Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,062,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Puget Sound is not a cesspool, but I'm going to defend Tac-Sea here. There are parts of Auburn and Tacoma that are kind of scuzzy. Maybe the chances of getting shot or mugged are extremely small, but there are parts of the Seattle area where people park their cars on their lawns, make loud noise at inappropriate times, litter profusely, and live in run down buildings.
We don't live where Tac-Sea lives. It's easy to dismiss his or her feelings from our homes in Sammamish and Kirkland and Edmonds and Ravenna. But in most neighborhoods/towns around Seattle, even those panned as ghetto, much of the housing is no different than that in the cool or sought after areas. Wedgwood has a lot of 40's crapboxes, just like Skyway does. There are a lot of pleasant, middle class areas in Tacoma, Auburn, Skyway, White Center, etc. Tac-Sea just hasn't found them.
There are run down areas, of course. But cesspool? Everything outside of Kirkland is a dangerous ghetto? Come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,629,918 times
Actually there are some areas of the Puget Sound region that are still kind of rough/ghetto...same type of uneducated hood mentality you'll find in any major American metro area. I grew up in the Renton/Kent/South King County area back in the 90's so it's not like I'm talking out of my as* here.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,062,602 times
Uh oh...

Woman Carjacked at Gunpoint in Kirkland

Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,400,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
kind of explains why half of America is choked to death in every sense by too many cars in too little space...I'll watch from a distance, reading about it on my WiFi connected device in my clean, fast and efficient bus/tram/metro...
Just because your country is choked to death by too many cars in too little space doesn't mean the rest of the world is. Germany has a population density 6x greater than Washington. Maybe you should try getting out of your tram and pull your head out of your...wifi.

You have no idea what anything is like in America. "half of America" is not choked to death in any sense by too many cars in too little space. You obviously have no idea what so ever how large the US is. It's further to drive across just Washington than it is to drive across Germany. Bellingham, WA to Key Largo, FL is the same distance from northern Scotland to Iraq.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,886,103 times
Dude, you couldn't afford to buy in Seattle, so you're blaming Auburn for your problems?

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,932,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Just because your country is choked to death by too many cars in too little space doesn't mean the rest of the world is. Germany has a population density 6x greater than Washington. Maybe you should try getting out of your tram and pull your head out of your...wifi.
You have no idea what anything is like in America. "half of America" is not choked to death in any sense by too many cars in too little space. You obviously have no idea what so ever how large the US is. It's further to drive across just Washington than it is to drive across Germany. Bellingham, WA to Key Largo, FL is the same distance from northern Scotland to Iraq.
Gee, Haakon, you sure got your panties in a twist over SitoUk's post!
Since he (she?) spent several years here in the U.S., I'm quite sure he/she is aware of what's what here...

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM

646 posts, read 930,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Perhaps Lakeland South is a good middle ground. No bus routes in any neighborhood I've seen there (although I am sure there are SOME somewhere along a major road) but still close enough to conveniences compared to buying 10 acres in North Bend to get away...

Tacoma has more crime than Los Angeless (look up the safety/crime index online, tacoma is a 2 while LA is 27, on a scale where 100 is the safest!). And I have been to LA, Miami, NY, Chicago, etc. many times. I felt safer in most parts of those towns than I do the puget sound. The true ghettos there may be far worse than here, but it seems like they are in very few areas.

Here it seems like almost anywhere you go it is so crowded with unsavory characters that I feel like Kirkland is the only place that is safe for now...but last I heard they were trying to lift the ban on section 8 housing, so we shall see...
u might be thin skinned and sheltered...
when u say u felt safer in most parts of nyc compared to puget sound, i gotta question where in nyc u been cuz i been in seattle and i been everywhere in nyc pretty much and nyc area looks like a 3rd world country compared to seattle area, both in crime stats and feeling safe. If u say Auburn is rough, ud prolly have a heart attack if u came through my nhood. Theres bad parts erywhere, and I dont kno bout Auburn, but Seattle is one of the cleanest and safest areas in the country. Perhaps ur jus not moving to the right places tho.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM

646 posts, read 930,497 times
jus for instance, this is the walmart i regularly go to Undercover cop, accused drug dealer wounded in Garfield shootout | NJ.com
they jus be shootin it out in the parking lot in the middle of the day like its normal. If u dont have that typa nonsense goin on, i feel like u shud be ok

Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 AM

68 posts, read 211,751 times
Spokane on the same level as places like Camden, Detroit, East St. Louis, Compton etc...really? Their issues are more or less similar to those Tacoma/Auburn face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Some homes/yards that are unkempt, mossy roofs, chain-link fences, property crime, and car prowls, sure. And that's about as far as it goes for the most part. Cesspool? No. Ghetto? Not even close. I'd go as far as saying that the Sound area is one of the most tame in the country. Take a visit to Spokane, California, the Midwest, much of the East Coast, and you may just change your views.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM

269 posts, read 299,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It seems like wherever I move, there is always a ghetto vibe of one level or another. I moved from Tacoma to Auburn and am not sure which is worse,

If you can't tell the difference between Tacoma and Auburn (in terms of the humanity all around) then it's just you...

Well, unless it was that one day in everyone's lifetime when M.C. Hammer played in Auburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area