Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Just went to the Independent Pizzeria in Madison Park the other evening. As good as pizza in Brooklyn? No, but pretty damn tasty, relaxed vibe down by the lake too. Here is the link: The Independent Pizzeria
Independent Pizza is awesome and underrated. It ain't cheap, and no, it's not exactly NY style(sort of a NY-Neapolitan hybrid, but it's one of the best in the city. Don't get there at a busy time, however. it's small and can get mobbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
I'm from New York (Albany, father worked in NYC, visited a lot) and I really like Hot Mama's in Capital Hill:

700 Pine St, Seattle, WA 98122

It's been a few years so maybe my taste buds have died (it's certainly not quite as thin and crispy), but it's much better than the candied pizza crap I had to eat when I lived in DC. Gosh, DC-MD-VA pizza sucked. You'd think "a pizza oven is a pizza oven", but it's been really damn hard finding a good slice since leaving.

I wasn't a big fan of Brooklyn Bros. Everett. Home Run in Everett is okay, but not really NYC style. Kinda liked Lombardi's in Everett, but they were much different - full roasted garlic cloves on the pizza and other large toppings. Yum. Made up for the soggy-ish crust.
I'm from New Jersey, so I've got strong opinions about pizza. Hot Mamas is absolutely respectable. They put out a fine slice. Really good crust, and crust is everything.
I'm curious about Delancey's less fancy sister place on Capitol Hill: Dino's Tomato Pie.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 AM

191 posts, read 161,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm from New Jersey, so I've got strong opinions about pizza. Hot Mamas is absolutely respectable. They put out a fine slice. Really good crust, and crust is everything.
I'm curious about Delancey's less fancy sister place on Capitol Hill: Dino's Tomato Pie.
Yep! Love the crust

Sorry you're from New Jersey!

Kidding. What part ? I grew up in Leonardo.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
Yep! Love the crust

Sorry you're from New Jersey!

Kidding. What part ? I grew up in Leonardo.
Exit 8, Turnpike. Borough of Roosevelt, town of about 900 people , 20 miles east of Trenton.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:34 PM

415 posts, read 490,952 times
Quote:
New Jersey pizza is worthy of UNESCO World Culture Heritage honor.

Was a teenager in Morris County.
When my family moved there from California and and we had a chance to taste the Jersey Pizza, it was like scales falling from our eyes. We never knew what we were missing. We couldn't stop ourselves and binged several times a week. So fine.

Am pleased that NY style slice joints are exploding all over Capitol Hill.
Perfect?
Probably not.

But they do get the idea.

If only the Italians were a more bellicose and imperialistic people... they might invade us and liberate us from our feeble understanding about cuisine. Of course Italian pizza is still different than the stuff from the East Coast, but I'm sure we could still learn a few things from them.

Here's to Garlic & Olive Oil Ãœberalles!

Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
The answer to this question, sadly, is no.. However, Valermo's does make some great calzones and MOD makes great pizza, but it obviously isn't authentic New York Style Pizza. Personally, I prefer Chicago style pizza to New York pizza. Forget about finding authentic Chicago style pizza in Seattle. They don't even have an Old Chicago here, which, even though isn't authentic, is better than most pizza you can get anywhere in Seattle. One thing I missed about Boise was that place.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The answer to this question, sadly, is no.. However, Valermo's does make some great calzones and MOD makes great pizza, but it obviously isn't authentic New York Style Pizza. Personally, I prefer Chicago style pizza to New York pizza. Forget about finding authentic Chicago style pizza in Seattle. They don't even have an Old Chicago here, which, even though isn't authentic, is better than most pizza you can get anywhere in Seattle. One thing I missed about Boise was that place.
Rotse,
I have no problem disagreeing with you on politics. I still think you're a good guy. But...you prefer chicago pizza to New York? I may have to rethink that.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:15 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
Quote:
Rotse,
I have no problem disagreeing with you on politics. I still think you're a good guy. But...you prefer chicago pizza to New York? I may have to rethink that.
Show me a good New York Pizza and maybe I would change my mind..

Now that I think about it, I remember having a great New York Sicilian style pizza when I lived near Vancouver, WA from this place called Vinny's. The owners were a Sicilian family from Brooklyn and even imported an Italian chef from Napoli to cook some of their more unique dishes. That was quite phenomenal. It's been years though since I had any "New York" pizza that blew my mind. I know, I need to take a trip to New York one of these days and taste the real deal for myself.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:34 PM

415 posts, read 490,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Show me a good New York Pizza and maybe I would change my mind..

Now that I think about it, I remember having a great New York Sicilian style pizza when I lived near Vancouver, WA from this place called Vinny's. The owners were a Sicilian family from Brooklyn and even imported an Italian chef from Napoli to cook some of their more unique dishes. That was quite phenomenal. It's been years though since I had any "New York" pizza that blew my mind. I know, I need to take a trip to New York one of these days and taste the real deal for myself.
Nobody's obliged to like the same things.

Trust your nose and tongue.

If you like the thick stuff, knock yourself out.
I can enjoy thick Chicago-style pizza too. I also like tacos, chinese food and ice cream. They're all different categories of excellence.

I do rave about Italian Family here in Seattle, but it's still not perfect. Supposedly it's technically more Philly style than NY... but that's close enough in my opinion.

No pizza in New York ever be perfect fulfilment of NY style archetype fantasies either. I really like the sauce at Italian Family. Their crust is pretty good. Integration & execution can be hit or miss, but lacking competition, a pool of experienced pizza chefs or a clientele with expectations of a consistent particular product, they still do pretty well.

Good pizza's nice. Good company's more important.
Mediocre pizza can't really ever ruin good company.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
Nobody's obliged to like the same things.

Trust your nose and tongue.

If you like the thick stuff, knock yourself out.
I can enjoy thick Chicago-style pizza too. I also like tacos, chinese food and ice cream. They're all different categories of excellence.

I do rave about Italian Family here in Seattle, but it's still not perfect. Supposedly it's technically more Philly style than NY... but that's close enough in my opinion.

No pizza in New York ever be perfect fulfilment of NY style archetype fantasies either. I really like the sauce at Italian Family. Their crust is pretty good. Integration & execution can be hit or miss, but lacking competition, a pool of experienced pizza chefs or a clientele with expectations of a consistent particular product, they still do pretty well.

Good pizza's nice. Good company's more important.
Mediocre pizza can't really ever ruin good company.
The people at italian Family Pizza are really nice, too. That helps. And you're right. It's not that bad pizza doesn't exist in New York. It does. But when it's good....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area