Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times

Advertisements

The weather is not meant for everyone. Being a native, I can be happy with constant overcast and rain. What I cannot stand is when everyone else is grumpy - complaining, whining. If you can't take the rain, move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 02:11 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,977 times
Default Wait a sec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
The weather is not meant for everyone. Being a native, I can be happy with constant overcast and rain. What I cannot stand is when everyone else is grumpy - complaining, whining. If you can't take the rain, move.
Some of us hate where we live (Western Washington) but love who we live with (in my case, my husband) so we can't move unless and until that person moves or until we can't stand it here any more. Be a little generous, would you?

Although I would seriously love to move yesterday, my husband wouldn't, so one of the things I spend my time doing is visiting this board and giving my opinions as honestly as possible as to what I have learned since I moved here in 1993. There are those of us who see the great things Washington State has to offer but we personally just can't love this state because of the things we have found difficult here; it's a very personal thing.

Not every place is meant for everyone, but it is a great idea for anyone thinking about moving to be advised as best as possible as to what each of us has experienced in a particular area as well as where we came from originally. It helps folks make a better, more informed decision about moving here, which is what most people are looking for when they visit this site. If you want everyone who visits this board to say everything is wonderful, then you're on the wrong board.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,253 times
i like what bright said. i have lived all over the place- east south west alaska carribean
san diego etc. there is not a perfect place out there.
seattle is really pretty, laid back, dog friendly, lots of jobs.
i think it depends on your job- what you will be doing in a place that will make the place good. i became pretty isolated in seattle. the rain got to me. i just wanted to hibernate. i became a workaholic. i gained a bunch of weight. it was harder that anywhere i have ever lived to make real connections.
i hear light therapy is really good though. that being said after 4 years of seattle and 1 of portland i am applying for jobs where there is sun all of time. i just want to go sit in the sun for months on end.
as the woman just commented before Seattle is not for everyone.
you have to go where the best opportunities are for a better life.
good luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,471 times
Quote:
Some of us hate where we live (Western Washington) but love who we live with (in my case, my husband) so we can't move unless and until that person moves or until we can't stand it here any more. Be a little generous, would you?
There are other reasons too. For me, college. For others, careers. I'm sure those of us who hate it here would love to leave tomorrow, but simply can't rationally.

Quote:
And even if you don't have SAD at all- you might get it here. I got it after many years. I grew up in a snowy/cold/sunny in winter state and the novelty of the rain kept me happy for a few years then I got SAD from the darkness.

It can happen even if you start out without SAD! Of course it won't happen to everyone but it happens often enough to be a serious issue.
SAD seems to be cumulative. From the time I was born until I was about 19 years old, I had no problem with the weather here. And for transplants, the winters seem good at first, but after 3-5 years they end up hating them. The weather here isn't something you get "used" to; it's something that gnaws at you over time.

Quote:
There is no season change - there isn't a warmth that comes when Spring arrives...it's just blah all year long - EXCEPT in about Mid July when it gets near 70 degrees for about 6 weeks - then it's back to the gloom.
There really are only two seasons here: Summer and Gray. The first 6 months of Gray are pretty much the same: 40s and "chance of showers" almost every day. The last three months of Gray are slightly warmer, but still mostly gray as the name implies.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM

27 posts, read 100,279 times
Heavy fog/mist 150-200 days/year should be expected. The clear winter days are far and few betwen, but incredibly gorgeous and refreshing. summers ar nice with no humidity, 70's, some rain (maybe 1 day out of 10).

Of course,I've lived here since 1982 and have lived my entire life in the NW. I hate (OK, REALLY dislike...) Seattle for (1) the politics (waaaaaay too liberal), (2) the traffic (rush hour lasts for 4 hours) and (3) the weather (it just sucks). Of course, my wife and kids feel differently and we will stay here until the kids leave home (4-6 more years?).

S.A.D. is a real and condition and can be treated with meds, counsling or a little single malt!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
One might consider if you are prone to depression to begin with? Or if you are at a life stage that is more susceptible to depression? I think many people in Seattle would be depressed no matter where they live simply because of depression statistics...but I think the weather can exacerbate it. I am not prone to depression but I use light therapy, no anti-depressants and I exercise a lot to get through winter. I also try to get outside rain or shine though some days it can be hard. I managed okay. My kids don't seem to be bothered by it at all and we moved here last year from Texas when they were 4 and 7. If there are enough positives about Seattle for you, I think it's worth a try. We really love the great outdoors and everyday are amazed by the beauty here. We hiked Twin Falls yesterday and a part of Mt. Ranier today. IMO, there is a payoff for the rough winter weather if you really love being outdoors.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:31 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
I agree with those saying it's a personal decision - it really is. I don't think there is any way to tell how you are going to feel about a place until you have lived there for a while. Personally, the positives in the region (mild temperatures, outdoor activities, mountains, volcanoes, lakes, ocean, Portland, Vancouver, Victoria...) outweigh the negatives (weather, traffic and cost of living) by far. And two of those negatives (weather and traffic) I hate about where I live now anyway! I appreciate all the comments on this board whether they are positive or negative because they are part of the whole contribution of opinions. You don't want everyone saying what you want to hear. In the end, it's up to you to decide.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,164 times
I'd say traffic is worse than the grey. You have to deal with traffic every day no matter what.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Being from Los Angeles - the traffic here for me, has never been an issue.

Jobs are good, traffic is fine, lots of stuff to do, not too liberal, not too conservative, BUT

weather absolutely completely sucks.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
There are other parts of the country that are cloudy and rainy. Seattle has fewer hours of daylight than any other major US city other than Minneapolis in the winter, which is what I think really makes people feel gloomier in those months. Combine shorter hours of daylight with a cloud cover and sunset feels much earlier than it does on a clear day.

It isn't just the clouds - it is the clouds combined with our shorter days that really cut down on the amount of light.

Of course our summer days are longer than most other American cities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area