Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 04:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times

Advertisements

The more I read the more I hear about burglary's in parked cars and apartments.

I picked up a book, HandBook for newcomers to Seattle. And on one of the checklists for apartment shopping is make sure if your getting a ground floor apartment is to make sure it has bars on the windows.

Is it really that bad? In most area's are there bars on the windows? And people/kids breaking into cars at nite? Is this really common? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 07:00 PM

38 posts, read 35,328 times
I think that Seattle and Western Washington in general have a higher than the national average amount of car thefts and burglaries, but lower amounts of some other types of crime; generally, Seattle seems a little worse than the national average on the crime index.

//www.city-data.com/city/Seattle-Washington.html
Scroll down -- click on the crime type in the table to update the graph.

Seattle also has below the national average of law enforcement officer to resident ratio.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-26-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Fixed URL

Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Do things ever get violent?

Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Sure, probably less violent crime in general than many cities of comparable size and popuation, but there are some cases of seemingly random and strange violence in Seattle and its suburbs. Fortunately, a lot of the random stuff is not fatal.

Here's the lighter side of it (and it's an old article, just pretty strange):
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/323300_eagle12.html

You hear about people getting attacked in parks or homeless people shooting each other on occasion. Again, the crime index should give some idea -- I think assaults are above the national average; murders below the national average.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Is it really that bad? In most area's are there bars on the windows? And people/kids breaking into cars at nite? Is this really common? Thanks.
It's not that bad. Bars on the windows aren't common in Seattle. I came from San Francisco and there almost all the houses had bars on the windows and and an iron gate in front.

As far as auto break ins, just use common sense and put your valuables in the trunk or better yet, take them out of the car.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Stats are stats. Sure, use common sense but, just like the "most dog-friendly" statistic people like to bring up, you have to take "higher than the national average rate of burglaries and auto thefts" as a valid statistic, too.

But stats are open to interpretation, right?

Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,704 times
Quote:
The more I read the more I hear about burglary's in parked cars and apartments.

I picked up a book, HandBook for newcomers to Seattle. And on one of the checklists for apartment shopping is make sure if your getting a ground floor apartment is to make sure it has bars on the windows.

Is the Seattle area or just the city of Seattle? I'm not sure that I've ever seen bars on apt windows here. It's not common anyway. I've lived in bottom floor apts in Federal Way and Renton for about 7 1/2 yrs out of the last 12 or so and never had a break in. Not to my car either, ever...

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Is the Seattle area or just the city of Seattle? I'm not sure that I've ever seen bars on apt windows here. It's not common anyway. I've lived in bottom floor apts in Federal Way and Renton for about 7 1/2 yrs out of the last 12 or so and never had a break in. Not to my car either, ever...
It's from a handbook I got from Amazon about moving to and living in Seattle/east side. Bars on windows is a very bad sign. From what Ive read about the east side it's kind of hard to picture it being that bad, that's why I made the thread. There's gonna be times when my daughter is home alone and that the last thing I want to see happen is for someone to break in while she's there alone.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,704 times
Quote:
It's from a handbook I got from Amazon about moving to and living in Seattle/east side. Bars on windows is a very bad sign. From what Ive read about the east side it's kind of hard to picture it being that bad, that's why I made the thread. There's gonna be times when my daughter is home alone and that the last thing I want to see happen is for someone to break in while she's there alone.
Maybe that is a tip they put in all their handbooks?? It's kind of a weird one for this area...especially the Eastside. That would scare me off too. But if you come across apts that *do* have bars...I would say stay away from whatever areas they are in.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM

It's still disappointing to hear. I went to Hawaii 2 years ago to the north shore by the bonzi pipeline in a nice little bungalow on the beach. I was really shocked to see all the crime there as well. I mean I live in NW Jersey and can leave my car windows open at nite. (though I wouldn't because of the bats ) But then again the population here is very small compared to the dense population out there. (NW Jersey) There's a lot of compromise to be made in this move. But I still feel the quality of life is far better then here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area