Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 AM

271 posts, read 426,748 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from CA about 6 months ago and so far I dont have a single friend. It's depressing. Where can I find some friends? Or even just one friend? I go to a church here. No friends there. I don't work. That might be a part of the problem. I didn't realize it'd be so lonely here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 AM

133 posts, read 253,026 times
Vanessa Ho (seattle pi) gives some reasons why Seattle is one of the most lonely places on Earth here:

1 - seattlepi.com

Sorry Seattle Sucks. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Vanessa Ho (seattle pi) gives some reasons why Seattle is one of the most lonely places on Earth here:

1 - seattlepi.com

That's real helpful ... not!

Did you have the same problems in California? If not, how did you find friends there ... try the same things. Have you tried on-line meet/greet sites, singles clubs, join a YMCA, take a class on something that interests you ... there have to be friends out there for you.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Find a job or volunteer doing something you enjoy. My mom moved to Sequim when she retired and found friends by volunteering with a few different organizations. She became active in her church groups and volunteered at the church's school and got to know people that way. When I've lived in new places I've found new friends at work, and eventually met others through the networks of friends that they had. My wife's best friend today is someone she was a post-doc intern with 15 years ago, and neither of them knew anyone when they moved here.

If you're an introvert it's the best way I know of to make friends. If you are on disability of some sort and can't work you can still make friends if you volunteer. Most hospitals are happy to have a volunteer who is willing to work 20 hours a week, and most museums are looking for volunteer help as well.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post

1 - seattlepi.com

Good article…. although sh-h-h!, you know we don't like to talk about those kinda thangs here!

Geez, if you think it's bad in Seattle, try Vashon Island! When I first moved there and hardly knew anyone, would see the same folks everyday commuting on the ferry, and we often had some of the most amazing and in-depth conversations… or at least as much as possible within a 20 minute ferry ride. So I actually got to know a lot of people that way and in a very short while. But my first 'clue' that something was amiss, was one day running into several of these very same folks on the street in downtown Vashon… and though we obviously saw each other, they would clearly look the other way and ignore me as they walked by (WTF)?! Or as someone later remarked, that you could know people on Vashon for years, but actually getting invited to dinner in their homes was huge!

Years later moved over to the Seattle 'mainland', where I recognized similar 'inclinations', though to a much lesser degree. Like my fav incident a woman friend once told me, where she had invited a female acquaintance to coffee, and was told, in these words, "no thanks, I'm all full up on friends right now"!!

Last edited by mateo45; 01-16-2014 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
How do you expect to make friends if you don't have a job? What are you expecting, people walking down the street to just go up to you and say, "oh please be my friend, stranger!" Are you in school or what? What do you do with your time? If you don't have a job, hobby, or any interests, then the problem with finding friends seems to be a personal matter.

People living here, like anywhere else, already have friends. You have to be the active party in making friends and show an interest in other people; i.e., join a club and ask someone for their phone number and tell them you want to hang out.

It's not just Seattle; every time you move you will have to reform a new circle of friends. I suggest you learn basic friend-making strategies as soon as possible as to avoid future aggravation. Making friends is as simple as starting up a random conversation with someone and saying, "hey, I moved here sort of recently so I'm not that familiar with the area, want to meet up for lunch/a drink later?" Abra kadabra, you have a friend. It's not that hard.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
In addition to the suggestions of the other posters, I'd also suggest that you try a new church. Churches should be welcoming, especially to newcombers.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
How do you expect to make friends if you don't have a job? What are you expecting, people walking down the street to just go up to you and say, "oh please be my friend, stranger!" Are you in school or what? What do you do with your time? If you don't have a job, hobby, or any interests, then the problem with finding friends seems to be a personal matter.

People living here, like anywhere else, already have friends. You have to be the active party in making friends and show an interest in other people; i.e., join a club and ask someone for their phone number and tell them you want to hang out.

It's not just Seattle; every time you move you will have to reform a new circle of friends. I suggest you learn basic friend-making strategies as soon as possible as to avoid future aggravation. Making friends is as simple as starting up a random conversation with someone and saying, "hey, I moved here sort of recently so I'm not that familiar with the area, want to meet up for lunch/a drink later?" Abra kadabra, you have a friend. It's not that hard.
No offense, but apparently you just moved to Seattle, so while your "enthusiasm" is swell, isn't it just a tad early to be casually (and forcefully) dismissing the impressions of another newcomer like yourself?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
I just moved here from CA about 6 months ago and so far I dont have a single friend. It's depressing. Where can I find some friends? Or even just one friend? I go to a church here. No friends there. I don't work. That might be a part of the problem. I didn't realize it'd be so lonely here.
Hi there! You say don't work... you don't mention what you do do other than go to church. What do you like to do? Are there any activities you are interested in or might develop an interest in that might lead to more social ties?

This time of year I find many people are either inside or hurrying on their way to get inside- it's not a great time to just walk out of your house and expect to make new acquaintances. Your best bets are group activities, classes, volunteering, that kind of thing.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I agree with the posts above in that you have to, in Dori's (as in Finding Nemo) terms, "just keep swimming". Think of life as a huge experiment where you are constantly recalibrating. You do have to put yourself in situation where you'll find friends. Church and occupation are really big for that, but it's not the only way.

I've been here three years in May and I'm not sure I would quite say we have friends either, but only because I'm not sure what it means to have a friend. Some people throw that word around really loosely... I'm so-and-so's friend even though they don't know basic and open facts about me. I would say I have a ton of acquaintances though. And honestly, I'm okay with having it that way: It's really neighborly and I believe I could even count on some if I found myself in a real pickle.

I slowly built them up by volunteering (my occupation). If you are crazy about church then step up and join one of their programs... most are in need of volunteers and would love to have you. Don't give into the idea that it's Seattle (there are plenty that will tell you it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area