Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM

739 posts, read 3,058,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
That'd be Van Gelder Cove, on Puget Sound. Home has a fascinating history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home,_Washington
Hah! Yeah they have enlightened me about the glorious past of Home. They have a book on it as well. Good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 PM

153 posts, read 220,514 times
If it makes any of you feel any better I am coming up from Tucson in a week and desperately looking forward to the Seattle version of hot

Old 07-07-2015, 12:46 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,056,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
(I am absolutely NOT built for hot, sunny days - is this how Californians feel in winter?)
This is how California feels all the time. I'd take rain over (very faintly possible) fame every single day.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,201,732 times
Wow, Seattle! Whatcha complainin' about?

Yes, your days have been hot but your dew point readings have been under 60 degrees, so that's bearable.

I check twice daily.

It's 3:30 am your time, and dew point is a comfy and crisp 52!

In Boston, dp is 64-65, shooting to an oppressive 70 for over a day. Those that follow dewpoints know its low to upper 70 dp now in parts of the country. Awful to most. FLA and TX are usually in the 70 plus range in sumner daily. Check Galveston, and it's upper 70s dewpoint in the day often now..

This 64 dp is considered humid but not oppressive, as meteorologists say. Your 52 dp we've had at times this summer, and its so sweet. Good sleeping conditions.

Same in PDX now. Dewpoint is in lower 50s, then temps will be over 90 with dp still 60 degrees or less.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 AM

I moved from Texas a few months ago. The outside is so much nicer, inside sucks due to no air conditioning. That's the problem- for me at least.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
I moved from Texas a few months ago. The outside is so much nicer, inside sucks due to no air conditioning. That's the problem- for me at least.
Exactly the same for me, except three years ago. Just get a portable AC (or window unit if allowed) and it works to a degree. But nothing replaces central AC. I miss at least having the option! I have no problem with up to 90 outside here as it's a dry heat. But anything higher than that sucks inside or out ha.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Wow, Seattle! Whatcha complainin' about?
Lack of central AC. Otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Good sleeping conditions.
Not without central AC! It doesn't cool down that much at night when it's 90+ during the day, then it just builds upon itself day to day when it's 90+ multiple days in a row. Plus our dew points are usually low 50s or lower. Recently, they have dabbled in the upper 50s and even low 60s. That keeps it really warm at night and just enough mugginess that it's uncomfortable.

So yeah, our problem is not necessarily the air temperature, it's the lack of central AC combined with the air temperature!

Plus it really depends on your home and how much sun it gets. My old place was just unbearable even when it was 80 outside as it primarily faced south and baked in the sun all day. My new place is not that bad since it primarily faces north. I will never get a south or west facing home here ever again!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Exactly the same for me, except three years ago. Just get a portable AC (or window unit if allowed) and it works to a degree. But nothing replaces central AC. I miss at least having the option! I have no problem with up to 90 outside here as it's a dry heat. But anything higher than that sucks inside or out ha.
I have 2 portable units with a third on its way. The sucky thing is I have a nice split ac system sitting in my garage but since I am renting and have a hoa, I can't install it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area