Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 AM

872 posts, read 2,031,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're absolutely right. if someone has a mother who needs to have things done for them including help financially, too freaking bad! You can't afford to live there so pack up and tell mom that's just the way things are. She will have to make due on her own because the dog eat dog world says so. then there's just the general irony in that statement. How can people move elsewhere when they're barely making enough to get by?
First to answer the post above this: college grads that are working minimum wage jobs aren't demanding to be paid more for those jobs, they want professional careers. I dont know a single person who has just graduated that is still working at Starbucks and saying "I need 15.00 an hour because of THIS job". The attitude is more "Man, I need to find a REAL job".

As far as this comment goes, lets think about this. So you have mother who needs help financially. Here, in Seattle, you can barely make it on $9.19 an hour and you have to live in a HORRIBLE neighborhood and you pay $1000 a month in rent.

But, 2.5 hours a way, there are the tri cities (hell, you can even move to Vancouver, WA) and you're cost of living would drop by at least 30%. You don't think it would be smart to have an extra $300-400 a month in your pocket just by moving 2 hours?

Do you see the flaw in your thought process?

But I digress, those fighting for a higher wage are ones who believe McDonalds is their career. Thats fine, but if they even put half of that "passion" into themselves they wouldn't need McDonalds anyway. I mean there are plenty of jobs that would get them at least 12 or 13 an hour (if not more). They wouldn't be living like Kings, but if they were SMART with their money, they would definitely be okay (if not, have roommates and your costs drop even further). And again, if they were living somewhere with a normal cost of living, they wouldn't be struggling at all.

Im just saying the entitled attitude really needs to go away. I've worked hard all my life and I'd love to live in a nice condo somewhere downtown Seattle, but guess what? I still can't afford it and until I can, I'll make a 5 or 10 (or further) commute into the city like almost everyone else. I dont deserve it just because I say I want it.

Last edited by RunTheDistance476; 05-31-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,973,002 times
There are other threads about this elsewhere in the forum, and since the discussion here is more at the issues at-large than it is Seattle, this thread is closed.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area