Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 PM

36 posts, read 125,439 times

Advertisements

I would love to Live in Seattle i heard so many wonderful things about it.......i live in Atlanta,GA now and i love it but im gonna relocate to Seattle when i graduate...am i making a bad decision??

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-16-2007 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: pulling thread initially posted to off topic ...split and created new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Well from my point of view as a student here on temporary exile, I CAN'T WAIT to get out. I'm from So Cal and I cannot stand the weather here one bit and can't wait until I go back home.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM

59 posts, read 361,919 times
It all depends what you want. Seattle is absolutely beautiful, has low crime for its size, is very expensive, and has cloudy weather. If you can stand cloudy weather for 9 months out of the year, and can afford to live here, you're most likely not making a bad decision. Some people love Seattle, and others, like thatguy, can't stand the weather. It's all about personal preference, but I know many graduates, like myself, who have come to love Seattle as a home.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Atlanta and Seattle are so different. I absolutely love living in Seattle and I lived in quite a few cities.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 AM

231 posts, read 587,492 times
The 3 big gripes are 1) Weather (clouds and grey 9 months a year)..2) Cost of living..3) Traffic.
Aside from that the area is one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the climate (especially during the summer) cant be beat.
I would suggest making a trip to Seattle and check it out. If you come during the winter or spring you will get a good idea of what the weather is like during alot of the year.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
well you are out of college and no kids - so it's doable and probably going to be fun

But I have to say this : If you love where you live - really think about it.

I loved where I lived but didn't realize I would not like Seattle - I thought "Everyone loves it there!" So I would to. Well I don't. The weather is too depressing and cold.

I'm from California.

And I'd move to Georgia if I could - my family lives around there too, I always loved it when I visited (even in August!)

Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
OBATAIYE,

I've lived in both Seattle and Atlanta, and both cities have their ups n downs. I like Seattle as a city better than Atlanta, but I prefer Georgia to Washington as an area to live.

Seattle's an itty bitty more expensive across the board (about 2x), wages are about the same.
Traffic about the same (noticeably worse here in the past two years).
Winter is mild here like Atlanta, but there are only 50-60 sunny days a year, short summer vs humid summer Hotlanta).
Seattle closes down earlier versus Atlanta.
Seattle has high property crime like Atlanta but has much lower violent crime.
Instead of bbq, salmon/crab is big here (just had it last night).

Hmmmm I'm sure there are other comparisons that are more important than these... I'll add them later!

I guess the most noticeable difference between the two cities is going to be people. Now, I'm only speaking generally here (this doesn't mean everybody) but here people tend to get offended easy and to be more passive agressive, which is ironic, as the lifestyle is fairly laid back. We've discussed the "seattle freeze" on here a few times and the consensus seems to be weather or it doesn't exist at all (or maybe it's just that people drink too much coffee), so it's open to debate. I admit I love bringing it up just to watch people's heads pop off.

Bottom line, you're not making a mistake at all. Coming here should expand your horizons, and if it doesn't work out, there's a lot of other great places to go..

Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBATAIYE View Post
I would love to Live in Seattle i heard so many wonderful things about it.......i live in Atlanta,GA now and i love it but im gonna relocate to Seattle when i graduate...am i making a bad decision??
I think there's wonderful things about anywhere you could live. Not sure why you would want to move from somewhere you love if you don't have to? But I guess if you just want to be adventurous and try something new, it probably is not a bad decision. As pointed out before...you can always move back to ATL if you don't like it here.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 AM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times
Just make sure you can easily move back. From what I've seen, Seattle's weather seems fine at first, but gets old fast...

Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 PM

36 posts, read 125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
well you are out of college and no kids - so it's doable and probably going to be fun

But I have to say this : If you love where you live - really think about it.

I loved where I lived but didn't realize I would not like Seattle - I thought "Everyone loves it there!" So I would to. Well I don't. The weather is too depressing and cold.

I'm from California.

And I'd move to Georgia if I could - my family lives around there too, I always loved it when I visited (even in August!)

YEA I THOUGHT ABOUT IT I WOULD MISS TOO MUCH IN GA....I COULDNT SEE MYSELF ANYWHERE ELSE THANKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: