Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times

Advertisements

An evening would be nice but I can do most weekend days, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM

296 posts, read 232,505 times
If you ever visit the Olympic Peninsula, try Strait Slice Pizza in Port Angeles.

And they even sell it by the slice!

Old 04-08-2017, 04:43 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
http://seattle.eater.com/maps/best-p...le-restaurants

Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
What's the point in New York Style pizza? You're talking about a thin floppy pizza slice with sauce and cheeze on it, right? No stuff? Why do people go out of their way for that?

I don't get it.

(ducking)

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-08-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 07:34 PM

415 posts, read 490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Haven't been in Seattle all that long... but I've managed to try more than half of these... 13 already.

Beer snobs, you can keep your fancy pants complicated and overpowering craft beers.
I don't care about these.

Rainier or Coors Light are fine by me. In fact with pizza, these are a mucher better pairing than something too loud and strong tasting.

With pizza I'm harder to please. Not that I'm entirely a snob about it. I even do still enjoy frozen pizza. But if I'm going to the trouble to go out for it, it better be significantly better than that convenient treat I get from my own freezer.

I appreciate the simplicity of a plain cheese pie... Maybe mushrooms too... Not that I don't enjoy all kinds of toppings, but without all the jazz to distract from the flavor of the sauce and the constitution of the crust, it's a much greater challenge to make a plain pie sing beautifully as a soloist without the symphony of toppings to back it up.

Diana Holbrook doesn't see the point of NY style pizza.
That's ok. Different people have different tastes. I'm definitely not going to criticize or mock what she likes just because it's not my cup of tea. Perhaps my attitude of genuine tolerance is another thing makes me out of step in a place like Seattle, where everybody's an evangelist and arbiter of good-taste and correct-thinking.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I can be accused of a lot of things, but being an example of Seattle culture, or Seattle thinking, is not one (or two) of them.

I'm from the rural parts. And I'm mostly just ribbing a bit... I'm a smart aleck. I like pizza with all kinds of stuff on it and white sauce, so, I'm obviously not any kind of pizza truist. I'm just *uncultured* enough that if you handed me a NY pizza, I'd think we must not have had enough money for a good one, lol

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-08-2017 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I can be accused of a lot of things, but being an example of Seattle culture, or Seattle thinking, is not one (or two) of them.

I'm from the rural parts. And I'm mostly just ribbing a bit... I'm a smart aleck. I like pizza with all kinds of stuff on it and white sauce, so, I'm obviously not any kind of pizza truist. I'm just *uncultured* enough that if you handed me a NY pizza, I'd think we must not have had enough money for a good one, lol
I'm guessing that you've only had pizza that called itself NY pizza, but wasn't really. NY pizza can have toppings. NY Pizza can even have white sauce(which I like too.)
I grew up in the NY area, so it's what I'm most familiar with. Thin crust, but not too thin. Toppings, but not loaded with them, because the whole point is that you don't want it too floppy.
I think if you got handed a slice of real NY pizza(not the crap they call NY pizza), you'd say "Yum!"

Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Yes, Big Mario's Pizza in Capital Hill is a little sleazy in appearance with a dingy 70s working class look to it. With that said, I like their pizza by the slice since to me, it's pretty dang close to the pies I ate in both midtown Mannhatten, Brooklyn and in Jersey City back in the day.

I make it a point to go there at least once or twice a month since that part of Capitial Hill, at night, has that NYC feel to it. Plus, it's located near both a record/CD/DVD and bookstore.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's authentic. The pizza is good. The people who run it are nice. But...it's not New York pizza. It's Philadelphia pizza, not quite the same.
yeah I ate there a couple times when they were still on 1st Ave. He's a Philly guy. Pretty close. Most of your typical NY slice joints in NY serve garbage anyway and there's nothing special about it unless you go to a small handful of places.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
Another vote for Italian Family Pizza (They're now up the hill on Madison St.). Maybe not exactly NY style, but it's the most authentic east coast style pie I've had in Seattle (Owner is from Philly). Immediately reminded me of the stuff I've had out in the northeastern US cities when I tried it!

I'd probably be a customer every week if I lived around First Hill/CD/Capitol Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area