Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to embark on our first-time home-buying journey and I'm looking for some advice.

I'll probably be inundating this board with questions over the next few months so please take it as a compliment! Tons of knowledgeable people here.

Anyway, it's no secret that traffic can be pretty horrific here. As we begin to scope out neighborhoods on the east side, commute times are going to be a major concern. She commutes to Seattle and I commute to way north Kirkland. What tools and strategies are out there (aside from physically driving commutes for a while) to help quantify the effects of traffic congestion on each of our commutes? We'll probably be looking at a range of neighborhoods so ideally we could find some sort of tool that would help us figure out what kind of traffic impact there would be when commuting to/from many different locations.

I have used Google Maps' predictive traffic map and found that the accuracy is really hit or miss. Any advice? Perhaps anything you learned while you were in our shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Have you used the DOT cameras? WSDOT - Seattle Washington Cameras

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
You can double the Google Map times and be pretty close. The 520 bridge is not as bad now that there's a toll, I90 starts getting bad at 6:30am and again at about 3pm. The worst is 405, pretty bad all day long but barely moving most of the commute times. Where in Seattle where she work? That will make a big difference. I'm in Sammamish and work on the waterfront so could go either way, but take the bus via Issaquah and I90. For you working in Kirkland one would think 520 would be better for her but if she is at the south end of Seattle that adds a horrible commute down I5 through downtown.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can double the Google Map times and be pretty close. The 520 bridge is not as bad now that there's a toll, I90 starts getting bad at 6:30am and again at about 3pm. The worst is 405, pretty bad all day long but barely moving most of the commute times. Where in Seattle where she work? That will make a big difference. I'm in Sammamish and work on the waterfront so could go either way, but take the bus via Issaquah and I90. For you working in Kirkland one would think 520 would be better for her but if she is at the south end of Seattle that adds a horrible commute down I5 through downtown.
Good call Hemlock. She's near the university and currently takes 520 (we live in Kirkland currently). Minimizing 405 travel distance in some spots seems like a good idea. I hear people who have to go anywhere near the 405-90 interchange complain about it very often so those southern neighborhoods are disqualified from our consideration. How is traffic coming in and out of Sammammish on any given week day? The "major" roads in and out of Sammammish don't give reliable traffic data since they're not highways. I'd hate to find a great place in Sammammish and deal with New-Issaquah-Highlands caliber traffic every morning simply because we didn't drive through it on a weekday at 730am.

We've also had suggestions of Bothell, Woodinville, and further north. I think we'd both be commuting with the heaviest traffic in that case (north->south in the morning) which could make it tough.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
From Sammamish, especially if in the north (Sahalee/Timberline end) you have two ways in and out, Inglewood Hill to East Lake Sammamish Parkway (ELSP), and Sahalee Way to 202 (Redmond-Fall City Road). Yes, it will be congested at commute times but is still not anywhere close to the gridlock that other areas have. Slow moving, at worst, most of the time. ELSP is worse now in the summer with the new little park the City put in on the water with no parking lot, so we use 202 then. Going down to I90 at the south end is worse now with Issaquah Highlands continuing to expand. Go tho the City of Sammamish website, they have traffic cameras on both ELSP and Sahalee Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area