Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 AM

32 posts, read 43,340 times

Advertisements

Greetings Seahawks fans! Bare with me as there really isn't any question to follow (just sharing my thoughts). This is my second visit to this forum and almost one year after my original post. The fact that I'm back means I'm still thinking about moving from Los Angeles (South Bay) to Seattle. I've lived in L.A. all my life, and have been relatively happy- having not much to compare to besides a quick four years living in Tempe, AZ for college. My wife's family is from Redmond, WA and every year since 2000, we make two to three visits out. I've got to say, every time I return home, I get a bit more bummed out about where I am living. I might be crazy, but while all my friends are bragging on facebook about our 70 degree winter days, I am missing the the quiet overcast cool mornings I spent this December running out along the Sammamish River Trail, and up and down Powerline Trail. I was amazed I was virtually alone on my runs, with seldom a cyclist, jogger or someone walking their dog to remind me the morning was not entirely mine. I attended my second Seahawks game as they beat up the Rams and clinched the NFC West title. What a team, and what awesome fans! I was lucky enough to be at Century Link one year prior when the Hawks beat up the Niners. I am contemplating getting on the season ticket waiting list before moving. My sister in law took us to Fremont and I loved the character of the area (and the beer).

I have to admit, part of me just wants to get up and go. I don't frequent the beach like I used to- Shark Week ruined me (that and the local shark sightings). I don't like the heat either. I don't know what happened... the heat is only nice when I'm relaxing by a pool with a beer in my hand. Los Angeles has worn me down. I'm tired of the ridiculous crime rates and the shrinking good areas and premium prices to live in these really nice slivers surrounded by crap. There is beauty here if you look off to the mountains on a really clear day, or if you happen to be in Malibu, Palos Verdes, or one of the other places millionaires live. The beaches are lovely. It doesn't hold a candle to Mt. Rainier or Puget Sound. I am realizing that I really don't like where I live. My job? I love it. I can transfer to Seattle Division- no problem there. Friends? I'll miss them, but I will be back to visit (and I'll make new ones). Family? I get along better with my wife's family than mine- and my 2 year old daughter will have a ton of cousins to play with in the event she is an only child.

I have begun my training to move to Seattle. I religiously follow the Seahawks, and have been wearing a beard for the last two years. I started drinking Starbucks coffee regularly and have been keeping my beer drinking selections firmly rooted in west coast craft (I still love my California and Oregon brews). In all seriousness, I'm just thinking more and more seriously about moving. Discussions with my wife have shifted from the hypothetical "would you ever want to move to Seattle?" to "what steps do we need to take to make a move to Seattle happen." Beyond college, I have never moved anywhere and I live two blocks from my hometown of Manhattan Beach. I think I can handle the major change, I just need to work up the courage and resolve to open a new chapter in my life. I think it will be a great move for my wife and I, and our daughter and hopefully future child. The dog would probably like it too. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Actually if it wasn't for the weather, Seattle would look a lot like California!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,027 times
It sounds like you're in a good position to make this move happen. You know what you want and are familiar with Seattle from visiting so often, it's not some abstract concept. Having your wife's family in the Seattle area is a plus.

I don't know your financial situation but if you live near Manhattan Beach and going to Seahawks games you may be affluent. I would go ahead and do it within the year. If you want to visit friends back home you know California is a quick plane trip away. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2SEA View Post
Greetings Seahawks fans! Bare with me ...
Doing what you ask would make things quite chilly at the game, though many fans seem to come close.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 43,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
It sounds like you're in a good position to make this move happen. You know what you want and are familiar with Seattle from visiting so often, it's not some abstract concept. Having your wife's family in the Seattle area is a plus.

I don't know your financial situation but if you live near Manhattan Beach and going to Seahawks games you may be affluent. I would go ahead and do it within the year. If you want to visit friends back home you know California is a quick plane trip away. Good luck!
I'm definitely not affluent. I'm not making tech money and won't be looking at Mercer Island as an option. We are a dual income family with my wife and I working 50+ hour work weeks. Our mortgage payment is high. Part of our decision to move is to slow things down a bit so we can have more time for what's important. It definitely feels like the rat race here. I know there are very expensive homes in Seattle as well, but there are so many more options in the price range we want to spend (500-650 range). I need my readiness to move to coincide with a job transfer opening through my work, which seem to occur every year or two.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
I'm definitely not affluent. I'm not making tech money and won't be looking at Mercer Island as an option. We are a dual income family with my wife and I working 50+ hour work weeks. Our mortgage payment is high. Part of our decision to move is to slow things down a bit so we can have more time for what's important. It definitely feels like the rat race here. I know there are very expensive homes in Seattle as well, but there are so many more options in the price range we want to spend (500-650 range). I need my readiness to move to coincide with a job transfer opening through my work, which seem to occur every year or two.
Look down, in the south sound federal way area. Beautiful houses extremely close to the water with exceptiona views if the sound in the 500-700 range.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM

279 posts, read 479,958 times
""Great" weather isn't everything"

....said no one ever!!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Great weather isn't everything, but when it's February and it's been raining and gray for two straight weeks, and it's been relatively cold for the last five months, you DO start longing for some "great weather".

But that's part of the trade-off for Seattle's other advantages. (And why early in the year is a good time for a vacation...)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
I have to admit, part of me just wants to get up and go. I don't frequent the beach like I used to- Shark Week ruined me (that and the local shark sightings). I don't like the heat either. I don't know what happened... the heat is only nice when I'm relaxing by a pool with a beer in my hand. Los Angeles has worn me down. I'm tired of the ridiculous crime rates and the shrinking good areas and premium prices to live in these really nice slivers surrounded by crap. There is beauty here if you look off to the mountains on a really clear day, or if you happen to be in Malibu, Palos Verdes, or one of the other places millionaires live. The beaches are lovely. It doesn't hold a candle to Mt. Rainier or Puget Sound. I am realizing that I really don't like where I live. My job? I love it. I can transfer to Seattle Division- no problem there. Friends? I'll miss them, but I will be back to visit (and I'll make new ones). Family? I get along better with my wife's family than mine- and my 2 year old daughter will have a ton of cousins to play with in the event she is an only child.
L.A. area sounds like a dodgy area to raise a child these days. A parent-peer of mine said same about Manhattan, which also seems to apply: nice place, if you can live with the millionaires. Otherwise, ain't gonna work. Not a good place to raise kids, too dense and too many weird variables. Fill a place with millions of people from the (very) poor...by American standards...to the (very) rich, there will be friction. The latter find every-fewer reasons to leave gated communities. The former get more and more upset and vote in additional benefits. Eventually that trough will run dry, though hard to say when.

Quote:
Beyond college, I have never moved anywhere and I live two blocks from my hometown of Manhattan Beach. I think I can handle the major change, I just need to work up the courage and resolve to open a new chapter in my life. I think it will be a great move for my wife and I, and our daughter and hopefully future child. The dog would probably like it too. Thanks for reading.
Big culture change here vs. Manhattan Beach. I'm pretty familiar with Long Beach, which may or may not be comparable (haven't spent a lot of time in the latter since the 1990s). Same concept, I suspect.

If the move is primarily for one, quality of life for your child; two, a way to get ahead economically; and three, major change of scenary and far more kicked-back (conservative, in the non-political sense) lifestyle, Seattle may be for you after all. I migrated from CA for those reasons, and haven't regretted it too terribly often since.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
""Great" weather isn't everything"

....said no one ever!!!!
Probably true, but I consider this area to have Great weather since I prefer cloudy/rain/green over hot and sunny and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area