Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,840,827 times

Advertisements

It seems like wherever I move, there is always a ghetto vibe of one level or another. I moved from Tacoma to Auburn and am not sure which is worse, but both seem pretty bad. Either I am buying in the wrong neighborhoods or there isn't much seperation between where I am buying and where the pockets of ghetto are.

It seems that things that I value, such as reasonable proximity to public transportation, jobs, etc. are also valued by other people who although they can't afford to buy a house in my area, they certainly can pool their hourly wages with the hourly wages of 10 of their closest friends and rent a house next door to me.

So what is one to do? Buy acres of land with a house, and if so, where? Or should I just look at moving to more exclusive communities that are not as close to conveniences, etc.

Is there a minimum ammount one must spend to not live in a ghetto area? Is it necessary to buy a 500K house in Kirkland to be able to walk your dog down the street without feeling like you might run into trouble?

Or am I just thin skinned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:47 PM

541 posts, read 1,733,833 times
Honestly, I'm not sure what your definition of a ghetto is, as the northwest does not have a true ghetto. Our bad pockets are laughable to people on the east coast, south, midwest, and southern California. We have undesirable areas, yes, but nothing truly horrid.

But it is often common knowledge that most areas south of Seattle are less desirable then areas to the north. This includes Renton, Kent, Auburn, Puyallup, Tacoma, Lakewood, etc, etc. They are never high on people's lists to move too. Central Sound and the North Sound are more sought after. South is seen as less desirable, and maybe that is simply because people feel that working class, blue collar neighborhoods are less pleasing. It varies for everyone.

Calling the Puget Sound a "Cesspool" couldn't be further from the truth though. You must have very high standards.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Both Tacoma and Auburn have some sketchy areas, but also some beautiful, peaceful and safe areas. Cesspool is a strong term, and doesn't really apply to anywhere in the region, but if you want to be able to walk feel totally safe walking the dog at night expect to be paying close to or more than $500k in any city. There are reasons why some areas cost more than others.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,539,548 times
Lol @ ghetto in western washington

Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,778,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It seems that things that I value, such as reasonable proximity to public transportation, jobs, etc. are also valued by other people who although they can't afford to buy a house in my area, they certainly can pool their hourly wages with the hourly wages of 10 of their closest friends and rent a house next door to me.

That's the problem. Public transportation = parasite magnet. Live in an area where people work hard and invest in their own more modern form of transportation, the automobile.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,840,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That's the problem. Public transportation = parasite magnet. Live in an area where people work hard and invest in their own more modern form of transportation, the automobile.
Perhaps Lakeland South is a good middle ground. No bus routes in any neighborhood I've seen there (although I am sure there are SOME somewhere along a major road) but still close enough to conveniences compared to buying 10 acres in North Bend to get away...

Tacoma has more crime than Los Angeless (look up the safety/crime index online, tacoma is a 2 while LA is 27, on a scale where 100 is the safest!). And I have been to LA, Miami, NY, Chicago, etc. many times. I felt safer in most parts of those towns than I do the puget sound. The true ghettos there may be far worse than here, but it seems like they are in very few areas.

Here it seems like almost anywhere you go it is so crowded with unsavory characters that I feel like Kirkland is the only place that is safe for now...but last I heard they were trying to lift the ban on section 8 housing, so we shall see...

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Some time drive up to Issaquah Highlands where the median home costs $700,000 and watch as the ST554, Metro 216, 218 219, and 269 fill up with commuters every morning, and the park & Ride is full by 8am.

Then there's the South Sammamish Park & Ride where those same buses are less full but still pick up many riders, the median home price is $620,000, and people like me have 3 cars but prefer to take the bus.

There are also plenty of bus riders coming out of Kirkland!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,894,219 times
Feel free to move to Southern California to learn about what a "ghetto" really is. I laugh whenever someone here tells me about how "scary" they think a neighborhood here is. Natives here see any person of color or lower-class and immediately assume that the neighborhood has gone to the dogs. In California, I was paying an arm and a leg for a house that was just a few blocks away from a corner that would be frequented with murders. And that was in a supposed "nice" neighborhood!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,927,004 times
"Is is just me, or has the puget sound become a cesspool?"

Answer: It's just you.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,057,688 times
I suggest you visit any of the following places and report back:

East St. Louis, IL
Chester, PA
Watts, CA
Detroit, MI

Also, please tell me where the $500K houses are in Kirkland, because I want one. Or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area