Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,368,221 times

Advertisements

Well, there are bars on some windows in some areas - but, they are infrequent enough that even after living here for 30+ years, that I notice them when I see them. In other words, they are pretty darned rare, and usually limited to a few less desirable areas. Car break-ins and thefts are unfortunately all too common (at least in some parts of town).

If you are really looking for a safe area, pretty much any of the East Side communities are about as safe as you can find nowadays around any large city.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Do things ever get violent?
Generally, no. Theft in Seattle is significantly above the national average, especially car theft, which is apparently a huge problem here. But violent crime is significantly below the national average.

Just secure your valuables. I've never had anything stolen myself, although friends have had their places broken into.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM

534 posts, read 3,114,287 times
It's common sense basically. If you leave a laptop in your car in Seattle, it *will* be stolen, guaranteed.

Don't leave anything of value in your car, not even change in your change holder.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
It's common sense basically. If you leave a laptop in your car in Seattle, it *will* be stolen, guaranteed.

Don't leave anything of value in your car, not even change in your change holder.
Leave a laptop on you car seat anywhere, and it's gone! Well, except maybe Mayberry.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM

38 posts, read 35,409 times
I've never personally encountered theft here -- but I've known other people who've had their vehicles either stolen or broken into.

Washington, relatively, seemed to be fairly soft on prosecuting auto theft.

To get an idea of what Washington's auto theft laws were traditionally like, check out section III of this commentary:
http://www.metrokc.gov/proatty/policies/Auto.htm (broken link)

Apparently, the penalties for auto theft were reassessed in legislation passed this year:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...2007&bill=1001

Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 PM

91 posts, read 372,774 times
Most of the Puget sound area has a very high theft rate,with parts of the West sound even worse than Seattle area,I looked at Home alarm system,home alarm monitoring, lojack for the cars and comprehensive insurance and home owners insurance rates and were very surprised how low they were considering the high theft rate,but like others havd said I would much rather live in a city known for thieves than killers

Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

395 posts, read 1,364,965 times
Angry So True..

Only lived here two years and in my secure apartment garage..my car windows were busted...
you wanna know what they wanted so bad?
Some spare change.....good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM

712 posts, read 1,368,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralman View Post
Generally, no. Theft in Seattle is significantly above the national average, especially car theft, which is apparently a huge problem here. But violent crime is significantly below the national average.

Just secure your valuables. I've never had anything stolen myself, although friends have had their places broken into.
In Seattle they have fake tow-truck companies. BEWARE!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
It's still disappointing to hear. I went to Hawaii 2 years ago to the north shore by the bonzi pipeline in a nice little bungalow on the beach. I was really shocked to see all the crime there as well. I mean I live in NW Jersey and can leave my car windows open at nite. (though I wouldn't because of the bats ) But then again the population here is very small compared to the dense population out there. (NW Jersey) There's a lot of compromise to be made in this move. But I still feel the quality of life is far better then here.
When I lived in northern NJ in Bergen and Essex counties and D.C. I saw bars on windows all the time. Not just bottom windows either. I also saw bullet proof glass up in many establishments including banks, stores and fastfood places. If you've never seen this just image paying for your items without ever touching the cashiers hand. You have to put your money in a minature revolving door. In 8 years I was never burglarized. Back east my car was broken into, so was my dads. My car insurance dropped significantly when I moved to Seattle too.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,383,520 times
Seattle Police has a nice set of maps that show the relative risk in different parts of the city.

SeaStat Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area