Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 PM

719 posts, read 987,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Go away
Aww.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
*Silently shakes her head.*

So, uh, loud and proud Hawks supporter since 2013, right Gal?
In my case, yup, not ashamed. It takes a bit of time for a transplant to finally call a place home -- and I grew up in a Redskins household in a city without a pro team. Additionally, never realized the value of sports until I personally witnessed it transform this city. We as a family are now paying attention to baseball and soccer, too. My sister on the other hand, another transplant, has been a fan since moving here in 2002, albeit a mostly depressed one until recently.

Don't be so cynical. A lot of new fans and sports enthusiasts were created last year because we finally paid attention. There are lot of academic nerds in this town who never really got the appeal until living through the superbowl experience. My kids will likely be fans for life, regardless of whether or not we win against the Patriots.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 PM

391 posts, read 454,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
In my case, yup, not ashamed. It takes a bit of time for a transplant to finally call a place home -- and I grew up in a Redskins household in a city without a pro team. Additionally, never realized the value of sports until I personally witnessed it transform this city. We as a family are now paying attention to baseball and soccer, too. My sister on the other hand, another transplant, has been a fan since moving here in 2002, albeit a mostly depressed one until recently.

Don't be so cynical. A lot of new fans and sports enthusiasts were created last year because we finally paid attention. There are lot of academic nerds in this town who never really got the appeal until living through the superbowl experience. My kids will likely be fans for life, regardless of whether or not we win against the Patriots.
its still try-hard mode tho, ny/nj/philly fans would kill seattle fans any day

Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but, you should really be ashamed of yourself. You've just admitted to being the absolute worst sort of fan -- the one who couldn't care less until the wind is blowing their way. There's nothing cynical about my outlook -- any cynic would have abandoned the Patriots long before 2001. I didn't need a Superbowl ring glinting on Brady's fingers to make me love the team, and it didn't validate my affection for the Pats. They could go back to sucking tomorrow and three decades from now I'd still root for them.

But you? You're the lowest of the low. You didn't even care until they were on a roll. Where were you when the Seahawks were getting dumped on for decades? Nowhere. You weren't a fan, and you didn't become one until it was easy; until it was the most delightful of conveniences. You and all those like you who constitute these delirious, foaming-at-the-mouth bandwagoners represent everything that's wrong with sports. Rather than embrace noble traits like loyalty, perseverance, devotion, and love, you latch like some succubus onto the bleeding tit of faddism. "Oh! How EXCITING! *I* need to be a part of this! Weeeeee! Being a supporter is so fun! Tralala! Nothing's going to get me down, because the truth is, even if the Seahawks lose in 2 weeks, I've got nothing riding on this!"

In New England we have a term to describe people like you: pink hats. And they are about as scorned as human beings can be. True fans don't gain their loyalty on a whim, or through the purchase of an $80 jersey -- they earn it. They earn it by caring about something even if it doesn't always turn out the way they want. They earn it by braving the tough times.

You've earned nothing. You make me sick.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 01-18-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 PM

I wasn't a fan because I didn't even notice or care, true. New to football. May be different for my kids and a whole new generation, though. Regardless, my point was that last year forced me to take notice for the very first time ever. I now envy people who grew up feeling rooted to a team and city, through thick and thin. I didn't grow up with the same privilege, and I imagine most of the transplants here also did not. My kids are lucky. You were lucky.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
I like the Seahawks fan base they are pretty rowdy, they have a good college atmosphere at their games. Go Pats thou. Should be a great Super Bowl thou, can't wait.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
CRAZY WEIRD INSULTS <snip>
Have you considered other hobbies?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Go Hawks!

This isn't going to end after one more game in 2 weeks.

We have to 3-peat...

Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't grow up with the same privilege, and I imagine most of the transplants here also did not. My kids are lucky. You were lucky.
You grew up in a Redskins household -- you said so yourself. They suck right now -- they're absolutely horrible. Why not cheer for them?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 PM

We were out of state, my dad was and is a die hard fan with redskins everywhere in his house (though he loathes the team owner), I never got it. Football was his religion. No one else was like him in my small southern town. He had grown up in the D.C. suburbs, and that bond was forged for life. I get it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area