pay them $40,000-$60,000 a year and BAM everyone will survive.

I'm not saying everyone should go to college and get a 4 year degree, but everyone should do something to better themselves and their situation. There are millions of underemployed college graduates right now working minimum wage jobs and we have a bunch of people that want to raise costs by 30% or more. Really?

PS: I have yet to ever go on a vacation, why? Because I have to continue to spend my money to save for 401k and in case of emergencies. Maybe they should raise my salary 45%, too? Is that cool with you?

Damn if $15.00 isnt a premium wage, what is? 20.00? If thats the case I need to be making at least 35 or 40 an hour. Maybe we should all go on strike at the office tomorrow and demand: NO WORK UNLESS WE MAKE $100,000 A YEAR!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Have you ever worked at a McDonalds in the past 10 years? No? Okay, then you know much less than I do.
10 years? No. 15 years? Yes. I've also worked in retail and as a barrista: I've only been a wage earner.

Like last year, I just quit my job for the summer to take care of my kids. The drop-in childcare and most summer camps for 2 kids COSTS MORE THAN I MAKE. I make $13.25 as a home health care aide. I'm a part-time student too. (Just in case you thought all low-wage earners are a bunch of bums).

Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
This is almost sickening to read. "Who is going to do these types of jobs"? Uhh....you know 16, 17, 18 year olds or college students who have more than enough intellectual capacity to do them. Throw in 4 older managers and pay them $40,000-$60,000 a year and BAM everyone will survive.

I'm not saying everyone should go to college and get a 4 year degree, but everyone should do something to better themselves and their situation. There are millions of underemployed college graduates right now working minimum wage jobs and we have a bunch of people that want to raise costs by 30% or more. Really?
But, not everyone who works these jobs are 16,17 or 18 and not every in that age bracket works. Teenagers also cannot work all the time as there are different laws for minors so it goes without saying that adults 18 and over will need to be hired in larger numbers. Now I don't know how WA is with this but in CA a minor cannot work a minute over 8 hours. Their lunch and break schedules are also more strict. This happened precisely because of people like you who were in charge. They had the attitude "they're lucky to have a job". Well when there's enough push-back decisions are made for you as a company whether you like them or not.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

PS: I have yet to ever go on a vacation, why? Because I have to continue to spend my money to save for 401k and in case of emergencies. Maybe they should raise my salary 45%, too? Is that cool with you?

Damn if $15.00 isnt a premium wage, what is? 20.00? If thats the case I need to be making at least 35 or 40 an hour. Maybe we should all go on strike at the office tomorrow and demand: NO WORK UNLESS WE MAKE $100,000 A YEAR!
Dude, I was able to save up and go on vacation and pay my bills when I was making 12 an hour. You're not doing something right.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Only if they couldn't find a job in their field. Most educated people tend to want jobs in the field they spent half their lives preparing for.
Do you know how many thousands and thousands of people that is right now, people who would be GLAD to work at McDonalds for $15 an hour, and be polite and efficient and show up every day, while trying to find a job in their field? Have you checked the unemployment lines lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area