Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 41,293 times

Advertisements

Hi there

What is Mercer Island like to live on- apart from expensive?! How big is the island, what is there in the way of shopping, recreation and medical facilities? What are the ferries like? Is it a good place to get involved with neighbourhood activities? Is there a library and coffee shops? And places to walk a dog?

I have been told (by friends who lived in Seattle about 2 years ago) that this is the place they would recommend for all of the above reasons, and that the High School there is fantastic. Not sure how up-to-date their info is?

Thanks everyone. And if you can recommend any websites about Seattle in general or mercer Island, that would be great too.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
How big is the island? I’d guess about 12 to 15 square miles. Shopping? The retail core is on the north end of the island. I-90 runs right through the north end and the shopping area is right off the freeway. You’ll find small shops, some restaurants, fast food places, etc. There is a small shopping area at the south end of the island that has a small chain grocery store and a gas station. Most of your shopping will be done either in Seattle or the Bellevue/Factoria area as Mercer Island is in-between Seattle and Bellevue. There is no ferry. Access to the island is across I-90 from either Seattle or Bellevue.

Medical facilities/major hospitals, again, are in either Bellevue or Seattle although there are a few doctor’s offices on the island.

Yes, it is a very good place to get involved with community and neighborhood activities. There is a library, coffee shops, and many places to walk a dog.

The Mercer Island School District is one of the best in the nation.

I’ll give you some links when I get the chance to look them up or somebody else might be able to post some in the meantime.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
Shopping: Everything you need for daily living but not a lot more. There is lots of shopping is about 10 minutes from here.

Recreation: Lots of outdoor possibilities like biking around the island, tennis, basketball. There is a nice community center with exercise equipment, a gym, pool tables and meeting rooms. There is an indoor pool. No bowling or video game hangouts.

Medical facilities: No hospitals but plenty of doctors and dentists.

Ferries: none, we have about 8 lanes of interstate highway going East and West.

Library: yes, a good one that is part of the King County system, King County Library System -

Coffee shops: plenty of Starbucks and other drive-through locations.

Places to walk a dog: On most of the island well-behaved dogs are allowed off-leash.

Neighborhood activities: Are you asking about things for kids to do in their spare time or for adults to do to get involved with the community?

Schools: run by the same kind of people that provide all government services. The difference here is most parents make the effort necessary for their children to be successful.

Expensive: the median price is high but this is due to a lot waterfront property. There are less expensive neighborhoods where $700k will get you a 1960's vintage split-level.

Commute: If you work in Seattle or Bellevue it's pretty good.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,585 times
I lived on Mercer Island for 35 years and loved it. Living on the water is ideal but even for those who don't, there are 3 large beach parks, the largest of which is Luther Burbank Park on the northend. LB has a small off-leash area with water access. Best off leash park is a half hour drive--Marymoor Park in Redmond--a must for dogs and dog lovers! Good bus service on "the rock" and to off-Island, too. There's lots to do on the Island and nearby. Be sure you're comfortable living among "upwardly mobile" folks.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM

I know this is a zombie thread and we should let die a peaceful death, but this article was in the news today.

Mercer Island, where 37.1 percent of residents over age 25 have advanced degrees, is No. 20 on the Forbes list of the Most Educated Small Towns...

Mercer Island on Forbes 'most educated' list | Local News | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington (http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_010509WAB_mercer_island_forbes_list_SW.3fea3a2e .html - broken link)

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,278 times
Comments to AzDreamer - dogs are allowed off-leash only in posted off-leash areas ... not just anywhere they are well-behaved - I witnessed a young girl attacked by a well-behaved off-leash dog on the lid. It says a lot about MI when $700K for a older home is considered "less-expensive".

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Comments to AzDreamer - dogs are allowed off-leash only in posted off-leash areas ... not just anywhere they are well-behaved - I witnessed a young girl attacked by a well-behaved off-leash dog on the lid. It says a lot about MI when $700K for a older home is considered "less-expensive".
I think you have your off-leash rules reversed. Dogs are allowed off-leash everywhere except where posted.

The general rules are dogs and not allowed on school grounds, sports courts, swimming beaches and playgrounds. Dogs are not allowed off-leash at Luther Burbank and a couple other places except in the specific off-leash area. Other parts of the island dogs are allowed off-leash.

City of Mercer Island - Leash Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area