Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,898,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by americaine View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing this list! I'm glad to hear there are so many options. In your opinion, where are prime places to live for those who want quick and easy access to trails?
I live near Seward Park ... I can walk from my house and be in old growth forest in 10 minutes. Would never know you're anywhere near a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,193,394 times
Alright, folks.

For people prone to depression, a social support network is much more important than sunshine. A small portion of the population actually deals with seasonal affective disorder and will be affected by this. But what can really make a difference for most people is the existence or lack of a network of positive people that you interact with on a daily basis. The reason I bring this up is that moving to a new city where you don't know anyone will effectively eliminate your social network, and it takes time to build it back up.

This is getting into personal issues that shouldn't be discussed in this thread, but my advice for the OP: If your relationships in California aren't that great and you're willing to discard them, then this might not be a problem for you. But it's something you should really think about.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM

573 posts, read 1,457,018 times
I think this area has just about everything you would like as a dog and outside person. Their is much to see and do. Definitely a dog friendly area. Lots of parks etc. I think this is a great area for young people. Lots of diversity and lots of activities. Before you come here read about the Seattle freeze---people here are not the friendliest---their is a thread on this. Vit d --- check your levels and should be over 60 but under 100. Lastly, the lack of sun is a huge issue and especially for some. Rain is not a big deal but no sun for days on end is and it gets dark earlier than where you live. I have found this to be an issue for myself. Infact, in a year, I am planning to move out of here to a place where the sun shines 300 plus days. I personally do not think the lights help much. I wish you the best and glad you are aware and taking positive steps on your own personal issues.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,574,437 times
I am also native SoCal, LA and SD and it got so I could not stand the relentless sun and heat. I now live across the water from Seattle and it is not the rain but the dark winters that get me. When it gets dark so early in fall and winter I can only describe it as feeling like a heavy weight is pressing down on my head. However, as a previous poster stated, get a support system going, you need that anyway, wherever you live. And for me, the long glorious Washington summers are worth it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area