Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM

372 posts, read 398,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
They need to come up with something else, because that's not sexy. I really hope the rest of the country does not follow in its footsteps. If it does, you can guarantee yourself a nation full of eternally single adults, with a birth rate only being sustained by immigrants. Although I don't know if I'd prefer the approach that some immigrant men would make on women either.
I like to encourage any sort of behavior in others that helps increase my own odds of success.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
They need to come up with something else, because that's not sexy. I really hope the rest of the country does not follow in its footsteps. If it does, you can guarantee yourself a nation full of eternally single adults, with a birth rate only being sustained by immigrants. Although I don't know if I'd prefer the approach that some immigrant men would make on women either.
Actually, that passive-male m.o. is huge in Sweden, and it has the highest birthrate in Europe, or one of the highest. Go figure.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM

54 posts, read 59,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, that passive-male m.o. is huge in Sweden, and it has the highest birthrate in Europe, or one of the highest. Go figure.
Sweden has had a lot of immigrants in the recent decade or so.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:20 PM

127 posts, read 165,534 times
OMG - will this thread never die? Please, someone put it out of it's misery!!!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:33 PM

372 posts, read 398,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post
OMG - will this thread never die? Please, someone put it out of it's misery!!!
It's going to be on the internet FOREVER.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I took my wife to Koh Samui Thailand a few years ago. The Swedes are big time sun worshippers so many retire/visit there.

I'll never forget, we were at a restaurant that was owned by a Scandinavian chef. Sitting right behind us was a big group of Swedish guys in their early 20s. The odd thing is that they barely talked....at all. You could have heard a pin drop thruout their entire meal. Passive and quiet? Definitely.

What they did have going for them is that they pretty much all looked like Bjorn Borg's so doubt they have any problems picking up the ladies.

Later in the same trip, we went zip lining in a big group. We had a half dozen Swedish female college students in our mini bus. Same thing, they were quiet as church mice.

I came to the conclusion that there must not be a lot of small talk in Sweden. Young guy walks up to young lady. "Wanna bump sox? Ok"

Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I took my wife to Koh Samui Thailand a few years ago. The Swedes are big time sun worshippers so many retire/visit there.

I'll never forget, we were at a restaurant that was owned by a Scandinavian chef. Sitting right behind us was a big group of Swedish guys in their early 20s. The odd thing is that they barely talked....at all. You could have heard a pin drop thruout their entire meal. Passive and quiet? Definitely.

What they did have going for them is that they pretty much all looked like Bjorn Borg's so doubt they have any problems picking up the ladies.

Later in the same trip, we went zip lining in a big group. We had a half dozen Swedish female college students in our mini bus. Same thing, they were quiet as church mice.

I came to the conclusion that there must not be a lot of small talk in Sweden. Young guy walks up to young lady. "Wanna bump sox? Ok"
Yeah, they complain about the American penchant for small talk. You make them sound almost creepy, though.

And no, that's not how it's done ("wanna bump sox?"). Alcohol tends to be the preferred facilitator. They get drunk at parties, have drunk sex, try to remember each other's names the next day, or get a number, then decide whether or not they want to start dating. But they won't call it "dating". The first meeting is considered a non-date, a coffee meeting.

But there are exceptions, fortunately. I spent quite a bit of time during 2 summers hitch-hiking north/south through Sweden. Most people were friendly and talkative, who picked me up, but one guy was dead silent the entire ride, which was several hours. That one was a little weird. I'm not sure when this no-small-talk thing started. It may have been after my time.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's not that women play the game any better in Seattle, they just have such a massive upper hand that they don't have to try that hard with such an abundance of male attention on tap. Creates no sense of urgency to take anybody that seriously. I suppose this would be especially unnerving for guys who've relocated from more conservative parts of the country where people tend to pair up early.
Then why do so many women here complain about not being able to meet men ?

One girl in her mid-twenties recently told me, after only being here a couple of years, that had she stayed in Philadelphia, she'd be engaged or married by now, and she sounded pretty bitter about it.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:09 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
As far as the OP, I'm not really sure what to make of it/him.

My personal experience proves that it's absolutely possible to get laid in Seattle. No six figure salary necessary

That said - OP may be bitter and whiny, but testimonials like his shouldn't be ignored either. But I've heard both men and women complaining about dating here. Mostly probably women. Then again I've met both men and women who have done extremely well.

Then I'm reading this article on Vanity Fair about how young Wall Street guys in NYC sleep with like 5 girls in 8 nights on Tinder and I'm like - man, i wish i could do that. My Tinder game here's been like - meh - ok, but nothing really to write home about. I guess if you're a successful single dude in NYC , you have at least 20 chicks on your doorstep at all times - must be nice !

Its how each place ranks amongst others

So let's say that maybe I've smashed about 30 chicks over the course of about a decade of living here. Includes a couple of monogamous relationships (I don't cheat!). Ya but maybe if I'd been in NYC, it'd be more like 300, right ?

Last edited by W & C; 08-19-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 05:57 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
As far as the OP, I'm not really sure what to make of it/him. My personal experience proves that it's absolutely possible to get laid in Seattle. No six figure salary necessary
That said - OP may be bitter and whiny, but testimonials like his shouldn't be ignored either. But I've heard both men and women complaining about dating here. Mostly probably women. Then again I've met both men and women who have done extremely well.
Then I'm reading this article on Vanity Fair about how young Wall Street guys in NYC sleep with like 5 girls in 8 nights on Tinder and I'm like - man, i wish i could do that. My Tinder game here's been like - meh - ok, but nothing really to write home about. I guess if you're a successful single dude in NYC , you have at least 20 chicks on your doorstep at all times - must be nice !
Its how each place ranks amongst others
So let's say that maybe I've smashed about 30 chicks over the course of about a decade of living here. Includes a couple of monogamous relationships (I don't cheat!). Ya but maybe if I'd been in NYC, it'd be more like 300, right ?
What a classy way of putting it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area