Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,214 times

Advertisements

Really like the Puget sound area..but the rain is a deterant. Can anyone suggest towns within an hour from Seattle, wilth mountains, maybe semi-coastal, and less than 35 inches of rain a year?

Most grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,830 times
You might look into Bellingham. It doesn't get less than 35 inches of rain, but it's not as rainy as Seattle. The weather is more like Vancouver BC. It is more than an hour away, but not too much. And there may be areas just south of Bellingham that would suit you.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:36 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
I don't think the rain will bug you as much as you think. It does "rain" here but more times than not it is that light rain. Like a drizzle. It actually rains more in HI and NY than here. I am about a 25 min drive from down town Seattle on the east side and it is a great area. I love living so close to the cities of Redmond. Bellevue and Seattle and yet feel like we are out in a forest far from everything.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,214 times
Moving From SF Bay Area to WA State:

Thanks for your ideas..will check these locations out on city-data and keep looking.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
Default Less Rainy areas in Puget Sound

You also might try Kitsap County or parts of Island County. They are in the rain shadow of the Olympics and receive significantly less measureable rain than Seattle. Easy commute into the city by ferry, too!

Old 02-04-2006, 02:24 AM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Jones
You also might try Kitsap County or parts of Island County. They are in the rain shadow of the Olympics and receive significantly less measureable rain than Seattle. Easy commute into the city by ferry, too!

Don't you find those ferry fees quite high?

Old 02-04-2006, 08:04 AM

110 posts, read 689,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme
I don't think the rain will bug you as much as you think. It does "rain" here but more times than not it is that light rain. Like a drizzle. It actually rains more in HI and NY than here. I am about a 25 min drive from down town Seattle on the east side and it is a great area. I love living so close to the cities of Redmond. Bellevue and Seattle and yet feel like we are out in a forest far from everything.
I had moved from SF to Portland (now in Florida) and, believe me, it's not about the rain. We get a lot more inches of rain here. But it's the grey days that are depressing. Here in Florida, we get more rain but in-between there's a lot of sunshine. I also hear that Seattle isn't as grey as Portland because it's coastal, rather than inland.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,105 times
Post To Celtic Tiger

You may be interested in Spokane area in Eastern Washington. Not a lot of rain, no ocean, but lots of beautiful lakes and ski areas close by. Active Irish population in Spokane. Charming home for sale very reasonable 40 miles from Spokane.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,696 times
Like previously said, the rain isn't as bad as it may seem. The only thing I don't like, precipitation-wise, is the total lack of snow here.

Have no fears about moving to Seattle -- it's a great city.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:02 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Tiger
Really like the Puget sound area..but the rain is a deterant. Can anyone suggest towns within an hour from Seattle, wilth mountains, maybe semi-coastal, and less than 35 inches of rain a year?
It may be slightly over an hour away but Whidbey Island has the lowest rainfall close in to Seattle unless you are willing to trek across the Cascade Mountains to the Cle Elum area, where it snows and you have to commute across a snowy mountain pass in winter. The downfall with Whidbey Island is that you have to take a ferry to get there and then drive through traffic hell to get to Seattle. If you can commute in off peak times, a little over an hour commute is possible.

The driest place in Western Washington is Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula, which gets around 15 inches of rain a year. The Olympic Mountains cast a rainshadow making certain areas, like Sequim, Whidbey Island, Victoria, BC drier than other local areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area